Thomas Sowell on diversity

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
“Can you cite one speck of hard evidence of the benefits of "diversity" that we have heard gushed about for years? Evidence of its harm can be seen — written in blood — from Iraq to India, from Serbia to Sudan, from Fiji to the Philippines. It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word.”
― Thomas Sowell

SamSpade

This is because - somehow - it's gotten into people's heads that diversity is a GOAL. It's not. It happens when you don't care about differences but are willing to consciously overlook them.

We have had problems in the past with racial, ethnic, religious and sexual discrimination and - when people were willing to just say, screw it, he/she is simply the best candidate, they've done well. It's what happened when coaches realized that putting blacks on their athletic teams meant - WINNING GAMES. It's what happened when Hollywood learned that putting Asian martial arts on the screen meant - big bucks.

It IS true that people tend to look to people like themselves when forming teams, building businesses, making partnerships, adding employees. It's natural. In high school, I remember two girls given an assignment for the school paper to make a crossword whose answers were other students holding prominence in the school. The two girls were black - every single person in the crossword was also black, even in a school that was 70% white and they managed to overlook the school's star quarterback and running back, the student body president, the captains of every sports team and the current homecoming king and queen. Why did they exclude them? They didn't know who they were. Never occurred to them.

EVERYONE does this. But it's myopia. You CAN benefit from diversity. But it is NOT A GOAL. It just happens when you do go just on merit but make a conscious effort to do that.

stgislander

PREMO Member
This is because - somehow - it's gotten into people's heads that diversity is a GOAL. It's not. It happens when you don't care about differences but are willing to consciously overlook them.
Unfortunately this has wormed its way into mainstream Protestantism. Not enough POC faces in the pews. The white guilt is thick.

I wonder if the congregants in Black Pentecostal churches worry about the lack of white faces in the pews.

SamSpade

Unfortunately this has wormed its way into mainstream Protestantism. Not enough POC faces in the pews. The white guilt is thick.

I wonder if the congregants in Black Pentecostal churches worry about the lack of white faces in the pews.
I used to go to the Church of Christ, many years ago. Aside from all of their many peculiarities - they can divide over some of the tiniiest hair splitting you can think of.

Once, on a trip to Philly, I walked all the way out to the CoC in West Philly from downtown for a midweek service, only to learn THEIR midweek was not held on a Wednesday, so I hoofed it through West Philly to ANOTHER church. And I got a lot of glares. I was welcome - but - I was also the only white person there. A lot of people DID want to talk to me, at least in church.

I finally got to the first church and met some nice people. A man from THAT church gave me rides and said "there was a white guy walking through here last week, and I heard people shouting at him - 'you in the wrong neighborhood, son' - now what kind of person says that?" I laughed and said, yeah, that was me, TOO. Met some wonderful people there too. Still the only white guy. I remember this one girl who'd taken a bit of a shining to me, and when I said I had to go home, only to be back the next week ALSO on business, she came up to me, put her hands on her hips and said "You rascal! You said you had to go home.". I laughed and said I did. I'm back.

Wow. I'd forgotten all of that.

But I get your point.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Diversity, supposedly, everywhere, right? Well .... except in Israel. The photo below was taken at the Ben Gurion airport. An international airport! A whole bunch of White people. Notice the lack of "diversity"? With them, it's all about do as we say, not as we do.

1679438987925.png