Woman Says That She Brings Her 'Emotional Support Person' On Dates Since The World Is A 'Scary Place'

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
That seems like a good idea but I could never use it.

I'm certain they don't have access to mental health records.
No, they don't! That's where my GFs come in! :jet:

FB_IMG_1691418602379.jpg

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I would NEVER bring anyone on a date like that. I don't online date - I tried it in 2020 and it served the purpose of getting back onto the social scene during rhe Pandemic. I had great luck and was super careful.

I check guys out pretty damn well as best as I can...with mutual friends, if possible. I check Case Search, I belong to a "paid Background checker" (monthly subscription). AND on social media, to the extent that I can. Even better if we have mutual friends that I can ask about him. Still, one totally mis-represented himself in a major way, which was sending out the red flags to my Spidey senses (which is why he was lying) and in a couple of weeks of my persistence in "asking" the right questions, we parted ways on a friendly basis. No biggie - I was glad about it. I recently found out he actually WAS lying ...and made sure he knew I found out, too. :lmao:

I also never go on any meet up or date, etc without telling someone (at least 2 people) I sometimes even tell Thing2 if I head out of the county alone if no one else will be around that I've told. My broad shouldered 28yr old son lifts weights and is a career FF, so...I make sure that makes it into the convo at some point, (with pictures!) as well. :evil: :lol:
8-10 years ago myself and a few girlfriends took on the online dating world together - probably when it REALLY got going with the websites becoming apps, etc. I think tinder was an option for us at some point, before it became a negative :lol: While we weren't on the prowl for strange, we didn't take it too seriously and had lots of fun comparing our stories and profiles, as well as keeping each other up to date on those to avoid, those to immediately block, etc. It wasn't always negative: one time my friend had one date and immediately realized he was better suited for another friend, so she showed him her profile and encouraged that connection. It was a better suit, but ultimately not for the long run. We usually saved double dates for further along into the dating...maybe #3 or 4?

anyways, we did all the usual stuff too before meeting in person: social media searches, case searches, GAL searches... :lmao: and of course, the group chat their info and date location too. Notifying friends has certainly saved the lives of lots of women.

and while I know the article is generally light, as well as the jokes around it, its supposed to bring another perspective. These women are not being a bunch of snowflakes, its not a made up threat, although in SoMD it likely is and feels relatively safer than dating in more popular area. I wish the attitude was less "...and they wonder why men don't want to date" and more realizations for "...wow, with all the things women have to prepare themselves with for a simple date, it's a wonder they still want to" :coffee:

FWIW my best friend and I both met our husbands thru online dating. Obviously, not against it! But if I have to do it again in the future...I likely...would not :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In light of feminism and women's equality, can you possibly imagine a guy bringing a 2nd on a date? He'd be dropped like a hot 'tater and ridiculed by his peers.

And a step further.... the 2nd the guy brings is a woman. A 'just in case' potential backup.

I've had guys bring a date buddy with them but not when it was like a blind date or something.

But there's dating and then there's dating. Not all dates have potential for romance and they don't start necessarily with that expectation. Like, a guy you "meet" on a dating website and agree to get together for dinner or something, that's just a casual thing unless it's clear that sparks are flying. And I usually don't get sparky until I've at least seen him in person. I have a couple of male friends I met through a dating site and during the date we agreed that we weren't a love connection so I hooked them up with a more compatible girlfriend. Guys never do that - "Hey, you're not my type but I have a buddy who'd be perfect for you...." but women do.

SamSpade

Guys never do that - "Hey, you're not my type but I have a buddy who'd be perfect for you...." but women do.
You MUST know men well enough by now to know, it's a rare thing for any man to know his friends THAT closely to have any idea what is going on in his life - in contrast to women, for whom that's most of what they talk about.

FWIW - I did used to know a few women who were always trying to hook me up with a friend of theirs - but in the final analysis, it really seemed like we were both just single people they knew, because not a single one of them were even close to a good fit.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I did used to know a few women who were always trying to hook me up with a friend of theirs
I had one of those friends too. I finally got her to stop when she tried to hook me up with an Irish gal complete with the heavy brogue, and very lesbian.

Kinnakeet

8-10 years ago myself and a few girlfriends took on the online dating world together - probably when it REALLY got going with the websites becoming apps, etc. I think tinder was an option for us at some point, before it became a negative :lol: While we weren't on the prowl for strange, we didn't take it too seriously and had lots of fun comparing our stories and profiles, as well as keeping each other up to date on those to avoid, those to immediately block, etc. It wasn't always negative: one time my friend had one date and immediately realized he was better suited for another friend, so she showed him her profile and encouraged that connection. It was a better suit, but ultimately not for the long run. We usually saved double dates for further along into the dating...maybe #3 or 4?

anyways, we did all the usual stuff too before meeting in person: social media searches, case searches, GAL searches... :lmao: and of course, the group chat their info and date location too. Notifying friends has certainly saved the lives of lots of women.

and while I know the article is generally light, as well as the jokes around it, its supposed to bring another perspective. These women are not being a bunch of snowflakes, its not a made up threat, although in SoMD it likely is and feels relatively safer than dating in more popular area. I wish the attitude was less "...and they wonder why men don't want to date" and more realizations for "...wow, with all the things women have to prepare themselves with for a simple date, it's a wonder they still want to" :coffee:

FWIW my best friend and I both met our husbands thru online dating. Obviously, not against it! But if I have to do it again in the future...I likely...would not :lol:
Did you all carry a satchel of rubbers with you at all times