Training Q & A

TotalElite

I am sorta a newbie to SOMD.com. Thought this thread might prove useful here.

I work at Calvert Cliffs now, but I was previously a personal trainer for many years. I am also an amatuer powerlifter.

Just thought I would throw my hat in the ring for those who may have a few questions about training. :howdy:

_MightyMouse_

_USMCScoutSwimmer_
TotalElite said:

I work at Calvert Cliffs now, but I was previously a personal trainer for many years. I am also an amatuer powerlifter.

Just thought I would throw my hat in the ring for those who may have a few questions about training. :howdy:

How does one look like MightyMouse? I mean I heard he was a big dude and all but would like your input on how you react when he walks into the gym. :shrug:

TotalElite

_MightyMouse_ said:
How does one look like MightyMouse? I mean I heard he was a big dude and all but would like your input on how you react when he walks into the gym. :shrug:

Listen homo, all you do is hyjack people's threads with your senseless, childish, pestering. Can't you contribute something of worth? You make me sick.

LOL. I heard MightyMouse wasn't that big! He actually trains at the Curve's near FoodLion. He says it makes him feel more "comfortable".

_MightyMouse_

_USMCScoutSwimmer_
TotalElite said:
Listen homo, all you do is hyjack people's threads with your senseless, childish, pestering. Can't you contribute something of worth? You make me sick.

LOL. I heard MightyMouse wasn't that big! He actually trains at the Curve's near FoodLion. He says it makes him feel more "comfortable".

The forum's would be boring otherwise without humor... Just because Curve's fired you as a personal trainer, don't resort to making false accusations to build your character.. :howdy:

TotalElite

_MightyMouse_ said:
The forum's would be boring otherwise without humor... Just because Curve's fired you as a personal trainer, don't resort to making false accusations to build your character.. :howdy:

I love the humor. :clap:

2-shay. I got nothing for you.

BuddyLee

Football addict
TotalElite said:

Hey personal trainer person; how does a stick-figure young buck with an ultra-high metabolism:drool: gain muscle mass? :snacks:

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BuddyLee said:
Hey personal trainer person; how does a stick-figure young buck with an ultra-high metabolism:drool: gain muscle mass? :snacks:

crickets

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
Here I'll contribute: What are good exercises to strengthen your back? I'm a cyclist and now that it is warmer, I am not in the gym as much. However, I would like to have a couple weight lifting days throughout the week. Thanks! :yay:

warneckutz

smoothmarine187 said:
Was Warnutz when we need him? Nevermind, he's at the gym.

HAHAHAHAHA... :smack:

Anyway...

A few good workouts for the back, eh?

Pull-Ups (aka Chin-Ups) either using your own body weight or an assisted pull-up machine. Vary your grip (both CLOSE and WIDE) to work the entire area.

Dumbbell (not SmoothMarine) Rows (Inner Back)

Wide-Grip, Under-Hand Barbell Rows (Outer Back-Lats)

Seated Cable Rows (again, both CLOSE and WIDE grip)

Hyper-Extension (targets the lower back)

Just a few things... :yay:

Lots of other exercises though.

-ANT

B

Big Fatty

forever jewel said:
Here I'll contribute: What are good exercises to strengthen your back? I'm a cyclist and now that it is warmer, I am not in the gym as much. However, I would like to have a couple weight lifting days throughout the week. Thanks! :yay:

1st, try not to fall into a bodypart connundrum. Keep a wholistic (sp?) view when it comes to weight training. I would recommend 2, full body, weight training days to start. Add a 3rd when you can. Don't train on back-to-back days.

2nd, for training the back, it is all about rowing and pulling. Pullups, pulldowns, and seated rows are my favorite go-tos. For lower back, there are a great myriad of exercises to pull from. Deadlifts of any variation are awesome.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Increasing Supporting Muscle/Tissue Strength After Surgery

Alright - I'll throw in a bone... I have a gym membership that I don't use. I also have had a recent neck injury involving the replacement of 3 cervial discs. I've been rethinking this week about going over and testing the waters.

And, before any responses are made, I am only putting this out there for info. purposes only.

I know longer use a collar or brace for my neck, and only use ice/heat and tylenol after chores, sitting at my desk, or working with my dogs to alleviate pain/spasms.

I don't see my surgeon for another month and was stuck at a 10 lb weight max for lifting, etc...at last visit but I'm pretty sure I have far exceeded that and moved up to the next category in my Spine Care manual.

I try to use appropriate lifting/bending techniques to support my neck recovery, but want to know if there are some LIGHT exercises to do that would help, not cause more spasms, to the local area - and also to my legs to even out my strenghth.

What say you?

warneckutz

Big Fatty said:
2nd, for training the back, it is all about rowing and pulling. Pullups, pulldowns, and seated rows are my favorite go-tos. For lower back, there are a great myriad of exercises to pull from. Deadlifts of any variation are awesome.

Deadlifts - :rolleyes: I need to get my back checked out so I can get into them :bawl:

B

Big Fatty

virgovictoria said:
Alright - I'll throw in a bone... I have a gym membership that I don't use. I also have had a recent neck injury involving the replacement of 3 cervial discs. I've been rethinking this week about going over and testing the waters.

And, before any responses are made, I am only putting this out there for info. purposes only.

I know longer use a collar or brace for my neck, and only use ice/heat and tylenol after chores, sitting at my desk, or working with my dogs to alleviate pain/spasms.

I don't see my surgeon for another month and was stuck at a 10 lb weight max for lifting, etc...at last visit but I'm pretty sure I have far exceeded that and moved up to the next category in my Spine Care manual.

I try to use appropriate lifting/bending techniques to support my neck recovery, but want to know if there are some LIGHT exercises to do that would help, not cause more spasms, to the local area - and also to my legs to even out my strenghth.

What say you?

A neck injury is a scary thing. I'm certain you are well aware.

Your posture on EVERY single exercise must not be compromised! Technique is paramount. Do some research, continue to ask questions (especially to your doc and PT), and try to find someone in the gym who knows their way around.

I'll refrain from giving exercise advice for the "local" area. I would need more information about you. Your PT or Ortho should be able to dispense this information with a visit or maybe even over the phone.
As for the rest of the body (i.e. legs), any exercise can be appropriate as long as it does not aggravate the neck. This may prove difficult at first. Pushing one's self can increase tension in the neck easily. Sooo, you'll have to continually test the waters. You will undoubtedly cause yourself some pain. Just be careful and manage the pain accordingly. As you get stronger the pain threshhold will be higher. Just try to be progressive with your routine. What I mean is, if you are doing bodyweight squats for 2 sets of 10 reps easily, increase the reps, or sets, or try holding some dumbbells for added resistance.
I could write a lot more, but this post would be huge. It would be useful to have more information too.

B

Big Fatty

warneckutz said:
Deadlifts - :rolleyes: I need to get my back checked out so I can get into them :bawl:

If you can bend down to pick up your kid, groceries, or whatever; you can deadlift.
:dance:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Big Fatty said:
A neck injury is a scary thing. I'm certain you are well aware.

Your posture on EVERY single exercise must not be compromised! Technique is paramount. Do some research, continue to ask questions (especially to your doc and PT), and try to find someone in the gym who knows their way around.

I'll refrain from giving exercise advice for the "local" area. I would need more information about you. Your PT or Ortho should be able to dispense this information with a visit or maybe even over the phone.
As for the rest of the body (i.e. legs), any exercise can be appropriate as long as it does not aggravate the neck. This may prove difficult at first. Pushing one's self can increase tension in the neck easily. Sooo, you'll have to continually test the waters. You will undoubtedly cause yourself some pain. Just be careful and manage the pain accordingly. As you get stronger the pain threshhold will be higher. Just try to be progressive with your routine. What I mean is, if you are doing bodyweight squats for 2 sets of 10 reps easily, increase the reps, or sets, or try holding some dumbbells for added resistance.
I could write a lot more, but this post would be huge. It would be useful to have more information too.

Thanks for the f/u :yay:

F/U w/surgeon is in a few weeks w/UTD X-Rays. We will discuss another bout of PT at that time.

I have had a variety and multiple PT & acupuncture bouts, including water therapy, prior to the surgery, just zero since - as I was not healing according to schedule (mostly due to multiple levels, and such - no BIG deal, just takes a much longer path).

Leg exercising, particularly walking/jogging (<~~just don't see me jogging) is A- OK; my upper torso and neck and shoulder/arm - those things which may compensate healing - are the muscles that are on restriction.

Maybe I'll make a phone call to the office and see if I can't have some info faxed home on more exercises to do safely here, there, anywhere - before entering into the gym.

Thanks again :biggrin:

warneckutz

virgovictoria said:
Thanks for the f/u :yay:

F/U w/surgeon is in a few weeks w/UTD X-Rays. We will discuss another bout of PT at that time.

I have had a variety and multiple PT & acupuncture bouts, including water therapy, prior to the surgery, just zero since - as I was not healing according to schedule (mostly due to multiple levels, and such - no BIG deal, just takes a much longer path).

Leg exercising, particularly walking/jogging (<~~just don't see me jogging) is A- OK; my upper torso and neck and shoulder/arm - those things which may compensate healing - are the muscles that are on restriction.

Maybe I'll make a phone call to the office and see if I can't have some info faxed home on more exercises to do safely here, there, anywhere - before entering into the gym.

Thanks again :biggrin:

I'd double check with the Doc. When I was training clients, I always checked with their physician to make sure I understood the exact problem and what the doctor recommends.

Geek

warneckutz said:
HAHAHAHAHA... :smack:

Anyway...

A few good workouts for the back, eh?

Pull-Ups (aka Chin-Ups) either using your own body weight or an assisted pull-up machine. Vary your grip (both CLOSE and WIDE) to work the entire area.

Dumbbell (not SmoothMarine) Rows (Inner Back)

Wide-Grip, Under-Hand Barbell Rows (Outer Back-Lats)

Seated Cable Rows (again, both CLOSE and WIDE grip)

Hyper-Extension (targets the lower back)

Just a few things... :yay:

Lots of other exercises though.

-ANT

:lmao: