Old Camcorder tapes

D

dems4me

With VHS on its way out... how do I convert my tapes that I have onto a CD? I have an older camcorder, you put the little tape into a VHS adapter (plastic contraption thing that looks like an real VHS tape) and pop it into a VCR player - how would I convert all my old camcorder footage from using one of these onto DVDS or CDs or whatever???? Any hope for these old tapes ?? :shrug: Any suggestions? :shrug:

dems4me said:
With VHS on its way out... how do I convert my tapes that I have onto a CD? I have an older camcorder, you put the little tape into a VHS adapter (plastic contraption thing that looks like an real VHS tape) and pop it into a VCR player - how would I convert all my old camcorder footage from using one of these onto DVDS or CDs or whatever???? Any hope for these old tapes ?? :shrug: Any suggestions? :shrug:
Could buy/borrow a DVD recorder and hook it up to your VCR player and hit play and record or send it off and have it converted professionally to either format.

dems4me said:
Thanks!!! that looks like the way to go!! I just need to blow the dust off the vcr and see if it has a compatible jack for the USB 2.0 :clap:
It sounds like it just uses the regular video and audio outputs on the VCR. The device must then convert to digital and shoot it through USB to your drive.

D

dems4me

desertrat said:
It sounds like it just uses the regular video and audio outputs on the VCR. The device must then convert to digital and shoot it through USB to your drive.

my head just exploded :crazy:.... can you try to dumb that down for me?

D

dems4me

Wisecrackin" said:
Let me know if it works for you..I have a TON of VHS tapes too :lmao:

If I get it up and running, I can charge .50 cents a tape to recoup the cost of this thing :lol:

D

dems4me

Pasofever said:
GREAT put me down for about 500 :lmao:

You have that many :shocking: Wow! How long does it take to do one tape :shrug: I guess you can't really do this in fastfoward mode or something :shrug:

Makavide

Not too talkative
Be creative with it

Get a nice copmuter with a video capture card, DVD burner and some good video editing software.

then record your video into the computer in segments. In other words, your video tapes probably have two or three different events on them - birthday, followed by easter egg hunting, followed by snow ball fight, etc. So when recording to the computer, you start and stop the recording on each segment, leaving you with three video files in the example above.

then with your video editing software, combine them all with fade in and titles, and what not. Maybe integrate digital still pictures between the video files that show time prgression, or filler, overlay with various music files over the still pictures and maybe the video files when the original sound is not good.

Then the computer can put it all together in one file, for output onto a DVD.

Takes a little longer then just copying directly from tape to dvd, but it comes out a whole lot better (well, in my opinion).

For information - the video conversion I am currently working on is from 3 video cassettes with about 1.5 hours total video time and about 100 digital pictures and it has taken me about 8 hours so far, figure I have another 4 more hours to go to get it all integrated. Then it will be time to hit the "make movie" button and the computer will then take about 2 hours to "create" the movie but I don't need to be there for that. 15 minutes per DVD to burn, and 15 minutes per DVD to label and viola. Not that quick, but it looks a little better than a direct conversion, plus I have a copy on the hard drive as well as DVD.

Last edited:
D

dems4me

Makavide said:
Get a nice copmuter with a video capture card, DVD burner and some good video editing software.

then record your video into the computer in segments. In other words, your video tapes probably have two or three different events on them - birthday, followed by easter egg hunting, followed by snow ball fight, etc. So when recording to the computer, you start and stop the recording on each segment, leaving you with three video files in the example above.

then with your video editing software, combine them all with fade in and titles, and what not. Maybe integrate digital still pictures between the video files that show time prgression, or filler, overlay with various music files over the still pictures and maybe the video files when the original sound is not good.

Then the computer can put it all together in one file, for output onto a DVD.

Takes a little longer then just copying directly from tape to dvd, but it comes out a whole lot better (well, in my opinion).

For information - the video conversion I am currently working on is from 3 video cassettes with about 1.5 hours total video time and about 100 digital pictures and it has taken me about 8 hours so far, figure I have another 4 more hours to go to get it all integrated. Then it will be time to hit the "make movie" button and the computer will then take about 2 hours to "create" the movie but I don't need to be there for that. 15 minutes per DVD to burn, and 15 minutes per DVD to label and viola. Not that quick, but it looks a little better than a direct conversion, plus I have a copy on the hard drive as well as DVD.

Thanks! :yay: Good idea!! I'll give it a try! :yay: Can I call you, pm you and email you with all questions I might have? :smile: :flowers:

Makavide

Not too talkative
aps45819 said:
You must not read a lot of Dem's posts

It is fairly easy to do this - most of the software out in the stores is follow the bouncing ball type. the hardest part is getting grouping the pictures with the appropriate song.

I'd say it's so easy even a caveman can do it, but I'm sure someone would come along and twist it, implying I was calling Dems a caveman.