moving from san francisco to southern maryland....will I be dissillusioned?

Diana

:cheesy: Hello! help me and tell me am I thinking too much of southern Maryland. I cannot wait till we move to Charles or St mary's counties next year and my husband is afraid that I am excited over nothing.
Living in San Francisco with the kids is hard. Our yard is the size of a postage stamp, its not safe for them to play out front on the sidewalk and we pay nearly $1500 dollars amonth rent for our small two bedroom flat.

I am envisioning myself in an old fixer upper on a couple of acres in the middle of beautiful country side.
I am picturing a lovely lack of urban sprawl and the nearest Walgreens, eckards or Rite Aid being at least a twenty minute drive away.
I am envisioning dinner out at crab houses drinking beer and cracking the crabs myself and folks who wear baseball caps because they like to and do so without apology.

I see hot summers, snowy winters and changing leaves in fall....am I going to be let down....?? Or is this pretty accurate an account of a possible life in Southern Maryland?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hi, Diana, and welcome! I don't think you'll be disappointed with SoMD. A lot of people are unhappy with the lack of nightlife around here but it's still a great place to raise kids. There are several nooks and crannies where you can have a home with land, away from the chaos.

It will be a culture shock after SanFran but I think you'll be happy here. The winters haven't been particularly snowy lately nor have the summers been really hot but there is a definite change of season and the leaves turning in the fall is a wonder to behold!

Y

yornoc

You are not too far off but the area is growing.

Crime is much, much lower down here. As for house/land, Calvert County usually has a slightly better deal.

Welcome and good luck!

tater

Hi there,
Welcome, I don't think it will be too much of a shock at all, there are alot of similarities between S.F. and St. Mary's county :D .

You have: Golden Gate Bridge We have: Solomon's Bridge

You have: Trolleys We have: Amish buggies and
road apples

You have: Rice-a-roni We have: Stuffed ham

You have: S.F. Giants We have: Church league softball

You have: California Speedway We have: Budd's Creek

You have: fruits We have: fruits

See, same-same........... easy transition :yay:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Diana
I am envisioning myself in an old fixer upper on a couple of acres in the middle of beautiful country side.
I am picturing a lovely lack of urban sprawl and the nearest Walgreens, eckards or Rite Aid being at least a twenty minute drive away.
I am envisioning dinner out at crab houses drinking beer and cracking the crabs myself and folks who wear baseball caps because they like to and do so without apology.

Wow! :cheers: You can find all that here.
And we will gladly welcome you, because you sound like someone who actually wants to enjoy southern MD without all the complaining.

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
The crabs are the BEST part! :)

And we USED to have real winters with snow, but since I've moved to Calvert Co. two years ago, we have YET to have a decent snowfall! (The good news is that I haven't had to shovel the snow off my long unpaved driveway!)

If a quiet, country lifestyle is what you want, you will definately like it here! That's why I moved here, too!

watercolor

yeah yeah
I am from S.F. myself. That is where we moved here from. I will have to agree, that you will and can find a fixer upper, on acreage if you look in the correct places, and also, will find that it is safe for your children to play, but then again, keep in mind that there are cooks everywhere. But all and all, it is nice here. Even though, I was freaking out here, cause I was use to the city life, and I still think I would be. but since I have moved here, I have not become a country girl, but I have become more suberbia (sp) now more, than a fast paced city girl.

I think you will like it here. *smile* It has grown on me. *smile*

Also, just keep in mind, the summers are TOTALLY different here though. That is my only downfall. I liked the summers at home, better, because the humidity factor...was zilch there. But otherwise...its good :cheesy:
but let me know, if you want me to look up something on the MLS system for you...for a fiver upper, and all...I can take a look for ya!

Last edited:

tater

Re: Re: moving from san francisco to southern maryland....will I be dissillusioned?

Originally posted by Sharon

Wow! :cheers: You can find all that here.
And we will gladly welcome you, because you sound like someone who actually wants to enjoy southern MD without all the complaining.

My last post was just a feeble attempt at humor. Wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers ;)

tater

Originally posted by watercolor23
*shrugs*

....I thought it was funny....*snickers*

Thanks, good to know that it IS still possible these days to make a little joke every now and then without offending someone or sending them into a defensive frenzy.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Tater

Originally posted by tater
My last post was just a feeble attempt at humor. Wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers ;)
You didn't ruffle any feathers here!:D

I was referring to some people who feel they are stuck here in hicksville because of their jobs. I guess they find it hard to believe that people actually enjoy living here as much as I and so many others do.

Diana, I hope you will love it here too! It really is a nice place. :getdown:

tater

Whewwwwww, glad to hear it Sharon. I really didn't mean anything by it. I make jokes, but I do realize that if I DIDN'T like it here, nobody is holding a gun to my head to stay. Have a great night :)

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Whewwwwww, glad to hear it Sharon.
Dang Tater, whatcha think I was gonna do?

Jump thru the monitor and wring your neck! :spank: :lmao:

You have a good night too!;)

tater

Originally posted by Sharon

Dang Tater, whatcha think I was gonna do?

Jump thru the monitor and wring your neck! :spank: :lmao:

Well, I was a little skeered about that very thing. Wait..... that can't really happen can it?? Yikes, if it can, I guess I'll have to stop sitting at the puter with my scooby doo boxers on. Talk about embarrassing. Anyhooooo............yes, Dianne....... I think you will find just what your looking for here. Actually, Southern MD reminds me a little of my home (Southwest Missouri, near Branson). Pretty country-fied and laid back :)

G

giggles04

Hi there,
Welcome, I don't think it will be too much of a shock at all, there are alot of similarities between S.F. and St. Mary's county :D .

You have: Golden Gate Bridge We have: Solomon's Bridge

You have: Trolleys We have: Amish buggies and
road apples

You have: Rice-a-roni We have: Stuffed ham

You have: S.F. Giants We have: Church league softball

You have: California Speedway We have: Budd's Creek

You have: fruits We have: fruits

See, same-same........... easy transition :yay:

Oh my goodness!! Too funny! I love it!!!

Diana

Thanks All!

:D
I am so pleased by all the prompt positive responses!
Should I be much concerned about crime ? On the demographics siteson the web, my area code in San Francisco brings up incredibly low crime stats...and everywhere in Charles and St Mary's counties murder and assualt are way up there...(!)
I grew up in central Florida and I'm hoping that the statistics are mostly reflecting family feuds or bar brawls....that's the only sort of violence I ever saw myself growing up in the South...LOL!
I was born in DC though....My husband is from Ireland and wants to know is there much of a soccor or rugby following anywhere in Southern MD and how to get a hold of an adult league....anyone know?

We are leaving next thursday for a family reunion in La Plata and will drive around aimlessly like fools looking at the surrounding counties....

I must say...I've read a few threads before I registered here...one of them spoke about manners....You give your state too little credit in the manners department...Every person and business I have telephoned with requests about schools and relocation information has been so patient and pleasant! And now I feel the same hospitality here... Cheers!

ohstate

The Washington Post Sunday edition has a "Southern MD extra" section (if you get it here), and they always have a posting from a southern md. rugby club trying to recruit players of any age and ability. I'm sure your husband would be more than welcome!

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
And once you get here, the local paper, the Enterprise, always has Recreation and Parks listings about soccer. I'm not familiar with the outdoor leagues, but I know in the fall there is all types of indoor leagues, co-ed and everything else. I also see them playing rugby and soccer in front of Leonard Hall Academy and near the College of Southern Maryland campus in Leonardtown. There are all kinds of Rec and Parks leagues to get into.

As for the home site, the immediate area around the base is becoming more and more crowded. If you want a place away from our "heavy traffic," I would suggest southern Calvert or Ridge, Tall Timbers/Piney Point, Medley's Neck, Compton -- nothing like the famous one you have out there -- Clements, Chaptico and anywhere in the Seventh District. You'll learn what the Seventh District is when you get here.