New V Star

garyt27

INAFJ
Hey folks, took the MSF course at So. Md. C.C. Bought new bike today. Rode home from White Plains. Read the manual and rode around the neighborhood. I am Having a slight problem with taking off, Seems to stall sometimes but not all the time. I was wondering if anyone has any Ideas other than rider error. There is a Poker Run starting from Skores on 6/16 12n. Yamaha V-star 650. Cruiser :yahoo: :cartwheel

itsbob

I bowl overhand
garyt27 said:
Hey folks, took the MSF course at So. Md. C.C. Bought new bike today. Rode home from White Plains. Read the manual and rode around the neighborhood. I am Having a slight problem with taking off, Seems to stall sometimes but not all the time. I was wondering if anyone has any Ideas other than rider error. There is a Poker Run starting from Skores on 6/16 12n. Yamaha V-star 650. Cruiser :yahoo: :cartwheel
If this is your first bike, I'd suggest you hold of on any group rides or poker runs until you become more accustomed to your ride.

Can you take off on your bike at idle? Practice doing that for awhile on level ground, in first gear, try to get rolling just using your clutch, no throttle.. This will help teach you clutch control, and if you find it impossible to do, then there MIGHT be problem with your bike.

Fuel injected or Carbs?

garyt27 said:
Another Star rider, cool! You'll get the hang of the throttle clutch combo in taking off. Little more throttle probably would help. Don't be afraid to get moving! Make sure the bike is well warmed up too.

garyt27

INAFJ
Throttle control

itsbob said:
If this is your first bike, I'd suggest you hold of on any group rides or poker runs until you become more accustomed to your ride.

Can you take off on your bike at idle? Practice doing that for awhile on level ground, in first gear, try to get rolling just using your clutch, no throttle.. This will help teach you clutch control, and if you find it impossible to do, then there MIGHT be problem with your bike.

Fuel injected or Carbs?
It's Carbs. Its not impossible, I have been successful most of the time, it just seems like sometimes it does'nt want to cooperate. The poker run is a short one, around 231 thru St. Marys Back to Lusby VFW

garyt27 said:
It's Carbs. Its not impossible, I have been successful most of the time, it just seems like sometimes it does'nt want to cooperate. The poker run is a short one, around 231 thru St. Marys Back to Lusby VFW
Confidence. :yay:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
itsbob said:
Congrats on the new bike :yay:
Poker run isn't a group ride, It a bunch of folks going the same place.

Mattawoman chapter of the SCRC is having a brunch at Lenny's tomorrow, 0900. We'll be going over group riding etiquet, rules and hand signals.
Then we'll head over to the airport for a little pratice and then a short ride around the county.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
_MightyMouse_ said:
There is a ride tomorrow from Hughesville Harley to Bear Creek starting at 11 if anyone is interested...
That's the Hospice ride.
$30 gets you a t shirt, lunch at bear creek, a speech from Steny
and a big group ride with a lot of folks that have no idea how to ride in a group.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
garyt27 said:
I have one of those, also and am a new rider. I killed mine all the time when I first started riding it, but I had a bad clutch. Got a new clutch and realized I was just not giving it enough when I took off. MORE THROTTLE is all I can say, even if it feels like it's too much, just hit it and go. The V-Stars are heavy in the front.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
aps45819 said:
That's the Hospice ride.
$30 gets you a t shirt, lunch at bear creek, a speech from Steny
and a big group ride with a lot of folks that have no idea how to ride in a group.
I have no desire to ride in a group. Too much crap to pay attention to. I'd rather not.