Grrrrrrrrrrr.....

Qurious

Im On 1.
HELP!!!!

So I catch a flat this weekend. BF puts the spare on (the rim is rusty...the bad orange rust). He puts it on anyway. I'm driving to work this morning and the car starts shaking really bad...im getting ready to curse his ass out because I'm thinking he didnt put the lugnuts on tight enough.

I get to work and only 3 lugnuts are on out of 5. He drops by my job to check it out and sees that not only are 3 lugnuts on but the 2 that are missing are really missing. There is nothing to screw replacment lugnuts on to at all!!! Those things must've snapped right off while I was driving this morning....

aren't the things you screw the lugnuts onto attached to the brake? How could they just snap off? How much is something like this going to cost to fix? I can't even drive home from work now *sigh*

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Does your car have nuts going onto studs or bolts going into the wheel?
If you have a VW, there are no lug nuts.

fddog

Bow wow
Qurious said:
HELP!!!!

So I catch a flat this weekend. BF puts the spare on (the rim is rusty...the bad orange rust). He puts it on anyway. I'm driving to work this morning and the car starts shaking really bad...im getting ready to curse his ass out because I'm thinking he didnt put the lugnuts on tight enough.

I get to work and only 3 lugnuts are on out of 5. He drops by my job to check it out and sees that not only are 3 lugnuts on but the 2 that are missing are really missing. There is nothing to screw replacment lugnuts on to at all!!! Those things must've snapped right off while I was driving this morning....

aren't the things you screw the lugnuts onto attached to the brake? How could they just snap off? How much is something like this going to cost to fix? I can't even drive home from work now *sigh*
:lmao: the thingys are studs, and they go in the hub. Your used rim is bent and sheared them off or you have a bad bearing in the hub

Qurious

Im On 1.
aps45819 said:

im gonna go with "nuts going onto studs" u have to screw them on.

Qurious

Im On 1.
fddog said:
:lmao: the thingys are studs, and they go in the hub. Your used rim is bent and sheared them off or you have a bad bearing in the hub

thanx!

now...

if i have a bad bearing in the hub, how does that usually occur?

and....

could the spare tire perhaps been put on incorrectly and sheared them off?....the rim was only rusted...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Qurious said:
HELP!!!!

What kind of car??

itsbob

I bowl overhand
aps45819 said:
Bimmers are the same.. I think the bolts on my rear tire are the same as the ones on my office mates 325...

fddog

Bow wow
Qurious said:
thanx!

now...

and....

could the spare tire perhaps been put on incorrectly and sheared them off?....the rim was only rusted...
the bearing goes bad over time and use, the rim could be bent and the vibration you had, could've caused the studs to break

Qurious said:
thanx!

now...

and....

I'm thinking put on wrong. Perhaps not seated so when it got loose enough the rim started working on the bolts and broke them off. You were very close to losing the wheel entirely. You should be able to go to an auto parts store and get new studs and nuts. To check for a bad bearing just wiggle the hub, but circumstances are pointing another direction. Check to see that the holes in the hub for or the studs didn't get rounded out.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
desertrat said:
You should be able to go to an auto parts store and get new studs and nuts.
Same idiot BF that changed her wheel and didn't tighten the lug nuts wouldn't be able to change the studs :lol:

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
Qurious said:
98 Ford Windstar

I have an 99 Windstar and something similar happened to me. Last year I got a flat returning from out of town with my three kids. My DH was not with us, so I pulled over got out and stood there for a minute or two thinking wth am I gonna do on this busy highway with 3 kids. I realized no one was going to stop and help and everytime an 18 wheeler went by, the van would rock and I could see the kids getting scared. So I get the jack out and start jacking the van up. At first I couldn't budge the lugnuts, but after a few tries, I finally got all but one loose (there are 5). I could not budge that thing, so I am so frustrated and upset, so at this point I call VA Highway Patrol. Two cops responded, the first was a young rookie cop and the other a retiring cop. The rookie decides he will try to help me with the last lugnut and as soon as he did it snapped in half. I could tell he was upset, but I said don't worry, if I could have budged it, it would have probably been me that broke it. They helped me put the spare on with 4 lugnuts and drive to the nearest emergency roadside stop. The guys there gave me a new tire and put a 1/2 size lugnut on the broken stud. I haven't had any problems with it.

carolinagirl said:
I have an 99 Windstar and something similar happened to me. Last year I got a flat returning from out of town with my three kids. My DH was not with us, so I pulled over got out and stood there for a minute or two thinking wth am I gonna do on this busy highway with 3 kids. I realized no one was going to stop and help and everytime an 18 wheeler went by, the van would rock and I could see the kids getting scared. So I get the jack out and start jacking the van up. At first I couldn't budge the lugnuts, but after a few tries, I finally got all but one loose (there are 5). I could not budge that thing, so I am so frustrated and upset, so at this point I call VA Highway Patrol. Two cops responded, the first was a young rookie cop and the other a retiring cop. The rookie decides he will try to help me with the last lugnut and as soon as he did it snapped in half. I could tell he was upset, but I said don't worry, if I could have budged it, it would have probably been me that broke it. They helped me put the spare on with 4 lugnuts and drive to the nearest emergency roadside stop. The guys there gave me a new tire and put a 1/2 size lugnut on the broken stud. I haven't had any problems with it.
Yeah, those monkeys in the tire shops with the torque wrenchs bug the crap out of me. I've had to snap off more bolts than I can count and then when you go complain about it they claim it can't happen. Really? Ever watch them put a whell on? There's a certain order to follow, not just cw or ccw. Do they follow it? Right. That is why we had to replace the front disk on the TBird.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Qurious said:
HELP!!!!

So I catch a flat this weekend as we returneded from the insurance agent, where we had purchased a half million in life insurance with double indemnity for accidental death. BF puts the spare on (the rim is rusty...the bad orange rust). He puts it on anyway. I'm driving to work this morning and the car starts shaking really bad...im getting ready to curse his ass out because I'm thinking he didnt put the lugnuts on tight enough.

Fixed

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
aps45819 said:
:offtopic: I saw an Eos today. I'm not a fan of convertibles, but damn I want that car. :drool:

sgt_turmoil

when the lug nuts were put on there is a tourque sequence that has to be followed to make sure all of them are tightened to the same pressure, if not they can wiggle loose from road vibration and just fall off. i keep a tourqe wrench in my truck and the original owners manual that has the tourque sequence and tourque pressure listed in it. tell the bf to stay away from your car

C

Crombie

I had this happen to my old car. Lugs falling off left and right.