Baby Birds

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
We had a few trees, that were partially dead, removed from our yard yesterday. When we got home last night, several of the neighborhood kids including my seven year old were in the partially wooded area were the trees were removed. They were all huddled around, so I went outside to find out what they were doing and they told me they found three baby birds. These birds are tiny, no feathers, eyes shut. They look as if they just hatched. I called every animal rescue number I could find last night, but I never reached anyone. Does anyone know of someone who would come rescue these babies and what I could do in the meantime to keep them alive? Besides chewing worms and regurgitating them that is. :lmao:

I

Inkpen

carolinagirl said:
We had a few trees, that were partially dead, removed from our yard yesterday. When we got home last night, several of the neighborhood kids including my seven year old were in the partially wooded area were the trees were removed. They were all huddled around, so I went outside to find out what they were doing and they told me they found three baby birds. These birds are tiny, no feathers, eyes shut. They look as if they just hatched. I called every animal rescue number I could find last night, but I never reached anyone. Does anyone know of someone who would come rescue these babies and what I could do in the meantime to keep them alive? Besides chewing worms and regurgitating them that is. :lmao:

PM me.. I know a rehabber who love baby birds.. I can pick up and transport...But for now..keep warm, in a box lined with toilet paper, and keep box dark.
Babies will think it is night time and will not need to eat for a while.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Inkpen said:
PM me.. I know a rehabber who love baby birds.. I can pick up and transport...But for now..keep warm, in a box lined with toilet paper, and keep box dark.
Babies will think it is night time and will not need to eat for a while.

Where are the babies located..I am headed to the base at 2:30 then headed to a rehabbers house and can take them for you if you want...

jenbengen

Watch it
Pasofever said:
Where are the babies located..I am headed to the base at 2:30 then headed to a rehabbers house and can take them for you if you want...

There are some really nice people on these boards. You guys are so sweet!

I

Inkpen

Pasofever said:

She is up in Charles Co. Was given M.M.'s number..called and left message last night.
She got my note and called me..we talked and instructions passed on and a meeting place agreeded upon IF birds need rehabbing.
Thanks everyone!
What a place..great networking!!! :howdy:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Inkpen said:
She is up in Charles Co. Was given M.M.'s number..called and left message last night.
She got my note and called me..we talked and instructions passed on and a meeting place agreeded upon IF birds need rehabbing.
Thanks everyone!

Ok and I dont mind feeding them for a few days either till everyone gets straight...baby birds are pretty easy

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
Inkpen said:
Thanks everyone!

:yeahthat: Thanks for all the responses.

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
Pandora said:
:lol: Glad you are square.

None of the boys poked them did they?

As I told Inkpen, the poor birds are probably traumatized. The girls were worse than the boys, I think they wanted to raise the birds themselves. I had about 6 girls running around picking leaves and digging for worms trying to feed the poor things. I lost count of how many times I had to open the back door and say -"leave the poor birds alone"! They were carrying them around and when I told them to put them down, they put them in on some leaves on the stump where the tree was. The stump is about 8 inches high. The poor babies would wiggly and roll and evently fall off the stump and the girls would all cry "ahhh", pick them back up and put them back on the stump. I finally had to tell them to make a bed on the ground so they wouldn't get hurt from all the falling.

Not to mention how many times I had to make then kids wash their hands. Then I am running outside everytime a parent walks up in the cul de sac to get their kids and telling them the baby bird story and that they need to make sure they wash up good. :faint:

HorseQueen

I know..

Contact Bunny Magic's owner. They are a rabbit rescue but when I found a blind duck they took him right in and got him back up to health; then releasing him back into the wild. I am not sure if they would take the baby birds but they took the duck, I named Cheddar... why not some birds? lol. The worst they will say is no.

Cowgirl

HorseQueen said:
Contact Bunny Magic's owner. They are a rabbit rescue but when I found a blind duck they took him right in and got him back up to health; then releasing him back into the wild. I am not sure if they would take the baby birds but they took the duck, I named Cheddar... why not some birds? lol. The worst they will say is no.

So...did they release a blind duck back into the wild? Or was it able to see when they released it?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Hey Carolina did the little babies make it to the rehabber? I hope they made it safely...baby birds are easy to take care of and are easy to release..glad you gave these guys a chance..