Goals

Magnum

Should be Huntin
After working out for about 6 months now I have realized that I have not set any specific goals. I mean most people say I want to loose this amount or decrease my pants size by this. I have thought and tried to figure out a goal but I just can't think of one that would really work for me. My reason for starting to work out was to get my arm moving again after I broke it a couple years ago. I have lost 30 pounds, from where I do not know :lmao:, my arm is still tight, still grinds when I rotate it but I can now at least lift it over my head.

So does anyone out there have goals set? Anyone already meet their goal?

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Magnum said:

Relatively speaking, my goal, post my surgery is not only to be pain and spasm free, but to be able to do strengthening/tightening exercises. I'm looking forward to PT, as such, in that I can at least be guided for now, towards not only healing, but also having a better posture, improving muscle tone and increasing my odds for doing other things that I like, like yoga and such.

B

Big Fatty

Magnum said:
After working out for about 6 months now I have realized that I have not set any specific goals. I mean most people say I want to loose this amount or decrease my pants size by this. I have thought and tried to figure out a goal but I just can't think of one that would really work for me. My reason for starting to work out was to get my arm moving again after I broke it a couple years ago. I have lost 30 pounds, from where I do not know :lmao:, my arm is still tight, still grinds when I rotate it but I can now at least lift it over my head.

Aesthetic goals can be very challenging in terms of the specificity of the goal. You are correct, most people do not get realistic with these type of goals. They generalize them and often let the mind get in the way. What I mean is their goals are not realistic or reachable. They set themselves up for failure.
Persons making a comeback from an injury often do the same. It is easier however to reach a recovery goal depending on the injury. Reeastablishing range of motion simply requires patience and determination.
I am a competitive powerlifter. Setting goals and attaining them is a matter of putting for effort towards the numbers I want to achieve. For example, on 13Jan07 I made my goals for the year. I wanted to squat 600, bench 525, and deadlift 525. By 31Mar07 (My 1st 07 competition), I surpassed my goals and set new ones.
Proper goalsetting is integral if one plans to achieve what one wants.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Big Fatty said:
Aesthetic goals can be very challenging in terms of the specificity of the goal. You are correct, most people do not get realistic with these type of goals. They generalize them and often let the mind get in the way. What I mean is their goals are not realistic or reachable. They set themselves up for failure.
Persons making a comeback from an injury often do the same. It is easier however to reach a recovery goal depending on the injury. Reeastablishing range of motion simply requires patience and determination.
I am a competitive powerlifter. Setting goals and attaining them is a matter of putting for effort towards the numbers I want to achieve. For example, on 13Jan07 I made my goals for the year. I wanted to squat 600, bench 525, and deadlift 525. By 31Mar07 (My 1st 07 competition), I surpassed my goals and set new ones.
Proper goalsetting is integral if one plans to achieve what one wants.
I hear you. The thing is I do not know what goal I want to set. I mean I really do not care how much I weigh or the size of my pants, I am not competitive lifting so numbers don't bother me. 6 years ago I would have said otherwise. I pushed too hard too fast, working out improperly and wound up blowing out my wrists. I dropped like 40 pounds in a couple months, then put 35 back on in 3 months I lifted steady and hard for a good 6 months. I increased my bench about 150-200 pounds in that timeframe, my curling increased 3 times from when I started. Now I am nowhere near as strong as I used to be, In fact I would hurt myself by trying to get there again like I did before. I was working only my upper body, chest and arms one day shoulders and back the next, a day off then repeat. I was taking the old ripped fuel which made me :jameo: My wrists still give me problems today. Now I am working out totally different. I started off really light due to my arm, I still am not pushing the weight like I could. Instead of 10-20 pound increases a week like before I might jump 5-10 pounds in two weeks. I feel stupid lifting these light weights but I know it's what is best for me. Last week on my arm day I felt my wrists starting to hurt again, time to go get a new set of gloves with wrist supports I guess.

Vince

I never set any goals for working out. I just go to the gym everyday and workout. It's easier unless you have alot of weight you want to drop. I could stand to lose about 10 lbs., but I'm not setting any time limit to do it. :shrug:

J

julz20684

Vince said:
I never set any goals for working out. I just go to the gym everyday and workout. It's easier unless you have alot of weight you want to drop. I could stand to lose about 10 lbs., but I'm not setting any time limit to do it. :shrug:

Geesh, I wish it was only 10 for me. I have a goal of 40...I'm counting calories every day but I always eff up on the weekends. Problem is I am having trouble even making my calorie count to 1500 a day...some days I only eat about 700; my Dr. says that's as bad as going over.

Exercising is my worst. I initially started a walking routine but since my move that's gone by the wayside. I need to start back up....motivation and follow through is my worst enemy!

Magnum

Should be Huntin
julz20684 said:
Geesh, I wish it was only 10 for me. I have a goal of 40...I'm counting calories every day but I always eff up on the weekends. Problem is I am having trouble even making my calorie count to 1500 a day...some days I only eat about 700; my Dr. says that's as bad as going over.

Exercising is my worst. I initially started a walking routine but since my move that's gone by the wayside. I need to start back up....motivation and follow through is my worst enemy!
Maybe you could find a walking partner. Pair up so you both can help be accountable for the other person. :yay:

J

julz20684

Magnum said:
Maybe you could find a walking partner. Pair up so you both can help be accountable for the other person. :yay:

I would have a great work out partner here on base, but he goes in a 6 am to the gym and I just can't do that early.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
julz20684 said:
I would have a great work out partner here on base, but he goes in a 6 am to the gym and I just can't do that early.
I go in at 3:30, real hard to find someone that early.

Maybe check around, I'm sure there is someone out there that might just need a little push to start working out.

J

julz20684

Magnum said:
I go in at 3:30, real hard to find someone that early.

Maybe check around, I'm sure there is someone out there that might just need a little push to start working out.

That's okay you can have the 3:30 shift. Yeah a little prodding around and I'm sure I will...thing is I need the right person to show me how/what/proper use of what I need to accomplish what I want to accomplish. I'm not joining a gym rather using the facilities on base...as far as I know there aren't any trainers.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
julz20684 said:
That's okay you can have the 3:30 shift. Yeah a little prodding around and I'm sure I will...thing is I need the right person to show me how/what/proper use of what I need to accomplish what I want to accomplish. I'm not joining a gym rather using the facilities on base...as far as I know there aren't any trainers.
I know the gym I go to has personal trainers who are not employed by the gym. One lady has a trainer meet her there at 4 am 3 times a week. Maybe you could search for a private trainer down there. BF and War might help you out :lmao:

J

julz20684

Magnum said:
I know the gym I go to has personal trainers who are not employed by the gym. One lady has a trainer meet her there at 4 am 3 times a week. Maybe you could search for a private trainer down there. BF and War might help you out :lmao:

BF/War :confused:

J

julz20684

Magnum said:
:lmao: :lmao: Big Fatty and Warnekutz They are from down there and might know someone

Oh, I don't know them.

Forgot to ask you, how was your camping trip on Memorial Day weekend?

Magnum

Should be Huntin
julz20684 said:
Oh, I don't know them.

Forgot to ask you, how was your camping trip on Memorial Day weekend?
Oh it was a blast. I cut it short though. I got there Thursday night, I left right after I left ya'll at the party.

This weekend was pretty crazy. Baited 2 trot lines Friday night, got drug out to the bar till 1 got up at 5 went crabbing, cought a good bushel, off the water at 12, eating crabs at 2:30, Drug back to the bar again at 3:30 got to my cousins where I was staying this weekend at 3:30 in the morning :jameo: :jameo: Left his house at 9 then got home and went into recovery mode :lmao: Ran hard this weekend, haven't done that in a long time.

J

julz20684

Magnum said:
Oh it was a blast. I cut it short though. I got there Thursday night, I left right after I left ya'll at the party.

This weekend was pretty crazy. Baited 2 trot lines Friday night, got drug out to the bar till 1 got up at 5 went crabbing, cought a good bushel, off the water at 12, eating crabs at 2:30, Drug back to the bar again at 3:30 got to my cousins where I was staying this weekend at 3:30 in the morning :jameo: :jameo: Left his house at 9 then got home and went into recovery mode :lmao: Ran hard this weekend, haven't done that in a long time.

:otter:

B

Big Fatty

julz20684 said:

Julz

I used to manage the Navy's Fitness Center's in D.C. I believe Jason Fean or Hal(can't remember last name) manage the Fitness Facilities at Pax. If you contact one of them, they will get you the instruction you desire. Are you military? Contractor? Might get that instruction for free too. I have been out of the MWR loop for a year now. Policies change all the time. It was free to everyone in D.C. Pax falls under the regional COC so they should be free too. Not certain what they have in terms of quality though.
I am not affiliated with Pro Fitness in Wildewood but I do workout there. I could help you there if..... up to you....
Getting a GOOD trainer down here is hard to come by.... (Sorry Warneckutz, it's true)