Dry Dock restaurant Solomons

ohstate

Does anyone know where the former chef at Dry Dock went? IIRC, his name was Ben. He made a great steak, and the rest of his stuff was very good too. If he's still local, I'd want to check out his new place. Thanks!

mingiz

Horse Poor
I could possibly find out. A friend of mine used to be a chef there and now she just does all there deserts. I'll ask her, she may know..... :howdy:

ohstate

Thanks! We went last weekend for the first time in ages, and I think the place has really changed, and not for the better. The place was not very full considering it was a Saturday night. We had our choice of dining inside or out. The atmosphere and location can't be beat, but for those prices, I want great food. Sad, really, because we were once fairly regular diners there. We almost never have dessert, so this is no comment on your friends work. The female chef that was there a few years ago definitely put out better food than what we had last weekend. Ben could always cook a steak to perfection. There was a time when he was splitting duties with another cook. I'd find out who was cooking before deciding how to order my steak - rare or medium rare. I like medium rare, but if the other guy was cooking, I'd order rare so it wouldn't come out overdone :)

Thanks again for the offer...

mingiz

Horse Poor
I talked to my friend this morning. She is baking right now for the DD. She said that Ben quit and went back to NJ to take care of his parents who needed help. She doesn't really know the new chef. I haven't eaten there since my friend quit as chef. She is da bomb when it comes to food. Her deserts are the bomb too!!!!

LordStanley

I know nothing
I was at the dry dock 2 weeks ago. I thought the food was great!!!

Just goes to show that no matter how you cook food or what you have on the menu, you cant please everyone.

ohstate

mingiz said:
I talked to my friend this morning. She is baking right now for the DD. She said that Ben quit and went back to NJ to take care of his parents who needed help. She doesn't really know the new chef. I haven't eaten there since my friend quit as chef. She is da bomb when it comes to food. Her deserts are the bomb too!!!!

I'm sorry to see him leave the area. We've met the new chef and eaten there once recently. The menu no longer changes daily and they don't allow substitutions anymore (at least not on weekends, according to the wait staff). I thought the food was bland an unimaginative, especially compared to what they used to serve. I think his influences are more french (heavier, cream sauces). The crab stuffed shrimp were loaded with bell peppers, so much that the delicate flavor of the crab was overwhelmed. If I'm eating crab, I want to taste it. The shrimp had no seasoning that I could detect. The softshells were smothered in cream sauce. The steak was advertised as having as mole sauce, but what he calls mole is not the mole I know and love. All four of us decided that it was highly unlikely that we would bother going back. Which is sad, because it used to be one of our favorite places.