Alternative Health Club Options

oriolefreak

It seems that a lot of people get tired of Health Clubs and their high monthly membership fees. If a health club type place was to open and was strictly cardio (no weights, classes, etc.) and membership was up to 50% less than your typical club, would you consider it as an option? Just curious what people think of this idea. I know a good bit of people that pay full price a health club and end up only using the cardio equipment. I feel people are paying for things (classes, etc.) that they will never use.

oriolefreak

But what if you could have the same for $20 a month? That would be $240 a year instead of $420. That's a big difference.

oriolefreak said:
But what if you could have the same for $20 a month? That would be $240 a year instead of $420. That's a big difference.
I see one major flaw in this idea. Cardio equipment is very expensive. In a normal gym setting... you have folks spread out using weight machines, free weights and attending classes... not just focused on cardio equipment. In a gym completely focused on cardio equipment, each and every person who shows up will be expecting to be able to hop on a machine for most likely an average of an hour. I don't see how you will be able to afford the space, pieces of equipment and on going maintenance. You will lose clientelle when they show up only to find the equipment is always in use or turned off for maintenance.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
I would like to see a health club...just cardio or not...open 24/7. But hey, that's just me...and a whole different subject.

_MightyMouse_

_USMCScoutSwimmer_
It depends alot on how serious one is about the gym. I would pay up to 45 a month as long as it accommodated my likes and location too is imperative. Exercising is a big part of my life, so a reasonable gym membership fee that includes state-of-the-art equipment is expected...

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I go to Curves. Not really a gym, but it's 30 minutes, the gals chat and better than nothing at all. Really. If I joined a gym, I probably wouldn't go. This is, at least, something.

B

Big Fatty

When I 1st saw the title of this thread and MightyMouse was commenting; I was thinking ghey. Upon reading more into it, still ghey.
I used to manage/work at health clubs and while this is a feasible idea, it is retarded. Simply no benefit/profit to make in opening such a place. I could be wrong but CARDIO ONLY is retarded.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Big Fatty said:
I could be wrong but CARDIO ONLY is retarded.
Not for someone who can't physically handle weights and equipment. Some people only like to run or take classes.

When I used to go to World Gym in Leonardtown, there were a few elderly women that would come in every once-in-a-while, hop on the treadmill for 20 minutes and leave. Maybe they came earlier (or later) and hit the free weights. :shrug:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Chasey_Lane said:
Not for someone who can't physically handle weights and equipment. Some people only like to run or take classes.

When I used to go to World Gym in Leonardtown, there were a few elderly women that would come in every once-in-a-while, hop on the treadmill for 20 minutes and leave. Maybe they came earlier (or later) and hit the free weights. :shrug:
:yeahthat: At least if they're doing cardio, they're doing something. :shrug:

Toxick

Splat
oriolefreak said:
If a health club type place was to open and was strictly cardio (no weights, classes, etc.) and membership was up to 50% less than your typical club, would you consider it as an option?

:howdy:

I would love this. I spent most of my teens, 20's and early 30's working on building mass, and bodybuilding. Now that I'm getting up there, and I'm more interested in spending time with my kids instead spending time on my pecs, I think this is perfect.

Since I stopped going to the gym, I pretty much stopped exercising altogether. If a 1/2 price cardio venue was available, you bet your ass I'd be there.

B

Big Fatty

Chasey_Lane said:
Not for someone who can't physically handle weights and equipment.

Chasey, with all due respect, if this is the case for someone they must be a parapalegic or a lump of goo.
I understand that some activity is better than no activity. It just doesn't make it less retarded.
I am a BIG believer in less cardio, more weights. As the human body ages you lose muscle quicker than you lose cardiorespiratory function. This is a gross oversimplification of the fact but nonetheless true.

B

Big Fatty

BS Gal said:
:yeahthat: At least if they're doing cardio, they're doing something. :shrug:

But is this "something" getting them the results they desire?

B

Big Fatty

Toxick said:
:howdy:

I would love this. I spent most of my teens, 20's and early 30's working on building mass, and bodybuilding. Now that I'm getting up there, and I'm more interested in spending time with my kids instead spending time on my pecs, I think this is perfect.

Since I stopped going to the gym, I pretty much stopped exercising altogether. If a 1/2 price cardio venue was available, you bet your ass I'd be there.

Dude, since the birth of my daughter, I agree with half of what you are saying. I just choose to not spin my wheels so-to-say with "cardio-only". Why not invest the 30 minutes spent on cardio into weight training? You can ALWAYS get a good cardio work out with your kids!! :yay:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Big Fatty said:
But is this "something" getting them the results they desire?

I know for a while all I did was the treadmill at home. I felt like muscles in several places got very well toned.......To each his own, I guess. Right now, all I'm doing is Curves and my attendance is sporadic, at best. I am working on forcing myself to go at least 3 x a week. I applaud anyone that has made a commitment to regular exercise, no matter what they choose.

Last edited:
B

Big Fatty

BS Gal said:
I know for a while all I did was the treadmill at home. I felt like muscles in several places got very well toned.......To each his own, I guess. Right now, all I'm doing is Curves and my attendance is sporadic, at best. I am working on forcing myself to go at least 3 x a week. I applaud anyone that has made a commitment to regular exercise, no matter what they choose.

BSGal

I stand by my question still. All that matters is results. I don't care what people choose either. As long as they get the results they are aiming for. Generally speaking, doing cardio only doesn't work for most folks, i.e. retarded.
This is a fact though. Anything may/can work, nothing works forever, the only constant is change.