Since when are ospreys social?

bohman

Saw something really impressive this morning on Webster field. Seven ospreys circling around together, in relatively tight formation. I almost mistook them for buzzards, just because I've never seen more than two or three ospreys together. And I assume that situation is normally a mature adult and its offspring.

I suppose this was two nesting pairs and their offspring? Family friends? I just figured they were too territorial for that sort of thing. Whatever, it was fun to see that many together.

Jameo

What?!
I noticed 5-6 osprey over my house yesterday evening doing the same thing :shrug: It was pretty cool to stand there and watch & listen to them.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Yesterday I saw 4 osprey in the nest at route 4 and 5. And a few others were hanging out close by too.

Last edited:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
CMC122 said:
Yesterday I say 4 osprey in the nest at route 4 and 5. And a few others were hanging out close by too.
I see that nest every day! We have a nest here at work in the cell tower. I have not seen the babies flying yet, though.

Danzig

I was shocked to see these where they were a few days ago.

Attachments

• Turkey032.jpg
    Turkey032.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 185

danceintherain

The Solomons Island Biological Center (behind Bad Fish) has live video feed of an osprey nest just off the shore there. It was neat to watch and see the babies during their flight lessons. I think all the babies have left the nest now though. But they may have the video you can watch. There is also a live under water camera that is cool to. My kids loved it.

Rael

Supper's Ready
Went to Sandy Point by the Bay Bridge yesterday (for the first time, even though we've lived here years). We walked out along the beach toward the bridge all the way out on the rocks maybe 15 feet from an Osprey's nest.

A couple other guys came out after us with their camera wanting to take pictures of the bird, but it (the only one we saw) was hunkered down with only the head above the nest. Mid-afternoon-ish.

So then he started throwing rocks at the nest :mad: to try and stir it to get it to come up so he could take a picture, which will likely be boasted as "Look at the picture I took of this Osprey making a desperate landing to feed its young that I had the photographic savvy to capture after hours of pre-positioning and waiting while earning the bird's trust", or something Wild Kingdom-ish. Not trying to be negative, but it really bothered us why he would do that.

Moron. [End rant/sarcasm].

bohman

Rael said:
So then he started throwing rocks at the nest :mad: to try and stir it to get it to come up so he could take a picture, which will likely be boasted as "Look at the picture I took of this Osprey making a desperate landing to feed its young that I had the photographic savvy to capture after hours of pre-positioning and waiting while earning the bird's trust", or something Wild Kingdom-ish. Not trying to be negative, but it really bothered us why he would do that.

Moron. [End rant/sarcasm].

It would have been awesome if somebody from the DNR/NRP saw him do that. I'm pretty sure that you don't get a citation for that, just an ass-whoopin' handed out on the spot. :lmao:

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
I was laying on a raft in my pool Thursday evening. I opened my eyes and about 4 turkey buzzards were circling above me. :lmao: I went inside.

R

Rienell

I was laying on a raft in my pool Thursday evening. I opened my eyes and about 4 turkey buzzards were circling above me. :lmao: I went inside.

:lmao:

(Every time I go to the dump down there at the Solomons, those nasty things are skulking around.... always try to get a few of them with the truck, but that big, ominous bulldozer from hell is always in the way, spoiling my turkey buzzard bowling. :banghead:)

Last time I was at North Beach, I saw some ospreys had built nests on some pylons by the pier. Beautiful birds.

I

Inkpen

(Every time I go to the dump down there at the Solomons, those nasty things are skulking around.... always try to get a few of them with the truck, but that big, ominous bulldozer from hell is always in the way, spoiling my turkey buzzard bowling. :banghead:)

Last time I was at North Beach, I saw some ospreys had built nests on some pylons by the pier. Beautiful birds.

Good thing we have them..they eat most of the road kill done by humans.
Otherwise State/County highway would never keep up with the bodies.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Trust me, you do NOT want to hit a buzzard.. even buzzards won't eat a dead buzzard, that's how nasty they are.. You'll NEVER get rid of the smell, and when you hit them they'll probably throw up and crap all over your truck too..

I

Inkpen

Trust me, you do NOT want to hit a buzzard.. even buzzards won't eat a dead buzzard, that's how nasty they are.. You'll NEVER get rid of the smell, and when you hit them they'll probably throw up and crap all over your truck too..

Rescued one the other day...

How to transport one?

Wrap well in a huge sheet that you will not want to keep, no matter how many times you wash it..

Carry with head facing far away from your body...cover head with sheet when placing in solid cardboard box that you will throw out with the sheet.

Drive fast..work on bird in big open field on a table so smell will not enter house....

They smell and can "hurl" their stomach contents a good distance....:barf:

(Sadly, the bird had a shattered leg and a injury to its eye, and there was no way to save the bird, so it was humanely euthanized.)

Rescued one the other day...

How to transport one?

Wrap well in a huge sheet that you will not want to keep, no matter how many times you wash it..

Carry with head facing far away from your body...cover head with sheet when placing in solid cardboard box that you will throw out with the sheet.

Drive fast..work on bird in big open field on a table so smell will not enter house....

They smell and can "hurl" their stomach contents a good distance....:barf:

(Sadly, the bird had a shattered leg and a injury to its eye, and there was no way to save the bird, so it was humanely euthanized.)

Wow....:shrug: Never would have thought a bird could be so revolting..