Tire & wheel Storage quaestion

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
Tire & wheel Storage question

I just put some new chrome wheels and a new set of tires on my truck. I still have the OEM wheels & tires and was thinking about pulling those out for the winter months.

I am getting ready to go out and clean the OEM tires and wheels up. I'll likely put a coat of Meguiar's #40 Rubber cleaner/conditioner on the tires and likely will hit the rims with a coat of cleaner wax as well.

My question is this. When storing wheels with the tires on them should I leave the air pressure as it is? In other words what is recommended on the tire. Or should I deflate all the way or just partially?

Last edited:

PJumper

Jeff said:
I just put some new chrome wheels and a new set of tires on my truck. I still have the OEM wheels & tires and was thinking about pulling those out for the winter months.

I am getting ready to go out and clean the OEM tires and wheels up. I'll likely put a coat of Meguiar's #40 Rubber cleaner/conditioner on the tires and likely will hit the rims with a coat of cleaner wax as well.

My question is this. When storing wheels with the tires on them should I leave the air pressure as it is? In other words what is recommended on the tire. Or should I deflate all the way or just partially?

Leave a 15 PSI pressure on the tire, keep it away from sunlight( to slow down deterioration), and store it standing up (to keep its shape), not on the sides.

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
Thanks, I have made the mistake of storing on the sides before. Ended up with nice little imprints of the lettering on the sidewalls.

I just got my chrome rims back yesterday after having been sideswiped the first week of June last year. I got Two Guys in Californina to do the bodywork and they were going to send the 2 damaged rims out to be reconditioned. Well, 1 Year, 1 Month and 1 week later I finally got my rims back.

I'll clean these OEMs up and store them per your input. I'll likely bag them up in trashbags to lessen the likelyhood of having to reclean them again in the fall.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
Just got done cleaning them and put a good coat of Meguiar's #20 Sealant on the Rims and a coat of #40 on the tires. Not often I have the wheels and tires off the truck. Sure makes cleaning them easier. I think I'll put a trash bag over them tonight and let the #40 soak in then tomorrow apply a 2nd coat of #40 and then a coat of Meguiar's #21 on the rims.

I like that #40 Rubber cleaner/conditioner. It really does a great job of soaking in and not just laying on the surface. I figure that should help reduce any discoloration from storage them for months in the shed. I might just leave the trash bags on them as well. Hopefully when winter comes I can just pull them out and put them on without having to clean them.

Last edited: