Insomnia

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Alright, I'm finally braking down and asking the asylum for assistance here.

I haven't had a good nights sleep in two weeks. In fact it has been getting progressively worse andhaven't had any sleep at all in the past two nights.

I'm leary of "sleep aids" but I think it's gotten to the point I hae to give it a shot.

Any input would be appreciated. :yay:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Lugnut said:

I haven't had a good nights sleep in two weeks. In fact it has been getting progressively worse andhaven't had any sleep at all in the past two nights.

I'm leary of "sleep aids" but I think it's gotten to the point I hae to give it a shot.

Have you tried taking Benedryl?

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
Lugnut said:

Vodka. :cheers:

In all seriousness, what's keeping you up? Worry? Spawn? Stupid cat? Or just can't sleep?

onebdzee

off the shelf
Lugnut said:

I have tried all the "sleep aids" known to man(I think)....the one that works the best for me is Tylenol PM

MMDad

Lem Putt
Lugnut said:

I agree with avoiding prescription sleep aids unless absolutely necessary. I realize they are needed by some people, but it seems like they are bieng way over prescribed.

OTC sleep aids are usually benadryl, so I don't like using them. The usually take a couple of hours to knock me out, and then I feel tired all day.

Read up on Melatonin. It is OTC, considered safe, and low risk of side effects. It helps me get to sleep, and I feel like I sleep deeper.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
MMDad said:
I agree with avoiding prescription sleep aids unless absolutely necessary. I realize they are needed by some people, but it seems like they are bieng way over prescribed.

OTC sleep aids are usually benadryl, so I don't like using them. The usually take a couple of hours to knock me out, and then I feel tired all day.

Read up on Melatonin. It is OTC, considered safe, and low risk of side effects. It helps me get to sleep, and I feel like I sleep deeper.

Same here with most sleep aides. They don't help me get to sleep and I feel like a** the next day. Melatonin didn't do much for me either (DSPS), but it did make me more irritable (possible side effect.)

M

missperky

I had insomnia since my dad getting sick and got worse after his death, I had to get sleep, I am on ambien, have been for a couple months now. :yay:

M

missperky

I had tried OTC sleep aids, no results. I also tried Lunesta, no results.

nobody really

I need a nap
Lugnut said:

A huge shot of nyquil. you'll sleep like a baby. :coffee:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Dear Karma giver. I'd love to try that but I recently got rid of my ummm, "assistant" for that particular sleep aid... :lmao:

Pandora, thanks for the idea but for right now I think I need somthing a little more immediate.

Chain, tried having a discussion with captain morgan but that didn't work out at all.

I think I'll start with an OTC and see how that goes first.

Jameo

What?!
missperky said:
I had insomnia since my dad getting sick and got worse after his death, I had to get sleep, I am on ambien, have been for a couple months now. :yay:

I took ambien a few years. Knocked me out within a few minutes. Slept like a baby for 8-9 hrs and woke up feeling great!

kerriellen

Is something bothering you (except for the not sleeping of course)? If not, try one of the OTC sleep aids. If that doesn't help, go to the doctor and get a short course of Ambien. I've also used a sleep hypnotherapy CD that helps me fall asleep every time. I never made it thru to the end of the CD.

nightowl

Lugnut said:
Dear Karma giver. I'd love to try that but I recently got rid of my ummm, "assistant" for that particular sleep aid... :lmao:

Are your hands missing? (you know you set yourself up for that one) (just teasing)

Seriously though just regular motrin (3-4) usually do the trick for me.

Last edited:
J

julz20684

Lugnut said:

Pandora, thanks for the idea but for right now I think I need somthing a little more immediate.

Chain, tried having a discussion with captain morgan but that didn't work out at all.

:howdy: I agree that the best OTC is Tylenol PM (take two).

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
julz20684 said:
:howdy: I agree that the best OTC is Tylenol PM (take two).
Whenever I take Tylenol PM, I can only take one pill, and I have to take it relatively early in the night - say before 9:00. That way, when I do finally lay down for the night, the medicine has already kicked in and I can go to sleep almost immediately. Also, by taking it earlier in the night, it wears off before the alarm clock, so that I can wake up fine without being groggy.

M

missperky

Jameo said:
I took ambien a few years. Knocked me out within a few minutes. Slept like a baby for 8-9 hrs and woke up feeling great!

I'm usually out with in 30 minutes and once I'm out I get 7 hours of sleep a night if not more. And like you I woke up feeling great.

jenbengen

Watch it
Lugnut said:

I go through stages where I can't sleep well. It's usually attributed to stress for me. Benadryl works for me when I just need to take the edge off to relax. I like it because it doesn't give you that nasty feeling in the morning that some of the sleep meds cause. When I was going through some stuff one time, my doc gave me xanax to relax at night. That stuff will knock you out cold...you'll sleep like a baby. :lmao:

J

julz20684

BadGirl said:
Whenever I take Tylenol PM, I can only take one pill, and I have to take it relatively early in the night - say before 9:00. That way, when I do finally lay down for the night, the medicine has already kicked in and I can go to sleep almost immediately. Also, by taking it earlier in the night, it wears off before the alarm clock, so that I can wake up fine without being groggy.

I have a very high tolerance for meds :)ohwell:) so it usually takes me the double/triple dose the average person would take. I've never had a problem with being groggy the next morning with Tylenol PM regardless of what time the night before I took it.