It's Just Not Right!

Tweet

My son and I went to a thrift store in Lexington Park this past Friday because he needed a " suit for a play he's in this week.  Unfortunately, he took his gameboy in with him and laid it down on the table next to the suits while he tried on a jacket.  We went, paid for the suit, went to the car and he then remember his gameboy.  He went back in to get it and it was gone.  This was in a matter of about 5 min's.  We search everywhere, it was gone!  Then one of the store staff said that they had seen one of the van drivers (a lady) playing with it but didn't see what she had done with it when she left.   After discussing this with the manager, he later found out that someone else say her son (her son was with her because of no school on Friday) playing with it.  When questioned, neither would admit that they had even seen it!  
I am so upset, one that neither my son or I remember to pick the gameboy back up but secondly because people are so selfish that they wouldn't admit it wasn't theirs and give it back.  
I'm chaulking this up to a lesson learned for both my son and I.  The police say there is nothing I can do because there isn't a law saying that someone has to turn anything in that they find.  
I can't imagine keeping something like that without at first trying to find the rightful owner.  Am I overreacting?  

S

ShellyCW

Ugh, I don't even wanna think about how much GameBoys cost now.  You are not overreacting.  Some people know right from wrong, but choose to ignore it.  (grandpa, you're a pessimist... :razz:)  If you went to the thrift shop that I think you did, then that was a pretty bad part of town (...and I'm a snob.)  It's possible that a kid just picked it up to play and wandered out.  That's a longshot, I know.  It might help if you tried calling the pawn shops in the area.  
If you don't find it check out www.half.com , the site has used books, electronics, music etc. for sale at reduced prices.  The merchandise is sold by owners and retailers, and you can usually find barely used things for great prices.

(Edited by ShellyCW at 5:18 pm on Mar. 18, 2002)

jellybean

The definition of integrity is doing the right thing- even when no one knows it. Obviously whom ever took the game boy had none!

Maybe if you think that who ever it was needed it soooo badly that they had to steal it, should have it, as they compromised themselves, and make it a mental gift to the poor unfortunate.  

Tweet

That is basically what I've had to do is accept that there are alot of dishonest people out there.  Hopefully this was a learning experience for my son, I've always taught him to be careful with his possessions,  but lately I've notice he's to trustful with lending games and tapes etc.   This time it was his own forgettfulness that caused him to learn the hard way that people just can't be trusted!  
Any yes, if the child or adult who took it was so unfortunate that they had to steal it,  they needed it worse than we did, hope it brings them lots of joy.  

mrs potts

It scares me to think that the values of right and wrong often get swept under the rug.  I can only imagine what our future holds, will we be able to just take whatever we want - just because we want it.  I was always told my parents to put my wants and needs in one hand and well, you know the rest.

I try very hard to obey the social norms and believe that our children should also learn the rules!  I mean, what are we teaching our children if we, as adults steal or do somthing that is inappropriate.  No wonder we are losing our "American Edge"!

mrs potts

Quote: Any yes, if the child or adult who took it was so unfortunate that they had to steal it,  they needed it worse than we did, hope it brings them lots of joy.  

Yes - but does it make it right?  NOT...

Tweet

No it doesn't make it right but at this point I can't do anything about it and I've chosen to accept it.  I wish other parents had the morals we do and would teach their children better.
I've always given people the benefit of the doubt so unless they give me a reason to not trust them then I do....or should I say I did, my attitude is changing quickly!  
Jaybeeztoo, sorry your children had that happen to them also.  
It's over, it's done, let's all just learn from my unfortunately experience!
Enjoy your week!    

mgorfain

It isn't right....honesty & integrity are scoffed at today, but I think it is necessary.  I found a wallet once in the road, had money & credit cards in it.  I thought to myself, "if this was mine, I'd want it to returned to me" so I looked up the address on the license & took it to their house.  They were sooo grateful and shocked that someone would go out of their way to do the "right thing".

I firmly believe to treat others the way you want to be treated.  Just take some solice in the fact that what comes around, goes around.  dishonesty NEVER pays.  When my kids were younger, one day my sons bike was missing.  I went walking around the neighborhood looking for it.  I found it at a neighbors on their front porch.  I knocked at the door, the kids looked out the window I could hear the mother inside (the window way open) and when she still didn't come to the door I called out to her, "excuse me...my sons bike is on your front porch".  Rather than coming to the door to apologize for her childs apparant "theft" she calls back to me through the window.."go ahead and take it"!!!!!

DOH!!!  of course I would take it, is was my sons.  The point is that parent didn't even think to reprimand their child for taking the bike....

And we all wonder what is wrong with society!!!

Remember....in the end we all get what is coming to us...good or bad

doubtfull24

Whether or not whom ever took it might need it more doesn't make it OK . Just because you may or may not be better off than someone does not make it OK for someone to take or keep something that doesn't belong to them. It makes me mad that some people don't consider how it makes the person who left or lost their belonging feel.

Last year my son found a cell phone on the school bus well instead of telling us right away when he got off the bus we found it in his book bag and asked him where did you get this he said he found it on the bus. We explained to him how it's not OK to keep things that don't belong to you then we looked in the phone's contacts and got a hold of the aunt of the boy who owned the phone who was happy it was getting returned. The boy who lost the phone had been lying to his mom about it being lost. My son was 6 years old when this happened.

GreenHornet

Whether or not whom ever took it might need it more doesn't make it OK . Just because you may or may not be better off than someone does not make it OK for someone to take or keep something that doesn't belong to them. It makes me mad that some people don't consider how it makes the person who left or lost their belonging feel.

Last year my son found a cell phone on the school bus well instead of telling us right away when he got off the bus we found it in his book bag and asked him where did you get this he said he found it on the bus. We explained to him how it's not OK to keep things that don't belong to you then we looked in the phone's contacts and got a hold of the aunt of the boy who owned the phone who was happy it was getting returned. The boy who lost the phone had been lying to his mom about it being lost. My son was 6 years old when this happened.

Thanks for chiming in on this.