GMP Cable......Do you think they suck?

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I use GMP Cable for my internet as well as my digital cable on the St. Marys side. I have had nothing but problems with them in the past 6 months. My bill is always wrong, they say I don't pay when I do and my internet is always down. I am working on a school internet class last night and there it goes down again. :burning: It was still down first thing this morning before I went to work. What I want to know is anyone else having problems with them and what can be done about it? Is there another service that is just as fast as cable modem I can switch to?

BudoPo

They Stink

Lately, they haven't been too bad for TV. That is, I haven't lost the signal too often, but I do get poor reception (I don't have their digital service). I don't understand how a cable line could give reception as poor as a normal antenna.

Back when they were Western Shore, they lost part of 3 straight Super Bowls (1997-1999). The first time, the signal went out for the entire 2nd half, then the next year they lost the entire 4th quarter. If my apartment faced south, I'd set up a satellite dish and go that way, but my apartment faces northeast, so a dish wouldn't be able to pick up any satellite.

jimmy

Drunkard
They don't carry Comedy Central even on their most expanded of services....for that, yes, they truly suck.

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
Suckville, agreed. No Comedy Central, even on digital cable. And the only other channel on digital I want is Animal Planet, and I'm not purchasing the whole stinkin' package just for that (although I am sorely tempted).

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well I have the whole package and I don't get either of those channels. All I wanted was HBO for my favorite show "Sex and the City," and they told me that I need all the channels to get my moneys worth. Just to get HBO was an additional 14.00 and to get the whole package it was like 17.00. So of course I got all of them for 3.00. I think they are outrageously priced and need to be stopped but nothing ever seems to happen. My internet is down more than its up and my cable is so blurry at times I can't watch it. I guess I am the only one.

SmallTown

Football season!
When I first moved here three years ago, we ordered Western Shore cable and the cable modem service.. Both were down all the time. The last time we had a problem (no service at all) they said they would send someone out in two weeks at the earliest to look at it. Needless to say, we told them not to bother and cancelled our service. Now that it is Gimp cable, I have heard mixed reviews. I know it couldn't be any worse than when I had it. We now have Dish Network and love it.

SmallTown

Football season!
We never signed up for the Dish internet service. The setup costs and monthly costs are just too high. We tried to get DSL but found out that we can never get that service where we live. So we are stuck with the painfully slow dialup until something better comes around.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well the only reason I have GMP is b/c of the cable modem. We use it for work and school so we need the speed. They told me that we could have the modem without the TV package so I was stuck either way. I need to ask again if its still that way but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. I am paying 50 for the internet and 100.00 for digital cable with pay channels. Its outrageous. I always thought dishes were more expensive but I think they are competive now. I need to look into it.

SmallTown

Football season!
For Dish Network, we get a little over 100 channels, digital music channels, 7 HBOs and the DC local stations, and we pay $55 month. For what we wanted (and the quality of service) GMP can't touch it..

GMP will not offer cable modem service if you don't have cable service, and the extended cable service at that. Seems that many of the other cable companies offer the cable modem by itself.. I wonder if Gimp knows how much money they are losing from all the Direct TV and Dish Network customers who would love to have cable modem, but don't want to give up the quality,service, and price of the dish. Their little strong arm tactic to force you to buy both doesn't seem to be working all that well, hard to understand why they keep doing it. Sure, some people may drop the TV service to get Dish or DirectTV, but many Dish owners would be signing up for the modem..

K

Katie

I have DirectTV and pay 39.99 for the basic channels and the local channels. For three months I get Starz for free, and after that three months it is 12.00 a month. I will get HBO over Stars though at the end of the three months.

SmallTown

Football season!
After checking my latest Dish Network bill, I saw that the cost is $51.97 per month, which includes HBO. So it is the same price as Direct TV. There have been stories about Dish Network buying out Direct TV, but I havn't heard anything recently.

As for buying the system, you can look in the phone book for local people that sell/install the system. Online retailers are good as well. When I bought my system online, I actually made money since the rebate check was more than what I paid for the system.. Not sure if the rebates still exist though. Installing isn't that bad, as long as you have a clear line of site.

I would suggest going to the DirectTV and Dish Network web sites to compare the two to see which one you prefer.

K

Katie

I bought mine at radio shack, and they have a rebate on the DirectTv system right now. You can get the set up after rebate for nothing. That is at least the deal that I got.

www.dishnetwork.com and they usually have better deals than are offered at radio shack and they also have the info on the buyout of directtv, install is about $49 then it will vary in price depending on what package and how many tv's you get hooked up. they also offer the 50 channel package which is not offered thru radio shack. I went that route and got a great installer who really did a great job in hiding the canles and showing how everything worked...a month later gmp showed up to install cable, that was 2 months after I called, so sorry, already got the dish

G

giggles04

We've had them for a while... and have never had any problems with it... but I wish we'd get dishnetwork or something. Ever since my boyfriend got it, I've wanted it! I want comedy central!!!

tater

YES !!!

They suck very much bad. They are overpriced, no comedy central, and their cable modem goes down more than a $5 ho. :cussing:

P.S. -- I apologize to any $5 hoes that might be online. (no offence) :biggrin:

tater

Re: Re: YES !!!

Originally posted by FIREMAN

It's $10 pal, inflation and the cost of living......:biggrin:

Oops, you're right. Also forgot about the higher taxes.. You have to go over the bridge for the $10 trick (and smokes)....from what I hear:lmao:

FIREMAN

Re: Re: Re: YES !!!

Originally posted by tater

You have to go over the bridge for the $10 trick (and smokes)....from what I hear:lmao:

From what you hear????? What are you talking about I seen you on the oppisite street corner, just the other day! Trying to steal my business. I gonna let you know something I run the hoe train in this town! :biggrin: :lmao: :crazy: