Lenses for Rebel XTI?

Mayhem

Can I be your super hero?
I just got the Rebel XTi kit a couple of days ago and now I am looking into lenses and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations... preferably wanna keep the price down for now since im just starting...

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Mayhem said:
I am looking into lenses and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations...
If... :lol: I can tell you how I would search, but there may be 10 people to follow who would do it differently.

Mayhem said:
preferably wanna keep the price down for now since im just starting...
There are 3 factors you should consider foremost: manufacturer, quality and intended subject matter.

Canon, of course, produces their own extensive selection of lenses which range from entry-level to world-class. But you can find some excellent – and cheaper – choices from independent manufacturers as well, such as Sigma and Tamron. The only thing with third party products is that you may experience compatibility issues, such as the autofocus not always working accurately, etc. Those problems are uncommon, though. As with anything else, if you look at an off-brand, do a little research to ensure they are reputable before you purchase. An item may offer great features for a basement low price… because once you begin shooting with it you’ll realize it’s a piece of crap.

For quality, you’ll notice that Canon offers two lens classes: the L series and everything else. The Ls feature better glass, constant apertures, and other features that, as a beginner, you may not feel you need yet. Buying the non-L instead of the L version of a lens can save you hundreds. Every manufacturer has similar classifications and designations that can affect how deep into your wallet you’ll have to dig.

Your primary subject matter helps narrow the field in the way of focal length, or, very simply, how long the lens barrel is. This is also represented in millimeters (or mm). The shorter the barrel, the lower number, the wider angle; equally, the longer the barrel, the higher number, the tighter angle.

For example, landscapes are usually best with a focal length of 28mm or less. Wildlife is usually best at 300mm or more. If you want to do portraits, look for something in the 80 to 100mm region. And if you want to shoot flowers, insects, or other small things a macro lens is best; they come with average focal lengths, but can focus much closer than other lenses.

A good all-around, everyday lens will have a variable focal length, so you won’t have to change lenses as often… and will save you money. Lenses like that include Canon’s 28 – 200m f/3.5 – 5.6 ($340) and Canon’s 28 – 105mm f/3.5 – 4.5 ($220).

Those quotes are from B&H, a good company in NYC. They are fast, reliable and offer decent prices, but closed relatively often due to Jewish holidays. Their Canon lens gallery is here.

Just a note about the thought of “saving money because you’re a beginner”: if you are shooting just for the heck of it, that thought is okay. But – given that you invested in an SLR, I’m guessing that you may someday want to get a little more serious. In which case, I’d say, if you can afford it, buy the good glass now. Good glass will last longer and provide better pictures from day 1, over the cheaper ones which may give you problems after a couple years of regular shooting.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with. :yay:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Mayhem said:
I just got the Rebel XTi kit a couple of days ago and now I am looking into lenses and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations... preferably wanna keep the price down for now since im just starting...

Hi Mayhem, I'm pretty new to photography but I ask a lot of (stupid) questions and have been doing a lot of reading.

Did you get your camera with a kit lens or with no lens? The kit lens is a GREAT value. Most Canon people I've talked to on a budget jump to either a 70-300 zoom (under $250 from most mfr's) , or a Canon 50 F1.8 (about $70) depending on whether they are interested in shooting nature outside, or people inside. Then they pick up the other one.

If you already have the kit lens I would suggest holdiong off on lenses and picking up a 430EX flash and some books on photography first. "Understanding Exposure" was recommended to me by JBR here on the forums and has helped me a lot.

Mayhem

I took a peak at some tripods today don't think I would need one quite yet.

I have been looking at amazon.com and I ordered (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens). I am also thinking of ordering (Sigma 28-70mm & 70-300mm DG Lens Set) I think this would be a starting point anyhow.

Mayhem

Lugnut said:
If you already have the kit lens I would suggest holdiong off on lenses and picking up a 430EX flash and some books on photography first. "Understanding Exposure" was recommended to me by JBR here on the forums and has helped me a lot.

I may get a flash sooner then later I don't really know enough yet to know better on certain things. I will be picking up some books soon and probably that one as well. I'm also thinking of taking a class next spring depending on how my interest grows...

Mayhem

Lugnut said:
Did you get your camera with a kit lens or with no lens? The kit lens is a GREAT value. Most Canon people I've talked to on a budget jump to either a 70-300 zoom (under $250 from most mfr's) , or a Canon 50 F1.8 (about $70) depending on whether they are interested in shooting nature outside, or people inside. Then they pick up the other one.
I did get the kit with the lens and I happened to pick a canon carrying case kit with extra battery and haze filter for the kit lens.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Mayhem said:
I took a peak at some tripods today don't think I would need one quite yet.
You might be surprised... a tripod is not used only by professionals, or just for exposures that are multiple seconds long.

Mayhem said:
I am also thinking of ordering (Sigma 28-70mm & 70-300mm DG Lens Set) I think this would be a starting point anyhow.
I bought a similar pair with my Rebel years ago: 18 - 55mm (kit lens) + 55 - 200mm, which they made as a complement. They're not great but I still have and use them.

Before you buy any books, check out http://www.photo.net/. Browsing is free, and there are many good articles and thousands of users with galleries there for you to enjoy. If your hunger does grow, I'd suggest a class; somewhere you can interact with, critique and be critiqued by others.

ylexot

Super Genius
Personally, I'd go with a Tamron 18-250mm lens. That gives you a super range (and from what I've read, it's a decent lens) while you figure out what you really want. Then when you figure out what you want, it would make a nice lens for when you don't want to carry a ton of gear.

JustTheFax

On the Right Side.
I have used Canon for many years, my first was an Canon FT purchased in about 1969. Then an FT-B, an A 1, and EOS, and my latest a Canon DS6041, a digital Rebel EOS.

The old EOS lens work on the Digital EOS however the listed length is not the same in digital as it is in 35 mm film.

Ritz Camera offers good compatable lens for the Canon.

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
JustTheFax said:
I have used Canon for many years, my first was an Canon FT purchased in about 1969. Then an FT-B, an A 1, and EOS, and my latest a Canon DS6041, a digital Rebel EOS.

The old EOS lens work on the Digital EOS however the listed length is not the same in digital as it is in 35 mm film.

Ritz Camera offers good compatable lens for the Canon.

Technically the length is the same as far as the lens is concerned. It will seem long on a rebel though as the sensor is smaller than the area exposed in a 35 mm film camera. All the camera can see is the footprint of the sensor. Basically it’s a dead center crop of a 35mm picture if that makes sense. Therefore the lens will seem long. The EFS lens is optimized for the small sensor size but I stay away from them as they will vignette on 35mm ( Full Frame) cameras.

Best deal with BH photo they are great company and shipping is superfast. I ordered a dozen rolls of film and got them next day even though I was told it was UPS ground ship.

ylexot

Super Genius
Dead Eye said:
The EFS lens is optimized for the small sensor size but I stay away from them as they will vignette on 35mm ( Full Frame) cameras.
EF-S lenses CANNOT be used on 35mm cameras (and some of the older digital SLRs...like the 10D). The lenses actually extend into the camera body a little further than EF lenses. So, if they are used on cameras not specifically made to take them, the mirror will hit the lens when it tries to swing out of the way.

Third-party lens manufacturers (i.e. Sigma and Tamron). Don't do this because, AFAIK, Canon is the only one that has a digital-only mount specification and the third-parties essentially use the same lens for all cameras. So, they can't extend optics into the camera for Canon only.

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
ylexot said:
EF-S lenses CANNOT be used on 35mm cameras (and some of the older digital SLRs...like the 10D). The lenses actually extend into the camera body a little further than EF lenses. So, if they are used on cameras not specifically made to take them, the mirror will hit the lens when it tries to swing out of the way.

Third-party lens manufacturers (i.e. Sigma and Tamron). Don't do this because, AFAIK, Canon is the only one that has a digital-only mount specification and the third-parties essentially use the same lens for all cameras. So, they can't extend optics into the camera for Canon only.

Thank you. I just looked and it is a few mm longer. I remember trying one on and it fit and focused but I never hit the shutter . Glad you let us know

Thanks D.E.