Injecting Insulin into a Vein

Toxick

Splat
... or artery.

I think I may have just accidentally injected insulin into a vein. I had an unexpected amount of blood come out with the needle.

Anyone know if this has adverse effects?

K

Kain99

Toxick said:
... or artery.

I think I may have just accidentally injected insulin into a vein. I had an unexpected amount of blood come out with the needle.

It's normal for a small amount of blood to appear when you inject insulin. This bleeding, which is usually caused when the syringe punctures a tiny blood vessel, can be stopped by putting pressure on the injection site with your finger or a cotton ball.

Injection Sites

Toxick

Splat
Kain99 said:
It's normal for a small amount of blood to appear when you inject insulin. This bleeding, which is usually caused when the syringe punctures a tiny blood vessel, can be stopped by putting pressure on the injection site with your finger or a cotton ball.

Injection Sites

I've gotten blood before, so I'm usually not worried about it.

This wasn't a little bit though. This was blood like you get when you cut yourself shaving. If I didn't inject directly into a vein, I almost certainly punctured one.

I did a little search though - turns out, even if you do inject it directly into a vein or artery all it means is that the insulin will wear off in a few minutes, as opposed to a few hours, so theres a little risk of hyperglycemia. Although, that's not much of a problem with me these days. I think I need to reduce my insulin dose. My sugar is rarely over 80 except right after eating lately.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Good news...

Toxick said:
Good to go. No insulin shock. :yay:

...I was wondering.

One of my ex's is diabetic. I read your post and was trying to remember if that every happened to her...???

Mikeinsmd

Toxick said:
... or artery.

It takse awhlie but evetnualy yuo statr to ess lettres revresed. Fi thsi hapepns, go ese a rD at ocne.

Toxick

Splat
danceintherain said:
Well Toxic, its been a few hours. Are you alright?

No problems.

I've since taken my lunch shot and eaten lunch as well. I think I'll pull through.

Haven't been able to check my blood though - my tester is home.... :ohwell: