Equilibrium

B

Betty_Elms

Good movie! Some may say it seems a little ripoff-ish (I'll let you decide), but I liked it.

Takes place in the future a little ways. Opens talking about our 3rd World War, and how mankind knew it wouldn't survive another. There is a mysterious man called "Father" who gives all the orders to society. Society, meanwhile, is being controlled by a substance called "Librium'....everyone carries their doses with them and takes injections at various points during the day.
Librium's effect is that it makes you unable to feel anything..no hate or prejudice, so mankind can be at peace.....the downside is that you feel no happiness or love either. You are a total robot.
Christian Bale plays a very succesful cleric....the cleric are Father's police of sorts that weed out and "process" sense offenders. People who fail to take their injections and take pleasure in things like literature, art or movies.
Basically it's the tale of this cleric who finally joins the other side (the sense offenders) and tries to free humanity again.

I liked the transition in the movie...to see someone going from feeling absolutely nothing, to being awaked to the world around him, and knowing passions we take for granted.
It had some really good scenes in it, with almost ballet-like shootout scenes.
I'd say good for the sci fi fans!

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
Betty_Elms said:
Good movie! Some may say it seems a little ripoff-ish (I'll let you decide), but I liked it.

Takes place in the future a little ways. Opens talking about our 3rd World War, and how mankind knew it wouldn't survive another. There is a mysterious man called "Father" who gives all the orders to society. Society, meanwhile, is being controlled by a substance called "Librium'....everyone carries their doses with them and takes injections at various points during the day.
Librium's effect is that it makes you unable to feel anything..no hate or prejudice, so mankind can be at peace.....the downside is that you feel no happiness or love either. You are a total robot.
Christian Bale plays a very succesful cleric....the cleric are Father's police of sorts that weed out and "process" sense offenders. People who fail to take their injections and take pleasure in things like literature, art or movies.
Basically it's the tale of this cleric who finally joins the other side (the sense offenders) and tries to free humanity again.

I liked the transition in the movie...to see someone going from feeling absolutely nothing, to being awaked to the world around him, and knowing passions we take for granted.
It had some really good scenes in it, with almost ballet-like shootout scenes.
I'd say good for the sci fi fans!

Very kewl movie, knew about it when it came out in 2002, but had to wait a couple years for it to be released in the US

Equilibrium on IMDB

The movie is HIGHLY influenced by classic novels such as Nineteen Eighty-Four, Fahrenheit 451

The City the movies takes place in is called Libria

The drug the Sheeple (DemocRats in disguise?) take is called Prozium, The original name of the drug was called Librium, but that was the trade name for an existing anti-anxiety drug named chlordiazepoxide. It was changed to the aforementioned "Prozium."

Libria is governed by the Tetragrammaton council, which is led by a reclusive figurehead known as "Father".

The Grammaton Clerics, are trained in Gun Kata (martial art "ballet-like" fighting with guns)

The Clerics exist for the purpose of locating and destroying EC-10 (banned materials deemed likely to stimulate strong emotions, including art, music, and literature) materials, and for pursuing, apprehending, and, if necessary, terminating "sense-offenders" - people guilty of feeling emotions.

There is another movie coming out, by the same Director, that will also use Gun-Kata called Ultraviolet