Effects Pedals???

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Ok I wana buy an effects pedal. Something simple and inexpensive. What should I look for.

Might be too late cause I think I won an ibenaz f7 on ebay:shrug:

any advice will still be greatly appreciated

TinaM83

I must be computer retarded, I just joined these forum-thingys, can't figure out how to "post a forum"..someone please help! (sorry for stealing your thread Dougstermd)

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Need to start...

Dougstermd said:
Ok I wana buy an effects pedal. Something simple and inexpensive. What should I look for.

Might be too late cause I think I won an ibenaz f7 on ebay:shrug:

any advice will still be greatly appreciated

...with what you are looking for and how much you're willing to spend.

Also, do you want, or care, if it is digital or analog?

As far as the Ibanez, which one is it? There are several in the f7 line. Fuzz, chorus, distortion?

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Larry Gude said:
...with what you are looking for and how much you're willing to spend.

Also, do you want, or care, if it is digital or analog?

As far as the Ibanez, which one is it? There are several in the f7 line. Fuzz, chorus, distortion?

its the fz7 fuz got it new for $22 plus 7.95 shipping. I guess I will see what it does when it comes in.

I am not really playing many songs yet. just looking for something to keep me going on the learning thing

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
TinaM83 said:
I must be computer retarded, I just joined these forum-thingys, can't figure out how to "post a forum"..someone please help! (sorry for stealing your thread Dougstermd)

Tina,
click on the forum you wana start a fread in and at the top left it will have a start new fread button

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It will...

Dougstermd said:
its the fz7 fuz got it new for $22 plus 7.95 shipping. I guess I will see what it does when it comes in.

I am not really playing many songs yet. just looking for something to keep me going on the learning thing

...be fuzzy in that groovy, 60's kinda way; Inagadadavida

Great for covering up horrible, new player playing. Ask me how I know.

Midnightrider

Larry Gude said:
...be fuzzy in that groovy, 60's kinda way; Inagadadavida

Great for covering up horrible, new player playing. Ask me how I know.
I bought a fender for my first guitar a few years back, and the friend i bought it from threw in a signal processer that had about 180 effects not including the programable stuff. I figured i should just stick to learning to play. Then after about a year i pulled it out and was amazed how much of the twangs and buzzing was eliminated when i used various effects. anyway, mine is an old analog set up for the mid 80's but it still is fun to play with.

PLUS, its sounds really good LOUD :larry:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yep...

Midnightrider said:
I bought a fender for my first guitar a few years back, and the friend i bought it from threw in a signal processer that had about 180 effects not including the programable stuff. I figured i should just stick to learning to play. Then after about a year i pulled it out and was amazed how much of the twangs and buzzing was eliminated when i used various effects. anyway, mine is an old analog set up for the mid 80's but it still is fun to play with.

PLUS, its sounds really good LOUD :larry:

....twirl some knobs, flip some switches and, viola, sounds just like Pink Floyd!
When I started, I had a solid state amp with plenty of gain and reverb and I added super distortions, flangers, wahs, chorus's and so forth (and a noise gate!) and damn if it didn't give me this awesome electric stew! :larry:

That stuff is good, in my estimation, from the standpoint of motivation to help you play and practice more. It's fun. It's a boost, a positive thing in that context. Now, you can't go to far with it and start kidding yourself that you're actually better. Gotta frequently go to the reality check and play on a good tube amp with no toys which just exposes every single weakness in your playing and skill like finger nails on a chalkboard.

From there, you keep going and, over time, you do get better and better and when you do add back some toys, that sounds better and better as well.

I'm all for the toys; just don't use it as an excuse to skip scales and serious practice. :larry:

LordStanley

I know nothing
Larry Gude said:
I'm all for the toys; just don't use it as an excuse to skip scales and serious practice. :larry:

:yeahthat:

If you all know someone that is looking to by a starter kit for themselves or thier kids. Let me know.

I have an Ibanez GSA60 and a Crate GX120 for sale. Will sell both together for 150. (and toss a couple digitech pedals in also)

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
LordStanley said:
:yeahthat:

If you all know someone that is looking to by a starter kit for themselves or thier kids. Let me know.

I have an Ibanez GSA60 and a Crate GX120 for sale. Will sell both together for 150. (and toss a couple digitech pedals in also)

you need money to put gas in the boat:confused:

HAD TO DO IT :razz:

LordStanley

I know nothing
Dougstermd said:
you need money to put gas in the boat:confused:

HAD TO DO IT :razz:

:smack: :lmao: .....

I bought an acoustic a few years ago, and have more fun playing that. I havent touched my electric stuff in a while... Im not using it, hate to see it go to waste, let someone else enjoy it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Plus...

LordStanley said:

I bought an acoustic a few years ago, and have more fun playing that. I havent touched my electric stuff in a while... Im not using it, hate to see it go to waste, let someone else enjoy it.

...with an acoustic, who needs gas?

Row, row, row yer boat... :lmao:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
LordStanley said:

really I am interested but got some cash issues this week:nomo:

E

(((echo)))

Since you are just starting out i will give you some advice on some good pedals..(cheap-inexpensive-pricy)

in the cheap category we have the
ZOOM 505 II
It's a streightforeward pedal and is easy to use, you have the ability to "tweek" custom tones out of it but out of the box it's good to go.
hook up is relatively easy just a couple of cables and you are on your way.

in the inexpensive category we have the
DIGITECH RP 250
This one is similar to the Zoom, however the expression pedal has the ability to go "toe down" to engage wah and various other parameters that are pitch sensitive.
A step up from the Zoom for that there are more "voices" which translates to amp models and effects. Also the user bank is larger for tweeking custom tones
again a couple of cables and your good to go

in the expensive category we have the....
BOSS GT8
This pedal is primarily for advanced users in the sense that even though out of the box it is ready for the stage. You have an AZZ LOAD of factory presets that range from fuzzbox (zz top) to tube screamer (van halen) to vintage rectifier (3 doors down)
all these "voices" are ready to go as soon as you plug it in.
The main reason i say it is for the advanced is because when you tweek a parameter it is SUPER EASY to over shoot the sound you are looking for, but in the plus side to that is that when you over do something you get something you never heard before.
For example The guitars in audioslave were heavily processed with digital effects and the Boss GT8 was just 1 of the pedals he uses.
The "coolest" function of this box is the "assign" function..
-example-
usually when you want delay, you waiit for the appropriate time and press the delay switch, with the assign function you don'e have to press anything.
You can assign it to engage with "pic attack" which means when you strum or pick the strings lightly the guitar sounds normal, but as soon as you pick harder the delay kicks in for as long as you pick or strum hard, as soon as you play lightly the delay stops...
and you never had to hit a switch.
that function can be "assigned" to ALL og the GT8's voices which are too many to count.
again a couple cables and your good to go, however the 8's preamp can be switched off and just used for it's effects, this will require 4 cables total routed through the effects send/return of both the amp and the 8

also in the expensice category we have the
DIGITECH GNX4
By far the coolest thing with this beast is the ability to directly record ONTO THE UNIT
also it has a plug and play option which allows you to plug your cd player directly into it for the ability to play along.
It also has the "learn a lick" function which enables you to plug in a cd player and "upload 30 seconds" of a desired track, for this example we will upload van halen's eruption...as soon as it's uploaded you can speed up or clow down the actual play time so that you can "learn the lick" note for note.

My actual advice is this, THIS CRAP IS ADDICTIVE! you will blow more $$ on this than you will ever realize (depending on your needs)
DONT GO CHEAP RIGHT OUT OF THE GATE! i suggest the BOSS GT8, it will last forever and you have the oportunity to download updates to stay current.
but it's your $$ :lol:
whatever you decide to get, lemme know..chances are Iv'e allready owned it so I could show you how to use it so that you dont get frustrated...

maybe one day down the road you will be ready to tackle the beast that I run now...
LINE 6 VETTA II