Question to anyone in CCNPP danger zone

keekee

Did anyone get those pills from the health dept after 9/11?
You were supposed to take them (if instructed to) if something went wrong at CCNPP. Only those in the danger circle got them...

Well mine just expired. So I'm wondering if I should replace them, or was that just something that was given out when the threat level was super-high?

Did anyone else get them? Are you replacing yours? TIA.

I think they are potassium somethingorother.

keekee

(((echo))) said:
did you get the Blue or Red pill?

I'd have to go home & look. Not sure what color they are. :shrug:

I remembered the name though... It's potassium iodide.

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
(((echo))) said:
did you get the Blue or Red pill?
:giggle: :smack:

keekee, if yours have expired, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get another packet. It's one of those "just in case" things, where if nothing else, it's nice to have on hand "just in case". Mental comfort. In all actuality, if CCNP blows up, you'll die quickly.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
keekee said:
Did anyone get those pills from the health dept after 9/11?
You were supposed to take them (if instructed to) if something went wrong at CCNPP. Only those in the danger circle got them...

Well mine just expired. So I'm wondering if I should replace them, or was that just something that was given out when the threat level was super-high?

Did anyone else get them? Are you replacing yours? TIA.

I think they are potassium somethingorother.

Don't worry about it, if it makes you feel better replace it but it is unlikely you would ever need it. As far as CCNPP "blowing up". That is a myth, it won't and can't happen. The type of Urainium used in nuclear powered reactors is quite different from what is used in weapons.

A radiological plume would be the worse you could ever see, no big boom!

Not saying that wouldn't be a big deal but no nuclear explosion.

keekee

For the record: I never said a word about the power plant "blowing up".
I believe those pills are intended for some sort of radiation leak.

I'm thinking that they can only help if things went bad over there.
Am I the only one who has them?

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
We have them. I don't know if they have expired or not. I'm not too concerned about replacing them.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
keekee said:

No I said it. :howdy:

I have the pills. I carry 'em in my car though, cause I figure I am more likely to be exposed to radiation at work in DC due to terrorist related something or another than at home by the power plant.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Best Advice - Courtesy of My Dad

In the event of some sort of dreadful problem at the plant

Bend over, put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.

You are welcome. :yay:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
keekee said:

Right I was making reference to one of the responces to your OP. I work at CCNPP, they haven't issued them for years. I doubt they are much to worry about.

E

(((echo)))

migtig said:
No I said it. :howdy:

I have the pills. I carry 'em in my car though, cause I figure I am more likely to be exposed to radiation at work in DC due to terrorist related something or another than at home by the power plant.
you do realize that they should be rectally induced? kinda hard to do when driving

Bonehead

KeeKee those pills are potassium iodide which is meant to overload your thyroid gland with good iodine instead of the radioactive type that could be potentially released during a severe accident at the plant (iodine 131). Very unlikely to say the least. There is a much greater probability that you might react adversely to the pills effects than CCNPP ever having a severe accident.

keekee

Since they were handed out by the health department, I assumed they were good to have around.

K... I guess I won't replace the pills. :flowers:

Vinny_DP

Forget the pill, plan to GTFO.

It is almost funny to believe that an iodine pill is used to make people feel safer in the event of an accident.

I wonder if the Russian Government ever said dont worry about Chernobyl it wont explode, if it does, take an iodine pill.

The link below shows Chernobyl many years later.

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html

Forget about the pill, and just hope that Homer Simpson isnt really the SRO when something does happen at CCNP.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Vinny_DP said:
It is almost funny to believe that an iodine pill is used to make people feel safer in the event of an accident.

I wonder if the Russian Government ever said dont worry about Chernobyl it wont explode, if it does, take an iodine pill.

The link below shows Chernobyl many years later.

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html

Forget about the pill, and just hope that Homer Simpson isnt really the SRO when something does happen at CCNP.
Comparing apples to oranges. Russia always has had different regulator compliances than the US. Look at Three Mile Island, which was/is a nuclear generating station in PA.
QUOTE:
Although 25,000 people lived within five miles (8 km) of the site at the time of the accident,[2] no identifiable injuries due to radiation occurred, and a government report concluded that "the projected number of excess fatal cancers due to the accident... is approximately one."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Mile_Island_accident

Vinny_DP

Now everyone should feel better, we have government oversight, also known as compliance.

So there really is no need for evacuations plans or drills since the event will never occur. We are truely safe since we have the government protecting us, not to mention the little blue or red pills.

Nuclear Power is widely considered the most efficient method for power generation. Just dont be fooled into thinking that a large disaster could never occur.

Bonehead

The Chernobyl design was inherently unstable at low power levels. They were conducting what is called a coast down test with their turbine generator. The idiot in charge of the test had no idea how the Reactor operates. By insisting on the test being performed in an unstable power level he demanded a return to a higher power. In addition all of their automatic systems designed to shut down the Reacor had been bypassed in order to raise power and do the test. The Operators grossly changed the void coefficient in the Reactor which raises power at a rapid rate. Essentially the Reactor was producing about 3000 % more thermal energy for a split second and the Core physical structure could not hold together. This was a thermal explosion not a Nuclear explosion. It does not diminish the radiological effects of pieces of irradiated fuel being expelled into the immediate vicinity however but it is important to understand the design differences.