Should Insurance Companies help Supplement the Cost of Health Club Memberships, etc.?

KAHUNA

Here we go again! Tell you what, if that happens, I'm getting into the health club biz! Just think, GUARANTEED revenue, no courting for new members, and no more concern about competition from publicly funded gyms (military bases). Get real, folks! My insurance premiums (all kinds) are already high enough. Yeah, I know that many will say that going to the gym will reduce health claims due to everybody getting in better shape. PROBLEM: Just like all health clubs, after the first month or two, when the novelty of it all wears off, 80% will stop going! Why do you think most gyms are constantly prospecting for new members? It's because many of those same people are giving up their memberships. They sign up for a year, go for two or three months, start slacking off, then drop the whole thing entirely after the mandatory year! What a boom this would be for health clubs! The insurance industry pays the bills, we go to work out (if and when we feel like it), and if we stop going entirely, we still get to keep the membership, because we're not paying for it.
How's this for an alternative? Let me pay for my own health club membership, and as long as I get a clean bill of health on my yearly physicals, use the two together to give me a discount on my health insurance premiums. Yeah, I know the whole concept of insurance is "spreading the risk" among many to make coverage affordable, but many of those same insurance companies give BIG discounts for life insurance policyholders who are healthy and don't smoke, so why not the same for health insurance? Anytime you "give" a benefit to some, it never works as well in the long run as a benefit that's "earned". Think about it!

willie

I could not believe the freeloaders are winning that poll. I honestly believe they just saw something for nothing and didn't think about premiums. I wouldn't care if it were only their premium and not mine.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I must admit, when I first saw the question I thought it was a great idea. Then Larry said, "Are you out of your mind?" and went through the reasons why it isn't a good idea.

willie

Last edited:
K

Kizzy

I can see this extending beyond just a pool and health membership. If they do this, they should supplement my season passes to Six Flags. They have a pool; I can walk around the place chasing my kids for exercise. I agree this is bogus and shouldn't be allowed. However, I see no problem with pool and health memberships being deductible on your income taxes, but otherwise, it should not be a factor in my health insurance.

willie

Originally posted by IM4Change
I agree this is bogus and shouldn't be allowed. However, I see no problem with pool and health memberships being deductible on your income taxes, but otherwise, it should not be a factor in my health insurance.

A tax deduction is almost as bad as an insurance premium. We taxpayers should not have to bribe anyone to get active and healthy.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
And while your at it, give me a tax break on booze. Keeps me from going crazy and killing somebody sometimes.

K

Kizzy

:lol: Willie, I see your point. There are some jobs that require you to be physically fit. Fire Fighter, Police Officer, military folks who could be called up at any time. What I meant to add to my sentence is when it is part of your job. But of course, it would cause a stink to give to certain ones and not others.

ptbrien

Livin' for the Dream
Please let me clarify!

Sorry about the question. It was really a broad one. What if the insurance comapnies only supplemented the membership as long as there was regular 2-3 times per week attendance? Those visits are easily tracked on gym software and they could be reported to the insurance company immediately. The member would then be responsible for the remainder of the contract.

I say this not as a "free loader" but as a health professional that wants to try and create a healthier society somehow. I am looking for suggestions. I have shot down most of the ones I have heard for people not staying in shape. I am trying to help create more avenues for people to get or remain healthy.

willie

I don't believe we should pay people to do something that they should be doing on their own. They don't need a health club to get in shape. Go to the mall and check out the size of the cheeks in line for those donuts then check out those old codgers doing their power walks in the morning. A lot of difference in the physiques of those two groups.

ptbrien

Livin' for the Dream
I understand the resentment of paying people to be healthy, but how much would incentivizing people to stay healthy pay of in long term health care costs? Just food for thought.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What if the insurance companies only supplemented the membership as long as there was regular 2-3 times per week attendance?
I'd go for that. The reason people don't go to the gym isn't because they don't have the money (they have plenty of money for beer and cigs) or because they don't have time (they have plenty of time to sit in front of the TV). The reason people don't go is because they're lazy. I've known gobs of people (including myself) who pay big $$$ to join a gym, then only go once or twice before they ditch it. Or buy expensive exercise equipment that is now used as a clothes rack.

So if someone was serious about getting in shape, I'd think that would be covered under "preventive services", like your annual checkup or something. Maybe the insurance could do a co-pay for individual visits, instead of a full year membership committment.

Steve

Enjoying life!
Re: Please let me clarify!

Originally posted by ptbrien
I say this not as a "free loader" but as a health professional..."

What type of health professional are you? Does your career involve gym memberships?

It costs not one dime to run or walk in the evenings. Nothing to do a few situps with your feet wedged under the sofa. Nothing to crank out 100 push-ups, squat-thrusts, or chin-ups on a tree limb.

Subsidize gym memberships? No way. When is money ever the solution to any problem? I agree with Vrai: People are just plain lazy. I know, cause I am one!

ptbrien

Livin' for the Dream
Not for us

I am a physical therapist. We have an intermidiate program for people who are beyond formal PT but not ready for a gym. Since we do not allow for all of the services provided by gym, i would not consider us under my proposal. You do have a lot of free things at your disposal and most people do not take advantage. i am just looking ofr ways to cut down long term healthcare costs.

willie

Optimum Choice (oxymoron) will get members up to 30% off membership in multiple clubs in th Balt./Wash. area.

Lilly

The Original Lilly
This is pretty much dead but for what its worth . . .

My health insurance company has an "Alternative Benefits" plan that is available to all customers at no charge (which of course means it is factored into your premium - you just don't realize it) that offers discounts on various health-related items and services such as herbal supplements, vitamins, acupuncture, massage therapy, etc. etc. It also includes gym memberships.

My gym member ship isn't totally paid for but it is discounted by about 50% off of the regular price. It is also month to month instead of a yearly contract. Similar to what was mentioned earlier, I have to go 3 times a month in order to continue to qualify for the discounted rate.

I really like this benefit and use it all the time. I probably would not have joined the gym without the discount because I always thought $48 - $50 was way too much to spend - especially when I was obligated for a year. I really can't say how it has affected my premiums since it is a built-in benefit. Would I trade it for slightly lower premiums?? Probably not unless the decrease was significant.

Elle

Happy Camper!
I don't know the details but my uncle has terrible back problems and I know his dr. gave him a perscription for a spa type thing at home to help with his exercises. Sorta the same thing as this question if you ask me so it's already happening.