Felting

Cowgirl

Is anyone into felting? I have been learning how...mostly felting balls right now. I've about mastered those and I'm getting ready to try some coasters. I would love to start needle felting, but I need to buy some needles. I've been looking on Ebay. What do I need? There are some that say uncut. What's the difference between cut and uncut? Also, there are fine, medium, and coarse. What's the difference? Should I buy some of each?

Thanks!! :howdy:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Funny, I was just going to get some supplies this weekend and try that myself. :lol: You may be able to find your answer here.

Midnightrider

Cowgirl said:
Is anyone into felting? I have been learning how...mostly felting balls right now. I've about mastered those and I'm getting ready to try some coasters. I would love to start needle felting, but I need to buy some needles. I've been looking on Ebay. What do I need? There are some that say uncut. What's the difference between cut and uncut? Also, there are fine, medium, and coarse. What's the difference? Should I buy some of each?

Thanks!! :howdy:

is that the same as felching balls?

Cowgirl

Nickel said:
Funny, I was just going to get some supplies this weekend and try that myself. :lol: You may be able to find your answer here.

:high5: I sheared a few sheep this spring, and kept the fleeces. I dyed a bunch of it and have been using it to make the balls. So far it's working great! I went to a yarn shop and spoke to a woman who gave me some advice. I completely forgot to ask her about the needles. :lol: I bought some roving from her, like black and some colors I couldn't dye myself. That stuff is expensive. I'd love to learn how to make the roving...but I'm happy just using the fleeces I already have. Have you seen the felted bars of soap?! They'd make great gifts.... The yarn shop I went to was selling small handbags for $100! :faint:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Cowgirl said:
:high5: I sheared a few sheep this spring, and kept the fleeces. I dyed a bunch of it and have been using it to make the balls. So far it's working great! I went to a yarn shop and spoke to a woman who gave me some advice. I completely forgot to ask her about the needles. :lol: I bought some roving from her, like black and some colors I couldn't dye myself. That stuff is expensive. I'd love to learn how to make the roving...but I'm happy just using the fleeces I already have. Have you seen the felted bars of soap?! They'd make great gifts.... The yarn shop I went to was selling small handbags for $100! :faint:
I think they sell supplies at Joann's for a decent price.

Cowgirl

Nickel said:
I think they sell supplies at Joann's for a decent price.

Awesome...I will check it out! I saw some really cute Santa ornaments with curly fleece beards. :smile: I want to make them.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
kwillia said:
Use wax... that way you can kill two birds with one stone... when you are done playing with felted balls... rip away...:shrug:
:yay: Great idea, Kwillia. Thanks. :huggy:

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
Oh, it's almost fall and time to get out my felted bag :getdown:

Pete, my sister has many sharp needles to felt your bag :lol: some of you have seen the purse she made me with all the colors. You said it looked like moldy bread:duh: Wherever I go I get stopped and asked about my felted bag cuz it is awesome :yay:

good luck! I've never seen felted balls. please post a pic TIA :flowers:

Pete

Repete
Dye Tied said:
Oh, it's almost fall and time to get out my felted bag :getdown:

Pete, my sister has many sharp needles to felt your bag :lol: some of you have seen the purse she made me with all the colors. You said it looked like moldy bread:duh: Wherever I go I get stopped and asked about my felted bag cuz it is awesome :yay:

good luck! I've never seen felted balls. please post a pic TIA :flowers:
WTF is a felted ball anyway?