Pet Parks... We need them

jeneisen

Indy Bound
What would everyone think of a new park or place designed especially for pets where you can let them run and exercise without all the non-pet lovers complaining about leash laws and picking up after them?  Does anyone know how someone could open one or how to propose to get one built?

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Darby - this is off the topic but I just noticed the 'telemarketers' portion of your signature, it's GREAT!!!  Isn't that the truth, hehehe!!

DarbyOhara

Musician
laureng on 8:42 pm on April 6, 2002[br]Darby - this is off the topic but I just noticed the 'telemarketers' portion of your signature, it's GREAT!!!  Isn't that the truth, hehehe!!

heehe... yeah, I kinda stole that from a quote on an ad about the Radio Shack's TeleZapper!  And guess what?  I went and bought one!  49.95!  I bought it a week ago (we were averaging about 2 to 3 of these calls a day) and now a week later... NOT A ONE!  That thing works!  Hook it up to the phone line and when the phone is answered.. it let's of a audible beep sound.. that tells those tele-mouskateers that the phone number is disconnected... they remove it from their database...  Go get one if you don't have one... actually, now that I am eliminated from those calls, I should pass it off to my neighbors... let them hook it up for a week and pass it to the next one.. IMAGINE!  our whole area FREE of these stinkin calls....  woo hoo! or a whole city.. or a whole country... IT'S an epidemic!

jeneisen

Indy Bound
By the way, no I am not joking, and if you have a problem with it I recommend you keep your responses to yourself.  Obviously the idea was meant for people who would actually be able to use the parks, and there are quite a few of us who like the idea.

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
I think it's a great idea, but there are a few things to think about. Obviously, everyone using the park would have to be responsible for cleaning up after their dogs - that's not much of a problem. BUT - what happens if your dog causes an injury (to another person or another dog)? Or what if the reverse happens to you? Obviously, people who know their dogs are not friendly to strangers and/or other dogs should not come to the dog park, but there are definitely ignorant people out there who might show up anyway.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
HHmmmm, sounds like it's worth a shot.  I get SO many of those calls, it's unreal.  I also have an ex-roommate who they call for over and over again, despite the fact I have told them she no longer lives with me.  Plus, I have moved since she was my roomie and they must have gotten my new number from the forwarding that the phone company does.  GGrrrr!!  :boo:

DarbyOhara

Musician
jeneisen on 9:37 pm on April 7, 2002[br]By the way, no I am not joking, and if you have a problem with it I recommend you keep your responses to yourself.  Obviously the idea was meant for people who would actually be able to use the parks, and there are quite a few of us who like the idea.

Jen, I wasn't trying to be ignorant to your post (even though it appeared that way) and I wasn't being nasty (which is what appears in your reply).  I don't know where you live, but I am in SOMD and I thought most of where in SOMD on this BB.  I see nothing but woods and open land.  I just don't think any resource would be feasible.  Now, if you live in a larger city, perhaps you should state that.  And if so, perhaps you should address your topic to specific people...  

James, I too thought it was a scam till my lady sent me a URL about a review of the Telezapper.  I don't have that link anymore, but it was a true blue review and it convinced me.  And I am proof that it works!  My home phone (which is posted in the phone book.. arrrggh!) averaged about 2 or 3 calls a day.... the phone rings and no one is there.... if you wait, sometimes the telemarkers come on and try to swindle their product(s), sometimes it would disconnect.  Why disconnect?  Because it is a computer calling and putting you on hold.. if that tele-monkey has time to talk to you, they will, otherwise they'll talk to someone already on the line and it disconnects.... Well, just the fact of answering the phone constantly was driving us nuts (btw, AT&T is one of the worse, I HATE them)...  We now get absolutely ZERO telemonkey calls.  Now when the phone rings, it is a real person, with a real purpose of calling... no more tele-junkie calls for me! :clap:

redfish

As already mentioned, there's no need for a pet park around here.  Lots of land.  
As far as that telezapper, I read a review that fried it.  I then read where you can do the same thing for free.  Download a sound file that has that triple tone you get when you dial a wrong number, put it at the biginning of your answering machine message, and presto!  I've had it on for about two weeks now and my hang-up calls are way down, plus I still have the 50 bucks in my pocket!

http://www.flash.net/~carlton2/telemark.htm

DarbyOhara

Musician
two weeks now and my hang-up calls are way down, plus I still have the 50 bucks in my pocket!
http://www.flash.net/~carlton2/telemark.htm

Red, what you have there is a wav file of the sound of a wrong number (3 note tones).  I suppose that would work on your answering machine (if you say it does)... but who is gonna PLAY it when YOU answer the phone?  Mine sends the tone whether it's me picking it up or the answering machine!  Plus, the telezapper has a different tone!  It is a one note tone (it's a secret tone for those computers to ZAP your phone number immediately)...  Sure hate to see your grandma's face when she calls and gets your 3-note-tone that your number is disconnected...  My grandma will hear one short quick note that's barely noticeable... guess my 50 bucks was worth it... :dance:

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
I agree with you, jeneisen! It's funny you brought this up, because I had recently contacted a gentleman at Calvert Co. Parks & Planning in regards to an equestrian facility and/or dog park. I expressed the same concern – sure, there's alot of open land, but it's privately owned and their are only a couple of parks under an hour away that allow horseback riding and NONE that allow dogs to be off-leash. The response to my question was two-fold: it hasn't been done because they just don't get that many requests (i.e. political pressure) for these type of facilities; and "our county's top priority for parks is to meet the needs of kid's extracurricular sports, because we can't meet that need now." My response was "Why can't they create a multi-use facility that would serve more than one need?" and of course, it went back to the issue of not getting enough requests...I have been contemplating writing a petition of sorts, and leaving copies at pet stores, feed stores, etc. just to see if folks would support the idea. What do you think??

I'm fortunate to be on 4 acres, so my dogs have plenty of space to run. But it would be fun for them to go somewhere and "play" with some other dogs and get that socialization! I heard that the dog park that opened in Anne Arundel Co. has had LOTS of positive press...perhaps we could contact someone in Park and Planning there and find out just HOW they got it accomplished.