Grits/Blocks?

wvman

Back when I was growing up in Marlow Heights in the mid 60s to about '74, there were 'Grits' (also known at one time as 'Blocks'). These guys (and I was one of them once!) would wear Chuck Taylor hightops with colored shoestrings (never tied), two or three pairs of basketball or hockey socks pushed down, 'Macks' (construction worker pants), 'Banlon' shirts, and 'Peters' jackets (windbreakers), along with slicked back hair. I don't really remember what being a Grit stood for, except for acting tough. There were some hardcore Grits, to be sure, and I figure they are auto mechnics or put up sheet rock now. :)

In elementary school (I went to the now closed Sandymount Elementary in Marlow Heights, whose building still stands but is a christian academy) Grits were fairly benign types, other than the tough persona they put up. By the time I got to Junior High School (Benjamin Stoddert), the Grits were even tougher acting, and some were flat-out bad-a**es! I also remember when the carnival would be held at the Marlow Heights Shopping Center every year, the Grits would get into fights with some sort of other group there (such as the 'Freaks').

Anyway, I wondered when the Grits died off, because my family moved out of the area the beginning of '74 and in '76 I joined the Air Force? Does anyone remember them, or were you one of them? I'd like to hear some of your recollections. By the way, I put an ad up on this site, because I am interested in buying a used 'Peters' jacket.

Thanks to all!

Chuck Fraley

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
I remember "Grits" and "Freaks!" I grew up in Camp Springs, MD, and graduated from Crossland HS in 1980. I think the trend started sometime when I was in about 5th or 6th grade...around 1974. I remember people wearing "Grit-wear" all the way through junior high, and probably into high school. (I KNOW there were still "Freaks" in high school between 1978 and 1980, 'cause alot of my friends were self-proclaimed "Freaks"...)

You HAD to leave the colored shoelaces undone, because with the multiple layers of white sweat socks with colored bands, it was too thick for the shoes to tie! :) Throw in a wallet chain, and those combs that are made to look like a switchblade...Alot of us girls also wore the all the guys' Peter's jackets (navy blue preferred...)

If you were a "Freak" you wore hippy-type clothes...remember those India cotton shirts with the HUGE "batwing" flowing sleeves?? Tight hip-huggers with bell bottoms, and "stacks" or Dr. Scholl's sandals. The guys just wore faded jeans and Aerosmith t-shirts (or Blue Oyster Cult, or Black Sabbath, or Kansas...) Lots of pot leaf icons...

What a hoot! I'm sure that most of the auto mechanics or plumbers in  the county were once "True Grits..." (But I wonder what all the Freaks are doing?? Probably working for Bill Gates...)

Fun topic! Thanks for the blast from the past!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My daughter tried to get out the door wearing a muscle t-shirt, jeans and a dog chain necklace to school.  My husband, who grew up in Laurel, told her she looked like a Grit Girl and to go change.  First time I'd ever heard that expression.  Him and his former Grit buddies all grew up to be boring businessmen - not a mechanic in the bunch!