What to do about illegal immigrants?

aphrodite17

:duel: I have read recently that there are about 7 million illegal immigrants in this country. With the numbers so high, how are they survivng here in our country? I am just wondering where people stand on this issue.:duel:

Last edited:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
It'll never happen but...

Send them back home to fill out their papers and immigrate under the laws of our country. BTW, I think your numbers are low, I read somewhere it was about 13 million.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I agree with Sharon. I'm sympathetic to immigrants who want to get out of their hellhole country and come be part of the American Dream, but they should have to do it legally. There are so many immigrant services that there's no excuse for not having your papers in order.

I have an even better suggestion:

At some point, the US will be busting at the seams. We can only take on so many foreigners before we just don't have room anymore. I'm all for going over to those Third World nations, kicking out the dictators and neutralizing the terrorist groups, and building representative republics all over the world. That way people can have a nice country to live in without having to go to the trouble of immigrating here.

I hear Africa is a beautiful country with a great many natural resources. Too bad they're still killing people and keeping slaves over there. Same thing with China, Cuba and a lot of these other countries that our immigrants come from.

tatgirl99

Go Steelers!!!
I think this country is a great opportunity for many people, but I too, think they need to go through the legal channels.

I hate how some of the businesses will hire certain people because they know they are illegal immigrants and they can pay them at a cheaper labor rate.

I myself, don't have a problem with anyone wanting to live in the US, just do it legally.

Vince

Originally posted by vraiblonde
better suggestion:

At some point, the US will be busting at the seams. We can only take on so many foreigners before we just don't have room anymore. I'm all for going over to those Third World nations, kicking out the dictators and neutralizing the terrorist groups, and building representative republics all over the world. That way people can have a nice country to live in without having to go to the trouble of immigrating here.

:yeahthat:

That makes more sense.

SamSpade

I hear Africa is a beautiful country with a great many natural resources.

Uhhhh Africa is MANY countries, and one of the biggest reasons so many have such trouble is that many of them have VERY FEW natural resources. It's one thing when people fight wars over oil, gold, and fertile farmland. It's quite another when they fight over desert, rocks, snakes, scorpions and a single mouthful of food.

When you fight over wealth, it's ok to argue over things like freedom, liberty and brotherhood. When you are fighting over survival, you don't give a crap who is in charge, so long as you LIVE.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oops! Caught me! :blushing: What I meant to say is that Africa is a beautiful continent. And they do have natural resources - diamonds, gold, tin, platinum, iron, copper, petroleum, natural gas.

SamSpade

That is correct - in nations like South Africa, and Libya, and Algeria and so on. Most of those nations, rich in natural resources are doing just fine, more or less. Many of them are going through the same slow transition to a democracy that the US did. The US did not become a democracy in just 25 years - it took a over a hundred and fifty years as a colony first, and it was exploding with wealth.

But nations like Mali and Mauritania are incredibly poor, and others, like Sierra Leone and Chad, like many African nations are rich in minerals - but the agriculture SUCKS, and they have horrible droughts. Without better subsistence, they'll never profit from their minerals.

Government instability isn't just culture, it's economics too. When you're starving, you'll support anyone who will feed you.

demsformd

I think that the whole illegal immigrant issue is just a way for right wingers to scare the population...I don't feel that it is a pressing issue.

SamSpade

Originally posted by demsformd
I think that the whole illegal immigrant issue is just a way for right wingers to scare the population...I don't feel that it is a pressing issue.

And you base this on --- what? Disdain for the right? Prejudice and a bunch of stereotypical caricatures liberals like to think of as what the right is about?

It is a problem, but mainly in certain parts of the nation. Something like 40-45% of all illegal immigrants are in California. Imagine the difficulties trying to run that state where as many as 1 out of every 6 people is there illegally - paying no taxes, but still getting government benefits. Or in major population centers where they tend to migrate.

Read Malkin's "Invasion". At least make an informed decision, rather than a ridiculous "it's just that crazy right-wing" knee-jerk reaction.

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by demsformd

As opposed to left wingers who never resort to scare tactics.

*cough*over-population *cough*

*cough*global-warming *cough*

*cough*deficit *cough*

I don't think that illegal immigration is such a pressing issue that it's on the verge of ripping the country apart. However, there are immigration laws - and I am of the belief that those who break the law should be punished. Or in the case of illegal aliens, they should be booted back to their nation of origin.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You are so representative of your party...

I think that the whole illegal immigrant issue is just a way for right wingers to scare the population.

An issue comes up, the hardcore "right wingers" state a rather unanimous position, in this case "I think it is fine to immigrate here, just follow the law..." and you instantly contort it into a scare tactic??? Follow the law? Scare?

Boo.

SmallTown

Football season!
I only have two quick comments on this subject.
1) Like everyone else has said, there are plenty of ways to get here LEGALLY. So do it.
2) If we know there are 7 million here illegally, we must know who they are (or do we have a couple of high school dropouts in a room making up numbers again?), so take care of them.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by SmallTown
... or do we have a couple of high school dropouts in a room making up numbers again...
Nah. Those administrations ended in 1980 and 2000. :bubble:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'd still like someone to come on and tell me why it's not a good idea to overthrow the dictators and Kings and revamp these countries. Forget "American Imperialism" - give me a real reason.
I don't feel that it is a pressing issue.
Dems, you don't think it's a pressing issue that people are running for their lives from government-sponsored sadism and oppression? Liberals get jacked up when George Bush talks about National ID cards - how would you feel if he were imprisoning and torturing dissidents, maybe chopping off a few body parts for good measure?

Something else I thought was interesting: during the Iraq war, the news guys would dig up these Iraqi immigrants and they'd express outrage against the US invasion and concern for their family members back home. If they were so loyal to Iraq, what are they doing here?

SmallTown

Football season!
In what way?

Either make it so they are legal, or get rid of them. Preferably the latter. If their time here started out with breaking the law, don't see how it can get any better.

frogger

Immigration process is extremely long drawn out, and inefficient process. You should see some of the lines at the immigration offices...makes DMV lines look like kids waiting to get into Michael Jackson's Neverland. Once you go through a bunch of processing, then you have to wait months, and sometimes years just to get a green card. The citizenship thing is a whole other ball of wax.
My only point is that it's not as simple as some people make it sound.