first date advice

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
hey y'all...
met a girl online who has loads of potential... meets all my crucial criteria and all of my preferred criteria...

we've been talking on the phone... chatting on IM a little bit for a couple months now... and Thursday will be our first date...

the one sticking point is that she lives all the way west of Tyson's Corner... and i live in Lusby...

anyway... i want this to be a hit... she's a little wary of the long-distance thing and i want to give her every reason to ignore that aspect of it.

so far... i was thinking of hitting ComedySportz in Ballston for their 8 pm show... and dinner/drinks afterward at one of the restaurants in the mall that houses ComedySportz...

what do y'all think? have you been there... thumbs up or thumbs down for a first date... any other ideas for the Tysons area?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by sleuth14
the one sticking point is that she lives all the way west of Tyson's Corner... and i live in Lusby...

anyway... i want this to be a hit... she's a little wary of the long-distance thing and i want to give her every reason to ignore that aspect of it.
Put the long-distance issue into perspective, if you hit it off. Tell her that she is worth the two hours it takes to come visit her and that you are willing to deal with it to be with her.

As far as perspective, remember it is only about two hours away and if you were walking you would only be about 8 miles apart. If riding a bicycle about 25 to 30 miles apart. Driving 100 to 120 miles apart. Flying 300 to 500 miles apart. Talking on the phone, milliseconds apart. You really aren't that far apart.

Pete

Repete
Whatever you do, don't drive to a lake and use the line 'Nova used on the college chic in the movie American Pie.

:crazy: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :crazy:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: Re: first date advice

Originally posted by Ken King
As far as perspective, remember it is only about two hours away and if you were walking you would only be about 8 miles apart. If riding a bicycle about 25 to 30 miles apart. Driving 100 to 120 miles apart. Flying 300 to 500 miles apart. Talking on the phone, milliseconds apart. You really aren't that far apart.

You've got that right! Dean and I were 2 hours apart when we met online and initially I think we were both slightly concerned...until we met! Then the 2 hours seemed like a breeze! We used to meet in the middle a lot, and then alternate who drove when we hung out at our houses.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Re: Re: Re: first date advice

Originally posted by laureng
You've got that right! Dean and I were 2 hours apart when we met online and initially I think we were both slightly concerned...until we met! Then the 2 hours seemed like a breeze! We used to meet in the middle a lot, and then alternate who drove when we hung out at our houses.

:howdy:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Larry and I were two hours apart when we met online, too - that was what attracted me to him in the first place. He wasn't going to be hanging around all the time. Little did I know...

Sleuth, if I were you (and I WAS you at one time), I'd be more worried about whether I liked her rather than the other way around. Just a thought.

And I think the big shabam is a bit much for a first date with a girl you've never met. I'd go for lunch or something non-committal that you can cut short if it's not working out. Something more low-investment. Remember: you don't know this girl. She can pretend to be anyone she wants online and on the phone.

Good luck, though! Let us know how it turns out!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yeah that...

...what Vrai says. You best watch your thinking there my man.

i want this to be a hit

Of course you do BUT...If you've taken the time to actually think about what kind of person you like and are attracted to and truly enjoy spending time with then reward yourself by seeing and enjoying what happens. Don't WISH this to be right. It'll cloud your judgement. It will be what it will be. Just let it.

I also ditto nixing the "big shabam". Go for something public, casual and quiet enough to talk, lunch. You do want to find out if the bits and bytes are for real, right? So should she. Also, a place where there is something more to do if things go well. A park to stroll through. A downtown to walk around. Cheap motel with coin operated beds...

Also, lunch is an easier egress for both of you if it ain't happening. You can still be friends and feel no burden from the BIG DATE.

Distance can be an asset.

J

justhangn

First date huh?

It will be a great test of honesty.

When you show up, be early and see if you can detect her before making yourself known. IF she is not what she has said she is, walk away and chalk it up to experience. (I would give the same advice to her)

Also, notice how:

she reacts to everything around her

how she treats the server

her facial reactions to your conversation

The eyes are the doorway to the soul. :really:

Last edited by a moderator:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Well, it looks as though she wanted to go low-key as well...
so... I can't do lunch because we live in different cities, but we are going to meet at a Thai place in Tysons (Busara?), she picked it. And, since she has to work on Friday (I love CWS), she has to be home early. Which means our first date will be kept short and sweet... 2 hours at dinner at most.

Good thoughts about being concerned whether I like her instead of whether she likes me... I had only considered whether we like each other :biggrin:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Re: First date huh?

Originally posted by justhangn
It will be a great test of honesty.

When you show up, be early and see if you can detect her before making yourself known. IF she is not what she has said she is, walk away and chalk it up to experience. (I would give the same advice to her)

You would do that to someone? :yikes:

J

justhangn

Re: Re: First date huh?

Originally posted by sleuth14
You would do that to someone? :yikes:

Would, have and will again. If someone that claims to be “your friend” deceives you, why in the world would you go through with actually making face time with this person??

Like I said, it’s a test of honesty.

Old Russian proverb Trust but verify.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Jeez, it just a date for cryin' out loud.

Go and have fun.

Quit thinking of ulterior motives and conspiracies.

It doesn't commit you to a lasting relationship or even another date.

If you go with your head so full of crap it won't be much fun for either of you.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
My advice for a first date? Don't go. Don't do it. It's a waste of time and energy. And then what if you do like each other, then you are going to continue with it the relationship, and how long is it going to last? Is the time and money and emotional investment even worth it? No. It is not. Don't bother. Be single and say the heck with it. :boo:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Originally posted by migtig
My advice for a first date? Don't go. Don't do it. It's a waste of time and energy. And then what if you do like each other, then you are going to continue with it the relationship, and how long is it going to last? Is the time and money and emotional investment even worth it? No. It is not. Don't bother. Be single and say the heck with it. :boo:

:lmao:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by SxyPrincess
Sleuth,

At the end of the date, ask her if she wants to "see" it. :bubble:

:yeahthat:

I take back what I said C........you've invested some months yakking with this unit, after dinner, get a hotel room and hit like white on rice. :yay:

THEN tell us all how well she polishes CHROME. :biggrin:

K

Kain99

That's crummy advice! If you care at all about this girl..... Hands Off Sleuth!

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by Kain99
That's crummy advice! If you care at all about this girl..... Hands Off Sleuth!
No, because if she's willing to 'polish his chrome' that quick...chances are it's not someone he wants to get involved with. :wink: