Things to do with young Children in Southern Maryland

Momof2

Hi...I'm still relatively new to the area and I"m trying to find somethings to do with my young children.  They are 6 and almost 2 years old.  I'm also looking for a playgroup for my youngest.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!  Is there a petting zoo somewhere?  

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
There is an excellent playground in Leonardtown next to the State Police Barracks and near the Governmental Center.  Additionally there are numerous county parks with some playground equipment scattered all over the county.

A new place called Hyperspace opened up in Hollywood that has climbing tubes, slides, a ball pit, and even a rock climbing wall.  I haven't been there personally, but my wife has taken our kids there and they had a good time.  I don't recall exactly what they charge, but my wife said it was reasonably inexpensive.  It is located on Rt 235 just south of the Rt 245 intersection, near Burchmart.

S

ShellyCW

There's a great public park on Chancellor's Run Rd in Great Mills/California(?).  It has a nice playground, soccer fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, and some plain old open fields.  :smile:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Point Lookout is good, beach with lifeguard in summer.  Great playground, or just digging in the sand/mud or walking on the pier.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
For a special day of fun you could try the Chesapeake Beach Water Park.  Info & Prices--
http://www.co.cal.md.us/cced/guide/waterpark.htm
http://www.chesapeake-beach.md.us/waterpark.html

Opens Memorial Day

Momof2

Wow!  Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!  I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!  If anyone else has any other ideas for a 6 year old and a 2 year old let me know!  Thanks!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I too have an almost 3 year old and am always looking for things to do with her.  I usually do find things to do.

If you are able, take them to storytelling at the local libraries.  Check the local paper for the times.  

Also watch the Friday edition and SOMD.com for weekend ideas.  

This Saturday there is a program going on at CCM at 2pm.  www.calvertmarinemuseum.com

HyperSpace has different rates for the age of the child and the activities.  I believer thier Grand Opening is this weekend.  www.hyperspacefuncenter.com

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I agree with the previous poster, Hyperspace is the BEST!!  My daughter is a little over 2 1/2 and LOVES it there!!  It would be a great place where both your kids would have a great time!!  I sometimes go after work, let her play, and then we'll eat dinner there.  :-D

Lauren

FlipperDeHead

In Your Dreams
Hi...I'm still relatively new to the area and I"m trying to find somethings to do with my young children. #They are 6 and almost 2 years old. #I'm also looking for a playgroup for my youngest. #Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks! #Is there a petting zoo somewhere? #

In some areas of the South they tie young children to small trees and pummel then with macaroni and cheese until they are completely covered. Then they are untied and piled into the car, so they can have their dinner all the way home. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: