St. Thomas Via San Juan

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Am I understanding the requirments for ID in traveling to these two locations? That is neither requires a passport? I have mine but I am concerned that the person I am traveling with won't get theirs in time.

From what I have read as of right now they should be good to go without a passport correct?

SamSpade

Am I understanding the requirments for ID in traveling to these two locations? That is neither requires a passport? I have mine but I am concerned that the person I am traveling with won't get theirs in time.

From what I have read as of right now they should be good to go without a passport correct?

Nowadays I wouldn't bet on anything anymore. We needed ours on a cruise TO St. Thomas just to take a stop in Florida. Used to be you didn't need one in Canada, but that's slowly changing.

Now I don't know for sure, but push for the passport anyway. Pay extra if you need it faster.

onebdzee

off the shelf

The guy I contract for just got back from San Juan with his daughter....they didn't require passports :yay:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
The US Virgin Islands are territories of the United States. That means that any recognized photo ID is acceptable for travel to St. Thomas, St. John, St. Croix, Water Island, Puerto Rico, Vieques and Culebra.

You might want to bring a certified copy of your birth certificate (with a raised seal) with the photo ID so you can also travel to the British Virgin Islands. Water taxis are cheap! The birth certificate also helps if there is a question on your ID.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Last time I went to St. Thomas, we didn't need a passport but we did have to go through customs when leaving St. Thomas.

SeaRide

I say go for the passport to remove any doubts. What if your trip got detoured to the other foreign island due to unforseen weather or something? I learned this from a friend of mine who was supposed to fly to San Juan but end up landed in Domician Republic because of plane engine trouble. Imagine that?
Another example of what happened .. a guy rented a jeep in Cozumel and he wrecked the jeep, got hospitalized. The cruise ship already left. He didn't have passport with him so .. long story short .. too much hassle trying to get off the Cozumel Island to the Mexico mainland (trying to reach U.S. embassy).

If you have passport with you, you can get out of the country when things go wrong period. Simple as that.

If you are not going to get the passport, you better start praying that your travel went exactly as you hope for. Like I said, have passport, no worries.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I say go for the passport to remove any doubts. What if your trip got detoured to the other foreign island due to unforseen weather or something? I learned this from a friend of mine who was supposed to fly to San Juan but end up landed in Domician Republic because of plane engine trouble. Imagine that?
Another example of what happened .. a guy rented a jeep in Cozumel and he wrecked the jeep, got hospitalized. The cruise ship already left. He didn't have passport with him so .. long story short .. too much hassle trying to get off the Cozumel Island to the Mexico mainland (trying to reach U.S. embassy).

If you have passport with you, you can get out of the country when things go wrong period. Simple as that.

If you are not going to get the passport, you better start praying that your travel went exactly as you hope for. Like I said, have passport, no worries.

I agree but, I am worried about the timeline for the passport for her, according to the DHS website we should get it in time but if we don't then not only does she not have her passport but her birth certificate is tied up with them as well. I am so paranoid about going anywhere as I was burnt years ago and lost out on a trip because I didn't have the proper documentation for traveling to a different country based on conflicting information I was given.

surfer1

Passports
Note: Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (introduced 23 January 2007), US citizens returning directly from a US territory do not need to present a passport to re-enter the USA. For further details about the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, visit the website of the US Department of State: Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.
Try this site! Good luck!

SeaRide

I agree but, I am worried about the timeline for the passport for her, according to the DHS website we should get it in time but if we don't then not only does she not have her passport but her birth certificate is tied up with them as well. I am so paranoid about going anywhere as I was burnt years ago and lost out on a trip because I didn't have the proper documentation for traveling to a different country based on conflicting information I was given.

As I can recall, I got the Passport Application receipt with the number. Then I got the birth certificate back in mail first then later I got the new passport in the mail.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
As I can recall, I got the Passport Application receipt with the number. Then I got the birth certificate back in mail first then later I got the new passport in the mail.

Maybe things have changed then because I recieved both of mine together about 6 weeks later, but this has been some years ago.

AEDGT

I've made the BWI to San Jaun to St. Thomas trip many times... and unless you are going to the British Virgin Islands you shouldnt need a passport. ive never needed mine until going through customs on St. Johns or Tortolla.