recommend a 'puter

Ponytail

Buying my first 'puter soon. Need for internet access and usual software (MS office). Basic stuff. Not a big gamer.

place to buy? Name brand? What do ya recommend?

Hardware?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
PT... keep an eye on www.hot-deals.org
They have great stuff crop up randomly... just be ready to jump on it...

I love that website... I've found great deals on tons of hardware, electronics, and even furniture there.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Here's one that came up recently... it's expired now though.

Dell.com - Dimension 8300, 2.6GHz, 256MB, 30GB for $636 after rebate
(expired)

This is an "okay" deal, not great, but good if you were looking to purchase a computer anyway. In Dell Small Business, price out the Dimension 8300 computer. I configured one as follows:
Pentium4 at 2.6GHz
$150 mail-in rebate option checked
256MB 400MHz (PC3200) memory
Windows XP Home
Microsoft Office Small Business (this option is a free upgrade)
30GB hard drive
no monitor
GeForce4MX 64MB video card
integrated 5.1 sound
no speakers
With the above configuration, the price comes to $849 and an automatic $100 discount applies when added to your cart. Purchase price for this configuration is $749 plus mandatory sales tax, mine is 5%, bringing the purchase price to around $786, and your purchase price would be somewhere around this. A $150 mail-in rebate is available that expires today.

If you do not have a company, you should use your real name as the company name because the rebate check will be made out to the name specified as the company.

Pete

Repete
Dude buy a dell. Best money I ever spent on a PC. I did the bare bones, leftover from last technology leap, on sale computer thing for a long time. I bit the bullet and got a really nice Dell P4, with a flat screen and printer for about $1300. It is awsome and it's one of the few times I have not had buyers remorse on a big purchase.

Ponytail

So, buying from Tigerdirect.com would be a bad thing? I know ALOT of people in Philly that have purchased PC from them, and another outfit in Seattle, and seemed to have gotten much better equipped PC's for the money than can be had from Dell.

I get a discount from Dell too, 10% I believe, and MANY folks up in Philly told me to stay away from them.

:burning: I've made it this long without one. I'll try to resist the temptation again.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by vraiblonde
DELL

:yeahthat: Dude! Ya gotta get a Dell. :yay: :lol: We have a Hewlett Packard, which we've always bought HP, however their customer service has just gone from bad to worse. :bawl: Next one's gonna be a Dell.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Don't listen to them - buy a MAC! :lmao:
Actually, I bought a Compaq thru the base exchange and I got everything, printer, monitor, speakers, yada yada for under $700 after my rebate and no taxes. For light home use, I figured that was a bargain.

Christy

b*tch rocket
We just ordered a new Dell this evening! :lmao: We're gonna donate our older computer to the kids school. We made the command decision after spending half a day down at the school trying to get some ancient computers they had laying around, up and running. We're talking 486/66MHZ, 32 Meg hardrives. :yikes: It was ugly, so we're upgrading them to a 450MHZ, Pentium 2. And we're getting a nice shiny new Dell. :thewave:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
PT, I have Dells. I beat them to death. When I'm ready for a hard drive and processor upgrade, my old Dells are still in good enough shape to hand down to someone. My mother-in-law has my oldest Dell - I had it for 2 years, she's had it for 3. It's still going strong and she beats a computer to death, too.

By contrast, after I'd had my no-name computer for 2 years, it had to be thrown away - wasn't good for anything anymore. Same thing with Larry's 3 year old Gateway.

Vince

Dell definitely! Bought my first 4 or 5 years ago. Just handed down to my daughter and bought a new one. Got top of the line Demension for $1200 and just got a $200 rebate from Dell. Never had a problem with them.:biggrin:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Have 3 Dell Desktops, a Dell Laptop, a DEC Twin-Proc WKS, a Compaq and other assorted machines, (ATT's, PB's, TNDY...) over the years.

Every other machine sucked except the Dells and the DEC.

The first Dell, DOS machine, is still going.

Go with a Dell