FT. WASHINGTON, Pa., Nov. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- McNeil Consumer
Healthcare, a division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc., announced today that it
received approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the
allergy treatment ZYRTEC(R) (cetirizine HCl) to be used without a
prescription for adults and children. ZYRTEC(R) relieves symptoms due to
perennial and seasonal allergic rhinitis, commonly referred to as indoor
and outdoor upper respiratory allergies. ZYRTEC(R) also relieves itching
due to hives.
The ZYRTEC(R) approval comes one week after the FDA granted the company approval to market ZYRTEC-D(R) 12 HOUR(R) (cetirizine HCl 5
mg/pseudoephedrine HCl 120 mg), which combines ZYRTEC(R) with a
decongestant. ZYRTEC-D(R) and ZYRTEC(R), the number one prescribed allergy medication in the U.S.*, will be available in stores nationwide** in late
January 2008 without a prescription in its original-prescription strength.
"For a decade, ZYRTEC(R), as a prescription medication, has been
alleviating people's symptoms from perennial and seasonal allergies," said
Ashley McEvoy, President, McNeil Consumer Healthcare. "By providing
ZYRTEC(R) over-the-counter, we're offering allergy sufferers greater access
to a convenient, effective and affordable treatment option that helpsalleviate their specific allergy symptoms. In fact, for many allergy sufferers, ZYRTEC(R) will cost up to one third less than prescription ZYRTEC(R)." ZYRTEC(R) is a once-a-day medication for adults and children that relieves indoor and outdoor allergy symptoms of sneezing, runny nose, and watery eyes for 24 hours. ZYRTEC-D(R) 12 HOUR(R) provides the added benefit of relieving nasal congestion. The FDA approved ZYRTEC(R) in 5mg and 10mg tablets, 5mg and 10mg chewable tablets, and 1mg/mL syrup. ZYRTEC-D(R) 12 HOUR(R) is also approved as an extended release tablet. ZYRTEC(R) also relieves itching due to hives.

P

Patch Tuesday

FDA Approves the Allergy Treatment Zyrtec(R) for Use Without a Prescription

- ZYRTEC(R) and ZYRTEC-D(R) 12 HOUR(R) to be Available in Stores Nationwide
January 2008 -

FT. WASHINGTON, Pa., Nov. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- McNeil Consumer
Healthcare, a division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc., announced today that it
received approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the
allergy treatment ZYRTEC(R) (cetirizine HCl) to be used without a
prescription for adults and children. ZYRTEC(R) relieves symptoms due to
perennial and seasonal allergic rhinitis, commonly referred to as indoor
and outdoor upper respiratory allergies. ZYRTEC(R) also relieves itching
due to hives.
The ZYRTEC(R) approval comes one week after the FDA granted the company approval to market ZYRTEC-D(R) 12 HOUR(R) (cetirizine HCl 5
mg/pseudoephedrine HCl 120 mg), which combines ZYRTEC(R) with a
decongestant. ZYRTEC-D(R) and ZYRTEC(R), the number one prescribed allergy medication in the U.S.*, will be available in stores nationwide** in late
January 2008 without a prescription in its original-prescription strength.
"For a decade, ZYRTEC(R), as a prescription medication, has been
alleviating people's symptoms from perennial and seasonal allergies," said
Ashley McEvoy, President, McNeil Consumer Healthcare. "By providing
ZYRTEC(R) over-the-counter, we're offering allergy sufferers greater access
to a convenient, effective and affordable treatment option that helpsalleviate their specific allergy symptoms. In fact, for many allergy sufferers, ZYRTEC(R) will cost up to one third less than prescription ZYRTEC(R)." ZYRTEC(R) is a once-a-day medication for adults and children that relieves indoor and outdoor allergy symptoms of sneezing, runny nose, and watery eyes for 24 hours. ZYRTEC-D(R) 12 HOUR(R) provides the added benefit of relieving nasal congestion. The FDA approved ZYRTEC(R) in 5mg and 10mg tablets, 5mg and 10mg chewable tablets, and 1mg/mL syrup. ZYRTEC-D(R) 12 HOUR(R) is also approved as an extended release tablet. ZYRTEC(R) also relieves itching due to hives.

More lobbying by the insurance industry no doubt so that you can start paying for it yourself...

Remember Claritin?

:whistle:

craberta

:howdy: I am happy about this because as a last ditch effort to save my doggy, I gave him one of my hubbys zyrtecs. He was a completely new doggy the next day. He is very allergic to something. The vet wrote him a prescription 7 years ago. Now I can just go get him some when he needs it.

Pandora

No. What doctor would I go to? I've been to the allergist twice and both times they put me on useless medication.

An Ears Nose and Throat (ENT) doctor would have to send you out to have a scan done to tell.

I had surgery to correct mine and rarely have to take an allergy pill now, whereas before, I was eating them like tic tacs for nothing.

ocean733

An Ears Nose and Throat (ENT) doctor would have to send you out to have a scan done to tell.

I had surgery to correct mine and rarely have to take an allergy pill now, whereas before, I was eating them like tic tacs for nothing.

Thanks. :howdy:

I'm really gonna look into it.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life

Did you not know you had a deviated septum?

Pandora

Did you not know you had a deviated septum?

I didn't even know what one was when I was told I had one, but I had broken my nose before and was told that one does have something to do with the other.

I thought I just had bad allergies. :shrug:

My surgery to fix the septum issues didn't cause overnight relief, but about a year or so later, I noticed an incredible difference.

ocean733

I didn't even know what one was when I was told I had one, but I had broken my nose before and was told that one does have something to do with the other.

I thought I just had bad allergies. :shrug:

My surgery to fix the septum issues didn't cause overnight relief, but about a year or so later, I noticed an incredible difference.

It's quite possible that I have something like that wrong. No medication works and I have "allergies" all year 'round. Some times are worse than others.

Giddy up!

It's quite possible that I have something like that wrong. No medication works and I have "allergies" all year 'round. Some times are worse than others.

Hey ocean thats what it sounds like to me...also if your a smoker..which you are remember from the bar..that will not help either if you have a combination of deviated septum and being a smoker..sorry you feel so yuk!:huggy: when we going out for drinks girlfriend?

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
More lobbying by the insurance industry no doubt so that you can start paying for it yourself...

Remember Claritin?

:whistle:

Yes, but once it's been OTC for a while the generics will be cheaper than most copays. 120 generic Claritin runs less than $20 at Wal-Mart.

WHat about Allegra? Zyrtec makes me very drowsy.

I hope they make that OTC soon! It's the only non-drowsy antihistimine that ever gave me 100% relief besides Seldane which of course is long off the market.

R

Roxy1104

I am REALLY GLAD to hear this news! Zyrtec is the ONLY drug I have tried that helps my allergies. :yahoo: