Shin splints

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Do you guys do anything about them? I get moderate pain when I jog/walk but it's not bad enough to stop the activity - I typically just go through it and eventually it lessens. Like, right now I can't feel it at all (just came back) unless I flex my ankles.

Should I be concerned about this or is it no big deal? The online whatevers say you should stop activity and ice it down, but it doesn't seem to be that bad and I don't want to use some sissy thing as an excuse to quit.

smoothmarine187

I got it bad when I was in boot camp, but obviously I couldn't stop. Just make sure you ice your shins at night and stretch them out good before you do any walking or running and you will be good.

MLGTS08

live.LAUGH.love
I was getting them when I first started going to the gym(about 2 months ago. I just stretched my ankles/lower legs really good and about two weeks later they went away. I had read up on webMD and it said stop activity,ice :blahblah: I didnt listen, and mine went away. I would try good strecthes before quitting running/jogging.

P

Patch Tuesday

Do you guys do anything about them? I get moderate pain when I jog/walk but it's not bad enough to stop the activity - I typically just go through it and eventually it lessens. Like, right now I can't feel it at all (just came back) unless I flex my ankles.

Should I be concerned about this or is it no big deal? The online whatevers say you should stop activity and ice it down, but it doesn't seem to be that bad and I don't want to use some sissy thing as an excuse to quit.

Are you doing some type of power-walking in which you take fast, unnatural strides?

:popcorn:

sccrmommy

In all my years of playing sports I never got them until 2 seasons ago. I ignored them and played through the pain, but it kept coming back. I started stretching before and after games, and iced down twice a day, and they went away. good Luck!

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
If you jog regularly than make a pit stop at either Fleet Feet or Metro Run & Walk next time you head up thru MoCo.

Getting fitted at a specialty running shop was the best thing I ever did. The shoes I ended up with were actually less expensive than the ones I had been running/experiencing pain with.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In addition to stretching and massaging with ice, are you wearing sneakers with good support?

The sneaks are fine - I'm pretty sure it's the stretching because it's really not a big enough deal for ice or anything like that.

I

Inkpen

What you have is Anterior Tibial Syndrome..

(aka "shin splints") ( also/sometimes called Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome)

Anterior Tibial Syndrome can result in hairline stress fractures in the tibia.
I suggest you talk to someone in Sports Medicine and get the proper treatment before it gets worse.

It is more than just stretching ..and icing down.

This site might help you learn more and how to prevent more problems.

As a Navy Corpsman, I worked as an Athletic Trainer at the Naval Academy, and this was a common complaint.
We had a strict treatment plan that worked well with the Middies...and for those that HAD to run, we would use a special taping method to the lower legs to reduce the stress of the muscle on the bone.

I do not think you need any wrapping or taping, but rather a more consertive form of treatment to prevent you from doing more damage.

Speed walking will reduce the chances of "shin splints" and will still give you the workout you desire.

Check with someone in Sprts Medicine..or do some serious reading online.

Good luck..and I do feel you pain..been there, no longer do that....:howdy:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No matter what, I don't mention it to my doctor. Instead, I just ask random strangers on the interweb.

You seriously go to the doctor for every little ache and pain?

No wonder our health insurance premiums are through the roof.

ShyGirl

The sneaks are fine - I'm pretty sure it's the stretching because it's really not a big enough deal for ice or anything like that.

Here are some quick, easy stretches:

1. I used to stand on the steps outside the front door and position my foot on the stair so that my toes and the ball of my foot were on the stair, the rest hangs off. Slowly rise up on your tippy toes and lower back down to the original position. Then slowly lower your heel and raise back up to the original position. You should feel some pulling in your leg muscles. Go gently. Do it about 10 times or so. Use the stair rail for support.

2. Sit down in a chair, cross your legs at your knees. One of your feet should be dangling. With the dangly foot, rotating your ankle, "draw" the letters of the alphabet. Then switch and do the other side.

In response to Inkpen, I don't know if speed walking and race walking are the same thing, but race walking killed my shins.

I

Inkpen

Here are some quick, easy stretches:

1. I used to stand on the steps outside the front door and position my foot on the stair so that my toes and the ball of my foot were on the stair, the rest hangs off. Slowly rise up on your tippy toes and lower back down to the original position. Then slowly lower your heel and raise back up to the original position. You should feel some pulling in your leg muscles. Go gently. Do it about 10 times or so. Use the stair rail for support.

2. Sit down in a chair, cross your legs at your knees. One of your feet should be dangling. With the dangly foot, rotating your ankle, "draw" the letters of the alphabet. Then switch and do the other side.

In response to Inkpen, I don't know if speed walking and race walking are the same thing, but race walking killed my shins.

What are you walking on, how hard the impact and what kind of shoes are you wearing?

ATS is not cured or prevented by just stretching before AND after anykinf=d of workout.
And not everyone gets it..so it is not just the workout but the condition of the invididual.

Middies..top notch jocks would get them....go figure..

ShyGirl

What are you walking on, how hard the impact and what kind of shoes are you wearing?

ATS is not cured or prevented by just stretching before AND after anykinf=d of workout.
And not everyone gets it..so it is not just the workout but the condition of the invididual.

Middies..top notch jocks would get them....go figure..

It happened to me years ago. Training for a pentathalon in high school.