Broadband via DirecPC/Earthlink?  RUN!

Greetings.  This is just a friendly word of warning.  If you are considering obtaining broadband service from Earthlink via DirecPc (aka DirecWay) satellite, DO NOT.  The local contractor responsible for such installations is 8K Enterprises in Leonardtown.  I cannot say how they treat other customers, but I can say how they treated me, which is to say that they acted as if they were doing me a favor.  They were highly efficient at charging me for the installation service fee and equipment (~$600.00), and yet after a week I could not get them to return my phone call trying to schedule an installation date.  Earthlink gets part of the blame here since they were the prime contractor, and they had no more interest in answering my concerns than 8K did.  I guess $1500 is a throwaway item these days (the cost of the equipment, installation, and first year's contracted fees) but it is not to me.  Needless to say, I have taken my business elsewhere, and I suggest you do the same.  Contractors in St. Mary's County are notorious for treating their customers like crap, but this outfit take this to a new level, and based on my experience you would do well to avoid them under all circumstances.  

Y

yornoc

It seem like getting good customer in this area is a rear event.

As for broadband service, it is a major issue in the area.  I had the cable internet access in St. Mary's county and after a month of frustration (especially with the "lack-of" customer service) I returned their equipments for a full refund.

Needless to say, I'm still on dial up :burning:

DarbyOhara

Musician
You are all better off without satellite anyway.  Wait for DSL or Cable!  There are only a handful of satellites up there and they ALL share those pathways.  (I am referring to the DUAL transfers).  Also, since they are shared, all those companies have a hidden policy... your bandwidth is limited and monitored!  Yep!  More you up/download, slower your connection. These are FACTS that those companies don't want you to know!  Don't believe me, call them and ask them, "Will my bandwidth of transfer bytes be limited?"  Anwer is yes!  They can not lie, but they CAN hide it before you buy it!  You are better off with dialup until better options are available.....

DarbyOhara

Musician
StarBuck on 6:52 pm on April 2, 2002[br]Wait for DSL or Cable?  You must be nuts.

I am nuts!  At least that what my lady tells me....  :lmao:

improve the technology - don't hold your breath.

:ohwell:  I agree!

Don't even get me started on the local cable company (maybe that's where the term yahoos came from).

:silly: I had the cable internet here and talk about a FAST and solid bandwidth.... but the company does stink for service... I complained so much that my service was off more than it was on, they credited me 3 months outta the 9 months I had them.... but when it was on, no limit!

I use the NetPerSec utility to monitor my actual network throughput.  This is a PC magazine utility.  I've seen data rates spike up to 1.4 Mbps using my satellite on download.  When I watch videos, I see the needle sit at 600+Kbps for minutes on end.  I routinely download large files with no problems (20+MB per file and as high as 200MB files).  I usually stay on-line for 12-24 hours per session.

Well, I am VERY rural and I got DSL... since my distance was a factor, I could only get the slower of the 2 services.  I am not sure what your "routinely" means... but if you live with Mrs. Bandwidth like I do, your satellite connection would be about the same as dialup!  She sucks down 200MB within hours... her puter stays on 24/7.... I average around 750 to 800 mbps... :notworthy:   oh!  did I mention, I watch movies before they are in the theatres?  lol

For merely twice the price of dial-up, I'll stick with AOL satellite for some time to come.

I am glad it fits your needs, but when I researched it, it wasn't going to fit our needs... This was over a year ago.. so perhaps they have improved their technology... but I know that the transfer limitation factor has not changed and I know still that everyone is sharing those orbiting metal cans up there.  I may be moving to a area that don't have cable or DSL... so maybe I'll look into then....  thanks for your input... and oh!  did I mention I watch the latest movies before they hit the theatres????  :)