Onion Soup

Dye Tie's original recipe, adaptation to follow:

Since I have firsthand experience with finding out that the French are the rudest, snobbiest people on earth, I am refusing to use 'French' in the name of my soup! I sliced 2 large red onions that made me cry, then 2 large Vidalia onions. I am "sweating" them in a stock pan with some olive oil and a plop of butter. It's smelling yummy! Can you smell me now? At 80 degrees today, the onions aren't the only ones sweating.

I just drained the moisture from the pan, tossed sweaty onions with a splash of olive oil and 2 cubes of sugar, turned up the heat and I am carmelizing those buggers. Time for my second glass of Merlot ...I hope I have some left for the soup!

Mama Mia! After carmelization and making good brown bits in my non stick pan, I poured in about 1.5 cups of Merlot , scrapped and stirred the bits and I am simmering it down with my onions. YUM. ( I just KNOW you are on the edge of your seat)

Well! I do not have fresh herbs for a bouquet garni so my ITALIAN Onion Soup will not be a clear broth. Just added about 3 cups normal chicken stock and 3 cups of sodium free beef broth along with some parsley, thyme and 2 bay leaves with fresh ground black pepper. Right now, it sounds better than it tastes Time for my 3rd glass of wine..good thing I am catching most of my typos I should have just eaten the wine soaked onions..LOL Hiccup... I just added a splash of balsamic vinegar. la minestra è buona!! More vino!

Adaptation

Instead of the 2 cubes of sugars, add a heaping teaspoon of light brown sugar.

Use a good Merlot. And you only know by taste testing during the cooking.

I didn't use chicken broth, I used Emerils's all natural beef broth. Since it has flavors and seasonings in it, I didn't add the seasons in the original recipe.

Still testing the Merlot.....

Go to Paneras and get bread bowls. Cut a circle straight down about 2-3 inches round. Remove the extra bread from inside the bowl. Cut the crust off the top of the piece you cut out, then cut a piece of the round part about an inch thick to put back into the bowl on top of the soup.

After the soup has simmered, put it in the bread bowl, add the bread circle, cover with Provolone cheese, and broil until brown and bubbly.

I'm up to the simmering part right now, 2nd glass of Merlot, and I'm feeling fine.

Side note: Merlot makes me horney....

Oh, and I forgot the best part... You need to check how much fuel is in the 16 oz bottle of propane that's running the Coleman stove which is on top of the real range. New range, not yet hooked up. I ran out in the middle of the caramelizing......

Last edited:

Micki

Dye Tie's original recipe, adaptation to follow:

Since I have firsthand experience with finding out that the French are the rudest, snobbiest people on earth, I am refusing to use 'French' in the name of my soup! I sliced 2 large red onions that made me cry, then 2 large Vidalia onions. I am "sweating" them in a stock pan with some olive oil and a plop of butter. It's smelling yummy! Can you smell me now? At 80 degrees today, the onions aren't the only ones sweating.

I just drained the moisture from the pan, tossed sweaty onions with a splash of olive oil and 2 cubes of sugar, turned up the heat and I am carmelizing those buggers. Time for my second glass of Merlot ...I hope I have some left for the soup!

Mama Mia! After carmelization and making good brown bits in my non stick pan, I poured in about 1.5 cups of Merlot , scrapped and stirred the bits and I am simmering it down with my onions. YUM. ( I just KNOW you are on the edge of your seat)

Well! I do not have fresh herbs for a bouquet garni so my ITALIAN Onion Soup will not be a clear broth. Just added about 3 cups normal chicken stock and 3 cups of sodium free beef broth along with some parsley, thyme and 2 bay leaves with fresh ground black pepper. Right now, it sounds better than it tastes Time for my 3rd glass of wine..good thing I am catching most of my typos I should have just eaten the wine soaked onions..LOL Hiccup... I just added a splash of balsamic vinegar. la minestra è buona!! More vino!

I completely agree with you on the french people but their onion soup is a different story - yeah I can smell it!!! :yahoo:

Lexib_

Blah.. Blah...Blah
hmmm.... I never used red onions.... does it give it a better flavor then just the vidalia onions?

hmmm.... I never used red onions.... does it give it a better flavor then just the vidalia onions?

Not sure. I'll bet you really can't tell the difference once you've cooked them down and added the broth/wine. I usually just use Vidalia or the sweet onions that look like Vidalia.