OBX mania!

John Z

if you will
Over the last year, I've noticed that everybody in the area seems to be an Outer Banks nut.  Every other car sports an oval OBX sticker.  Is this the car sticker fad of the naughts (decade of 2000-2009)?  Does everybody in the area vacation down there, or maybe the North Carolina tourism council mass mails these things out? :confused:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I've seen them also but didn't I didn't know what they meant, so whatever they are saying it's lost on me.:)  I hate having stickers on my car unless they are absolutely necessary.  I will never put a bumpersticker on my car either, but I enjoy reading other people's if they are funny.  There's a truck parked on my street (from Floriduh) with "Gore in 2004" and other Gore stickers on it and I just can't help laughing every time I walk by.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I have a 'CBM' sticker for 'Chesapeake Bay, Maryland' on my car - the first and only one I've EVER put on a vehicle- and I've yet to see anyone else with the sticker.

I got it up in one of the stores at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore because I too was tired of all of the OBX stickers around.  I love watching people try to figure out what it stands for! :lol:

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
I had a "KW" sticker on my car, but it peeled off... I'm a big fan of bumper stickers. I used to have one that said "Have You Flogged Your Crew Today?" It was a big hit with the sailing folks at school. I DID notice that most of the people with OBX stickers were lacrosse players, though.

I'm driving down to Key West next week... anybody need a "South of the Border" bumper sticker from South Carolina?

Speaking of bumper stickers, I saw a funny one last week at the Giant in California.  It said "My child was INMATE OF THE MONTH at the county jail".

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
I think the OBX stickers are used mostly by two people, those who actually visit the Outer Banks and those Jeep owners who do it to look cool.  You do realize that Jeep owners -- the real convertible type, not those Cherokee's or SUV types -- are the coolest you will ever see.  These are the same people who pay $125 for sunglasses, yet never wear them, keeping them on top of their head or hat.  They are never without their cell phone, and always on it, especially at bars.  They have fake tans, girls and guys.  They have those hats that are all shredded on the bill.  They carry their keys on a lanyard (probably an OBX one).  They have gym memberships.  They wear sandals with cargo shorts (yuk).  They dream of being a lifeguard and going to spring break and mardi gras.  Ahh, to be so cool.  Don't you hate those wannabe geeks.  Go live in the OBX or Ocean City, please.

M Bucker

Tipsy and Jazzy, you two are so ridiculous.  If we're gonna stereotype like that lets say everyone that drives a Camero is gonna have a mullet, smoke like a chimney, drink 10 oz. bud, play softball and listen to Megadeath.  Or how about every lady that drives a mini van has a "proud parent of an honor role student" sticker on their car, had 3 kids, goes to church every Sunday and participates in every bake sale.  The world is perfectly segregated right?????  Which stereotype do you fit into?????  

Christy

b*tch rocket
Sxy, me neither.  It was a vow I made way back when I was cool and in high school! :dude:  No mini-vans or station wagons.  I've kept to that even as I see all my high school buddies caving in and "vanning it".  

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
M Bucker on 2:49 pm on Mar. 6, 2002[br]Tipsy and Jazzy, you two are so ridiculous.  If we're gonna stereotype like that lets say everyone that drives a Camero is gonna have a mullet, smoke like a chimney, drink 10 oz. bud, play softball and listen to Megadeath.  Or how about every lady that drives a mini van has a "proud parent of an honor role student" sticker on their car, had 3 kids, goes to church every Sunday and participates in every bake sale.  The world is perfectly segregated right?????  Which stereotype do you fit into?????  
Hmmm...sounds like Tipsy and I hit a nerve...  I have a convertible (actually, TWO), so I guess you can categorize me anyway you like... :lmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tips sez
You do realize that Jeep owners -- the real convertible type, not those Cherokee's or SUV types -- are the coolest you will ever see.  These are the same people who pay $125 for sunglasses, yet never wear them, keeping them on top of their head or hat.  They are never without their cell phone, and always on it, especially at bars.  They have fake tans, girls and guys.  They have those hats that are all shredded on the bill.  They carry their keys on a lanyard (probably an OBX one).  They have gym memberships.  They wear sandals with cargo shorts (yuk).  They dream of being a lifeguard and going to spring break and mardi gras.  Ahh, to be so cool.  Don't you hate those wannabe geeks.

I'll go for the first sentence but after that you couldn't be more off-base.  I happen to be one of those ragtop Jeep drivers but I'm a 38 year old mother of 4 who just can't bear the thought of a minivan.  Our family car is a beast of a Suburban that is older than God and could feed a small nation with the fries on the floor - we think of it as "Meals on Wheels".

The stickers on my Jeep say "I'm the Proud Parent of an Honor Student" and "I'm the Proud Parent of a Soldier".  The one on the sissy bar says "Powder Pig". (If you don't ski, you won't know what that means)  My sunglasses actually retail for $325 but they were a gift from the shop owner and I wear them on my face or hung around my neck.  I have no cell phone nor a fake tan.  I wear no hat and my keychain is a beer opener (for just in case).  No gym membership and I don't wear cargo shorts.  But I do dream of lifeguards, spring break and Mardi Gras :lol:

(Edited by vraiblonde at 6:21 pm on Mar. 6, 2002)

M Bucker

Jazz Lady, let me guess, VW Cabrio and a Plymouth Renault.  Or maybe a Capri.  

I wouldn't say you hit a nerve so much as I just wanted to point out your closed minded ignorance.  I drive a 4 wheel drive Tacoma and use it to pull my ski boat around, not a mini-van to haul kids.  So make whatever stereotype about that you will.

M Bucker

Let’s look at the ignorance here shall we:

“$125” pair of sunglasses: So you think the cheap O ones at 7-Eleven will protect your eyes when you’re on the water fishing all day or skiing or snow skiing or, heaven forbid, lifeguarding.  Mine only cost $100.  They’re for people who actually get off the couch and do something outdoors.  Don’t worry, you’ll get it someday.

“Keys on a lanyard”: I used to carry mine on a lanyard before it was the thing.  When I was young we got ours at lacrosse camps because lacrosse shorts have no pockets so where are you gonna keep your keys???  I grew out of that though.  

“Gym Memberships”: So you really think this is a bad thing?????  Let me guess, you’re fat, jealous and angry.  Are you telling me physical health isn’t important?????  Once again it’s the “Get your fat a$$ off the couch” theory which a lot of people don’t seem to get these days.    

That’s all for now.

M Bucker

[QUOTE: You do realize that Jeep owners -- the real convertible type, not those Cherokee's or SUV types -- are the coolest you will ever see.  These are the same people who pay $125 for sunglasses, yet never wear them, keeping them on top of their head or hat.  They are never without their cell phone, and always on it, especially at bars.  They have fake tans, girls and guys.  They have those hats that are all shredded on the bill.  They carry their keys on a lanyard (probably an OBX one).  They have gym memberships.  They wear sandals with cargo shorts (yuk).  They dream of being a lifeguard and going to spring break and mardi gras.  Ahh, to be so cool.  Don't you hate those wannabe geeks.]

Let’s look at the ignorance here shall we:

“$125” pair of sunglasses: So you think the cheap O ones at 7-Eleven will protect your eyes when you’re on the water fishing all day or skiing or snow skiing or, heaven forbid, lifeguarding.  Mine only cost $100.  They’re for people who actually get off the couch and do something outdoors.  Don’t worry, you’ll get it someday.

“Keys on a lanyard”: I used to carry mine on a lanyard before it was the thing.  When I was young we got ours at lacrosse camps because lacrosse shorts have no pockets so where are you gonna keep your keys???  I grew out of that though.  

“Gym Memberships”: So you really think this is a bad thing?????  Let me guess, you’re fat, jealous and angry.  Are you telling me physical health isn’t important?????  Once again it’s the “Get your fat a$$ off the couch” theory which a lot of people don’t seem to get these days.    

That’s all for now.
[/quote]

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
Okay.  Maybe I got off on too much of a rant, but I bet I'm still three-quarters right.  I just have a really good time making fun of people, but mean no harm by it whatsoever.  I can take it, so I don't mind dishing it out now and then.  Bucker, I do agree with your stereotype, too, but if they drive a Camaro, they must be from Waldorf.  Narrow minded, somewhat.  I drive an SUV, so I guess you could stereotype me into a middle class american wannabe rich person.  My keychain has a bottle opener, so you can take it from there.  I use my SUV to pull around my boat, too, so that makes us both rednecks, except yours is for skiing.  10 ounce cans rule!!!  I'm just open minded and laid back really, and having fun, so don't take everything so serious.  I am glad I sparked so many comments on the forums, though.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My first car was a '67 Camaro.  I now drive an SUV, kid friendly & no mini-van for me.   One Harley Davidson sticker on the back.

Don't drink Beer, prefer wine.  

Don't even use my lanyard for my badge, even on the base, I have about 4 laying around.  

My sunglasses cost about $15 at Target.  Whenever I spent high $$$ on glasses I ALWAYS seemed to either lose or break them.  My cheapos last forever and do the trick!

My cell phone lives in the car and is never charged up, just plugged in.  I don't consider myself important enough to bug other people with my conversations, say... during dinner at a nice restaurant.

My sister has an OBX sticker of her car, because we go down several times a year to the family beach house and have MAJOR parties.

What does that make us?????

(Edited by RoseRed at 9:44 am on Mar. 7, 2002)