Moms in here please

joeyinlexpark

Back In Hometown NY
How do you stop your 2 1/2 yr old from biting??? He likes to bite kids at daycare, should I bite him back to show him its not nice:biggrin: But serioulsy, hes gonna get booted out of daycare if he keeps biting.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Biting is very normal, especially at that age. I'm not sure what "they" recommend, but I was in the grocery store with my oldest son. He was sitting in the front of the cart and leaned over and bit me on my, uh..... Well, needless to say I was in a great amount of pain and just reacted and bit him on his arm. Never bit me again. I didn't go through it with my younger one. Did you do a search on the internet to see what the experts advise??

looky here

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
When my daughter was 22 months, she got mad at me because I wouldn't let her eat the doggie treat. She in turn bit me on my arse. Hurt like hell and left teeth marks for a week.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why do you say that, Catt? I never had any biters but Doug spit at me one time - I knocked him across the room. It was just a reaction and I felt bad, but he never spit again.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I don't have kids, but when the dawg was a puppy he bit me hard and I bit him on the ear (my dad's reasoning skills at work) and he never has bit me nor anybody else again. :shrug:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I say bite him back too. The other day I was putting the little one in the car and he was pitching a fit. I tried handing him his toy phone to occupy him and he threw it at me busting me square in the nose. I smacked the crap out of his hand and almost felt bad because I thought maybe I had hit him too hard but then I realized it didn't even phase him. Boy am I gonna be in trouble when the terrible 2's really start.:frown:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by joeyinlexpark
How do you stop your 2 1/2 yr old from biting??? ...
Rap 'em on the nose with a rolled up newspaper?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You know what's funny? "They" always say that if you smack your kid, you're teaching them violence and they'll grow up to be violent. But I was never afraid of getting physical with my kids and establishing that dominance over them and they turned out fine. I didn't beat them or anything like that, but I had no qualms about smacking their butts or popping them in the mouth.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by vraiblonde
You know what's funny? "They" always say that if you smack your kid, you're teaching them violence and they'll grow up to be violent. But I was never afraid of getting physical with my kids and establishing that dominance over them and they turned out fine. I didn't beat them or anything like that, but I had no qualms about smacking their butts or popping them in the mouth.

:yeahthat: My parents (well my mom) use to spank the hell out of me. She didn't do it often but when she did it was very effective. I didn't just get the hand either. I got a belt or a spoon or something. My dad on the other hand only spanked me once. I can still remember running from him because I was so scared. He did it bare handed too.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Why do you say that, Catt?

I read the article I posted for Joey. But, seriously, he NEVER bit another soul. I can still remember the looks I got from the old ladies in the produce section where the "assult" occurred.:biggrin:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Kids that age bite because they are frustrated. Usually because they can't talk as well as they understand. They know what they want to say, such as, "I want that toy" but don't know how.

This is what worked for me. If you see them getting frustrated, intervene before they bite. If it's too late, remove them from the situation, comfort the victim first. The biter needs to see that biting gets the other kid attention. Then tell your kid that you understand that what they wanted but too bad and biting won't help. Like this, "Biting is not nice. I know you want that truck, but Joey is playing with it right now and you have to wait. Why don't you play with this car."

It's not an instant cure, it takes a few times but it works. As we speak, my former biter (now 2 1/2) is on the floor screaming "My turn" at his brother (annoying, yes but no one is hurt).

joeyinlexpark

Back In Hometown NY
Well thanks for all the repsonses so quickly, if he bites again I am going to bite him back! This "nice touches Sean" is a crock!!!

blueeyes76

Originally posted by cattitude
Well, needless to say I was in a great amount of pain and just reacted and bit him on his arm. Never bit me again.

That's exactly how my Mom cured me of biting! I was throwing a temper tantrum, she was sitting on the couch and I threw my head into her lap and bit her on her inner thigh. She picked me up and bit me back...she said I screamed for a while...but I never bit anybody again!

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by joeyinlexpark
Well thanks for all the repsonses so quickly, if he bites again I am going to bite him back! This "nice touches Sean" is a crock!!!

But after you bite him back, make sure you ask "that hurt didn't it" Make sure he knows that biting is wrong but at the same time let him know how it feels!