Protein Question

thurley42

HY;FR
I do my cardio immediately after my weight training. I have found numerous test results indicating this is the optimum time for fat loss/minimal muscle loss, what I haven't found however, is information regarding my postworkout Protein/BCAA intake. Should I take it after my weight session en route to the Treadmill? I have been doing it immediately after my cardio, I've felt like taking in more calories, albeit protein calories, might retard my bodies ability to burn fat. The more I think about it though, it seems logical that as I do cardio, my body is depleted of carbs and is pullling from muscle for energy.

I will admit I have only looked for a day or two on info about this, but haven't been too successful. Does anyone have any information on this? I'm sure everyone has an opinion, but I didn't know if anyone has read up on it.

Thanks in Advance...

warneckutz

I guess it depends on how long you've been hitting the weights. A lot of articles will say that after about an hour or so of "intense" training you're just spinning your wheels and you should either hit the cardio or shower and get out.

I've tried having a shake inbetween the weights and cardio and after doing the whole deal and I really can't remember noticing any difference. I think you run the risk of an upset stomach if you have a protein drink inbetween unless you have an iron gut.

I'm not sure if it would make a difference but I guess you could consume half of your drink inbetween the weights and cardio then finish it off when it's all said and done.

There's a lot of science to it, but a lot of guesswork to it as well since our bodies can react so differently.

Good Luck!

I do my cardio immediately after my weight training. I have found numerous test results indicating this is the optimum time for fat loss/minimal muscle loss, what I haven't found however, is information regarding my postworkout Protein/BCAA intake. Should I take it after my weight session en route to the Treadmill? I have been doing it immediately after my cardio, I've felt like taking in more calories, albeit protein calories, might retard my bodies ability to burn fat. The more I think about it though, it seems logical that as I do cardio, my body is depleted of carbs and is pullling from muscle for energy.

I will admit I have only looked for a day or two on info about this, but haven't been too successful. Does anyone have any information on this? I'm sure everyone has an opinion, but I didn't know if anyone has read up on it.

Thanks in Advance...

Last edited:

thurley42

HY;FR
You made a great point that I didn't list about an upset stomach. I use protein shots from IDS "New Whey" because if I have anything in me before I go to the gym I have a terrible workout. Not really sick, but just feel really weighted down. I'm sure it is mental, but as you know, it plays a huge role in how effective you are.

I try not to lift for over 45 minutes. I don't use a partner, I don't really talk a lot, I like to get in, focus on the workout, and get done. I think for me, I"ve just hit a plateau and my fat loss has slowed, I know if i keep up my routine in a week or so I will drop again. I just want to keep my weight around where it is as I drop BF.

Thanks for the help!

warneckutz

You made a great point that I didn't list about an upset stomach. I use protein shots from IDS "New Whey" because if I have anything in me before I go to the gym I have a terrible workout. Not really sick, but just feel really weighted down. I'm sure it is mental, but as you know, it plays a huge role in how effective you are.

I try not to lift for over 45 minutes. I don't use a partner, I don't really talk a lot, I like to get in, focus on the workout, and get done. I think for me, I"ve just hit a plateau and my fat loss has slowed, I know if i keep up my routine in a week or so I will drop again. I just want to keep my weight around where it is as I drop BF.

Thanks for the help!

I've seen those, never tried them.

I always try to eat about at least an hour prior to hitting the gym, having whole food in my stomach keeps me feeling full (starving in the middle of a workout is the worst).

Just don't get too hung up on protein drinks 24/7, one of the most valuable things I've learn in the last year is that the best time for a protein drink is first thing in the morning when you wake up and post-workout. If you eat clean flood then you're not putting garbage in your body and it has to work harder to digest and breakdown the food (kind of like fat burning, in a sense) and keeping you full longer whereas a protein drink is assymilated imediately and you'll be hungry again in no time.

Last edited:

thurley42

HY;FR
I've seen those, never tried them.

I always try to eat about at least an hour prior to hitting the gym, having whole food in my stomach keeps me feeling full (starving in the middle of a workout is the worst).

Just don't get too hung up on protein drinks 24/7, one of the most valuable things I've learn in the last year is that the best time for a protein drink is first thing in the morning when you wake up and post-workout. If you eat clean flood then you're not putting garbage in your body and it has to work harder to digest and breakdown the food (kind of like fat burning, in a sense) and keeping you full longer whereas a protein drink is assymilated imeddiately and you'll be hungry again in no time.

Yeah, I just use the protein shots pre and post workout. Like you said we're all different, and when I start getting hungry, thats when my focus and intensity kicks up....Weird, i Know..but we play the hand we were dealt.....lol

My diet is clean, two years ago I decided I was going to get "peeled" at all costs and did it, but the fall out from it was overtraining related injuries that set me back 3 months when I finally died out. I was eating like a Somolian because I thought that was how I would lose the fat. I can't even imagine how much muscle I lost in the process.

My diet now consists of complex carbs in the am hours mixed with low fat protein and nothing but high protein no carb food after 330. I try to eat every 2-3 hours small meals and I'm continously changing my weight routines so I don't get complacent or adjusted....They teach you how to anticipate and train for anything and everything...except the patience of getting where you want....

B

Big Fatty

Thanks in Advance...

I am far from being a nutrition expert. I do know what works for me in regards to gaining weight/losing weight or dropping bodyfat.

Some great resources:

Troponin Nutrition - Home
Dr. John Berardi, Ph.D.
EliteFTS - Powerlifting and Strength Training Products and Knowledge for Lifters, Athletes, Coaches, and Trainers
TESTOSTERONE NATION | World's Largest Bodybuilding and Weight Loss Underground Nation

Your question is hard to answer definitively because it varies so much from person to person. Experimenting for 1-2 month intervals is a good starting point. Keep a log and journal what you feel is going on. Make a decision based off those results.

I have always like getting bcaas before and after my training sessions. When I was seriously bodybuilding (yes there was a dark time in my life when I did) I even found success in pushing bcaa's/protein during my workouts. This really help pack on LBM and reduce BF. I did cardio in the AM and weights in the PM though. May not fit into your schedule.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Interesting thread...

...I do cardio first and then lift and I feel like my lifting goes much, much better than lift then run. I feel like I recover much faster between sets and I attribute it to my whole body being warmed and oxygenated from the run. Is this not the done thing??? I would hate to lift first and I think I'd more likely injure something as well. The run really makes me feel lose and warm for lifting.

Also, I've been told carbs for gas before the gym and protein after for muscle recovery. So, carbs it is; pop tarts or toast or cereal and milk before and eggs and meat after.

And I am SCULPTED.

Picture the Michelin man with better legs.

:eyebrow:

B

Big Fatty

I guess it depends on how long you've been hitting the weights. A lot of articles will say that after about an hour or so of "intense" training you're just spinning your wheels and you should either hit the cardio or shower and get out.

I've tried having a shake inbetween the weights and cardio and after doing the whole deal and I really can't remember noticing any difference. I think you run the risk of an upset stomach if you have a protein drink inbetween unless you have an iron gut.

I'm not sure if it would make a difference but I guess you could consume half of your drink inbetween the weights and cardio then finish it off when it's all said and done.

There's a lot of science to it, but a lot of guesswork to it as well since our bodies can react so differently.

Good Luck!

Should be noted that there is science that says the whole PRE/POST workout protein/carb intake window is BS. I say experiment and find what works but Ant is saying that too. :yay:

warneckutz

...I do cardio first and then lift and I feel like my lifting goes much, much better than lift then run. I feel like I recover much faster between sets and I attribute it to my whole body being warmed and oxygenated from the run. Is this not the done thing??? I would hate to lift first and I think I'd more likely injure something as well. The run really makes me feel lose and warm for lifting.

Also, I've been told carbs for gas before the gym and protein after for muscle recovery. So, carbs it is; pop tarts or toast or cereal and milk before and eggs and meat after.

And I am SCULPTED.

Picture the Michelin man with better legs.

:eyebrow:

From what I've read, it takes 15-20 minutes of cardio before your body starts burning bodyfat (of course if you go too long you start to dig into the muscle). Soooooo - Muscle & Fitness/FLEX would say to hit the weights first (because you're fresh and your energy has not been depleted) and if you workout for 20-45 minutes you're body is already warmed up and in that "fat burning zone" so when you hit the cardio you're immediately tapping into the bodyfat storage. That's what a few articles have said anyway (and their target audience is for those trying to pack on muscle and slash the bf%).

SOME recent articles also suggest that it's good to have BOTH PRE (simple & complex) & POST (simple)-WORKOUT carbs.

Just my $.02 :nomoney:

cdrfunk

From what I've read, it takes 15-20 minutes of cardio before your body starts burning bodyfat (of course if you go too long you start to dig into the muscle).

People think of fat burning as some turn on/turn off process. It's a constant fluctuation and both carbs and fat CAN be burned at the same time.

The best cardio time for fat loss is early morning walking on an empty stomach. Your glucose levels are pitifully low and the only thing readily available to 'burn' is fat. Muscle loss is vastly overly stated and can be mitigated if you're anal by taking 5-10g of BCAAs or like half a serving of whey (not that whey+sugar garbage combo). Too much running itself, as well as most high impact cardio, largely affects central nervous system recovery for strength purposes and will very likely carry over to lifting for most people.

Really if the main goal is fat loss, low carb is the way to go. Turn your body onto preferientially preferring fat as its main fuel source. Fat loss is severely inhibited by insulin (released in response to carbs). Humans were never meant to eat food like grains. Did caveman eat cereal? Note that humans weren't commonly fat until processed carbs were the mainstay of their diet in the 20th century.

Last edited:

thurley42

HY;FR
Thanks to all....

who answered. A lot of good information out of this. Basically I just wanted to know if I could raise BF burn and lower LMM burn by taking the protein in between lifting and cardio.

The important thing is doing something and dieting...that is the battle, all of the other things are just little things that help give you an extra boost...

But as well all know, it's the little things that matter

Thanks again.

warneckutz

who answered. A lot of good information out of this. Basically I just wanted to know if I could raise BF burn and lower LMM burn by taking the protein in between lifting and cardio.

The important thing is doing something and dieting...that is the battle, all of the other things are just little things that help give you an extra boost...

Thanks again.

:yay:

T

toppick08

Thanks again.

Marlboro 100's can give you an extra boost, not to mention curbing the hunger pains........:lmao:

B

Big Fatty

People think of fat burning as some turn on/turn off process. It's a constant fluctuation and both carbs and fat CAN be burned at the same time.

The best cardio time for fat loss is early morning walking on an empty stomach. Your glucose levels are pitifully low and the only thing readily available to 'burn' is fat. Muscle loss is vastly overly stated and can be mitigated if you're anal by taking 5-10g of BCAAs or like half a serving of whey (not that whey+sugar garbage combo). Too much running itself, as well as most high impact cardio, largely affects central nervous system recovery for strength purposes and will very likely carry over to lifting for most people.

Really if the main goal is fat loss, low carb is the way to go. Turn your body onto preferientially preferring fat as its main fuel source. Fat loss is severely inhibited by insulin (released in response to carbs). Humans were never meant to eat food like grains. Did caveman eat cereal? Note that humans weren't commonly fat until processed carbs were the mainstay of their diet in the 20th century.

This is possibly the worst answer I have ever heard. Sorry but I disagree. You are wrong sir.

1st. You 1st point is right on. This is the only point that is on though.

2nd. The best cardio time is anytime. Jesus H. Christ, if this were true all fat people would crowd the gyms at 0500! I am not going to give a scientific answer to this as it would go over your head and many others here but do some research on the body's energy systems.

3rd. "Too much running itself, as well as most high impact cardio, largely affects central nervous system recovery for strength purposes and will very likely carry over to lifting for most people." OMG! Have you seen what sprinters look like? Most people are not the target audience that this will affect. Your point would be better suited to elite athletes. And even then it would be elite strength athletes who would be most affected by high-impact cardio prior to strength training.

4th. Now your last paragraph is the real whopper. Low carb the way to go? This fad diet has been debunked a million times. Now if you want to talk about a hi/low carb or metabolic diet then we have something. Your body will never prefer fat as a fuel source. This statement is ludacris(sp?). The body can breakdown fat and convert it to usable energy, however it will always prefer carbs 1st. Do your homework before you come up with such outlandish statements. When you can explain the Kreb's cycle or what ATP is/does, then you have something. Don't freaking confuse people!

5. "Fat loss is severely inhibited by insulin (released in response to carbs)." JUST PLAIN STUPID! Did you make this up?

6. "Humans were never meant to eat food like grains. Did caveman eat cereal?" I cannot believe you even thought up and typed this statement. Anyone who thinks this is true is ignorant. Look at countries whose diets revolve around grains instead of meats. They are not fat people. Caveman diets? See this reference: John Berardi - Digging Up Our Nutritional Past

7. "Note that humans weren't commonly fat until processed carbs were the mainstay of their diet in the 20th century." I would argue that humans became fat due to a cumulative effect not a single circumstance. I say this though, we are predominantly fat due to technological advances that make us less physically active.

:doh::doh::doh: