Relic Hunting

BrandonR

Is anyone into relic hunting? I've thought about doing it for a long time and would actually like to go out and do it someday here soon, but I'm not sure of any places around here locally that I could actually FIND something. I know Calvert Cliffs has fossils and sharks teeth and whatnot, but I'm talking about War relics or something from a centuries old homestead.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Is anyone into relic hunting? I've thought about doing it for a long time and would actually like to go out and do it someday here soon, but I'm not sure of any places around here locally that I could actually FIND something. I know Calvert Cliffs has fossils and sharks teeth and whatnot, but I'm talking about War relics or something from a centuries old homestead.

You have a metal detector?

Radiant1

Soul Probe

I suspect everything that can be found at Point Lookout already has been found, but you could always try it. :shrug:

rockfish

I used to civil war relic hunt in Virginia for years before moving to SOMD. I have a bunch of civil war buttons, bullets and other artifacts. I would love to get back into it. The biggest problem is getting people to give you permission to dig up their property. A lot of relic hunters will just dig a hole and leave it open. I always filled mine back in so you could hardly tell I was there.

Last edited:

rockfish

I suspect everything that can be found at Point Lookout already has been found, but you could always try it. :shrug:

They say there is more stuff still in the ground than what's been found. I know I've gone over the same piece of ground numerous times and find stuff each time. Plus, the metal detectors are a lot more sophisticated now than they were years ago.

Hessian

Please don't force the State to come up with new rules against fossil/relic hunters!

As it is the hobby has gotten horrible press from a handful of trespassers and looters.
There was a time when folks were open to having hobbyists hunt their land-even when state park rangers pointed out good spots (ie the 1950's), but those days are gone.

Even mucking through the tidewater can get you in trouble if you enter a historically sensitive area.

I believe that the golden days of metal detecting were in the 70's...now, the only place you feel safe is in your back yard or swinging the coil on an empty beach.

Personally: I think bottle hunting will still be a challenge for a while...metal detecting is VERY limited due to state/Fed and private property laws.

BrandonR

I don't have a metal detector, unfortunately.

And Re: State and National Parks, they have strict policies about what you find there, I knew that before I even thought about getting into this as a hobby. Anything you find on their land, unless you have permission saying otherwise, you have to give to them because it's their property.

You can't look at Pt. Lookout anymore because they post police there at night now. I used to go ghost hunting down there with friends last year and we got in just fine, but after a few times we went down there once and there were two troopers waiting there who told us that the only way they would let you in is if you were going down there to fish at night. So, I suppose you could always just take fishing gear with you when you go, but I don't really feel like going to the trouble.

I've thought about just taking to my back yard and seeing what I find, but I don't suspect I'd find much.

Snock

Unregistered User
I found the remnants of a paper bag with about eight bucks in change buried in my backyard the first day I got my metal detector :yahoo:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I took my sons to Cape May, NJ when they were little and we went to the beach where the cement ship was sunk, my oldest son found an old compass that had the glass broken out and also a handle in the shape of a goose from on old cast iron pan. We took it to the museum nearby and the lady was really snotty and acted like there was no way we found that there.

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
I took my sons to Cape May, NJ when they were little and we went to the beach where the cement ship was sunk, my oldest son found an old compass that had the glass broken out and also a handle in the shape of a goose from on old cast iron pan. We took it to the museum nearby and the lady was really snotty and acted like there was no way we found that there.

I would have bounced back with if you don't want it I'll just keep it!