Looking for an UNCLIPPED rottweiler.....

ViX

Good Eye, Sniper...
can anyone help?
my husband & i are looking for an UNCLIPPED (with a TAIL) Rottweiler or rottie pup. does anyone know where i can get one? or would any of you breeders be willing to leave one female pup unclipped????????

someone please help.....

sincerely- vix

ViX

Good Eye, Sniper...
i want her unclipped because i have a hard time understanding WHY they NEED to be clipped. MOST animals have tails- and i just assume theyre there for a reason. call me an activist- but i just dont see why we as a society mutilate certain breeds to make them *look nicer*. i could understand a little better if it served a purpose..i really just think its mean. like- you wouldnt cut off a kids hand or anything to make it look *cool*.... so why do it to a dog?

namaste-
vix

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I'm not sure about rotties but I know with certain breeds like dobbies the tails are cut because they do not sit up, instead they go between the legs and get in the way a lot when the dog uses the bathroom and can make for a big mess.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I couldn't agree with you more. I think its cruel. Mine already had it done since we got her as an adult. I would never do it either. I am a huge animal rights person and I would outlaw it if I could.

ViX

Good Eye, Sniper...
yes i have as a matter of fact... my mum used to breed cocker spaniels......

spinner

The reason I asked is because when I've seen it done at 3 days old it didn't seem to bother the puppies too much, they went right back to nursing. They had their dewclaws done at the same time. The vet didn't even stitch them. I like a dog with a docked tail, we had a mastiff that could clear the table when she was happy. The worst docking I ever saw was in a pet shop where I worked in Flordia many years ago. The owner decided to dock the tail of an eight week old puppy without the vet. It was horrible, but then she did other stuff that made you wonder...

ViX

Good Eye, Sniper...
well- im glad im getting so much positive feedback on the subject :)................now if i could just FIND an unclipped dog lol!

blueeyes76

just a suggestion...try talking to a breeder before the pups are even born.

i contacted my puppy's breeder about 3 weeks before he was born. he's a 12 week old yorkshire terrier, by the way :)

SerenitStables

ViX said:
i want her unclipped because i have a hard time understanding WHY they NEED to be clipped. MOST animals have tails- and i just assume theyre there for a reason. call me an activist- but i just dont see why we as a society mutilate certain breeds to make them *look nicer*. i could understand a little better if it served a purpose..i really just think its mean. like- you wouldnt cut off a kids hand or anything to make it look *cool*.... so why do it to a dog?

namaste-
vix

I totally agree with you. Thank you for saying it.

I own a male rottie with a tail. I just couldnt see cutting it off. He puts it up in the air. It is cute as can be!!

Hope you find what you are looking for.

~Jen~

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
If you want a purebred unDOCKED Rottie, you can look for someone who breeds European stock or even import one yourself. Docking and cropping is banned in most countries other than America. European judges come to America because they LIKE the look of a docked dog, and they don't see them in their own countries, and are miffed because their country binds them legally to leaving the tails on. Breeds which served a purpose like the herding or guarding Rottie had their tails docked to eliminate an additional "handle" in situations where it would be injured, such as when herding cattle. Cows sometimes stepped on or bit tails and injured the dog, or a robber can grab a tail and hold the dog while stealing the money in the pack around it's neck. Butchers dogs were tasked with transporting the day's earnings to the bank at the end of each day.

The American Rottie Club officers PREFERS the tail DOCKED, for many reasons. They have just this year changed the standard to make the tail a serious fault if left intact. If we start leaving the tails on the dogs, we will have to gradually change the entire rear assembly of the dog since we don't know exactly HOW the tail will hang (or not in some cases they are held "gay" which is completely curled over the back exposing the butthole, and are sometimes even bare, with no hair at all! :dead: ) the dog's conformation is defined in the breed standard, and is described according to the existing lack of a tail.

As a breeder, I would never choose a 3 day old pup to leave a tail and dock the rest. I show my dogs and if the one WITH the tail turned out to be the best, i have given it a major breed ring fault!! Ths greatly reduces the chances of the dog winning.

I myself feel a rottie is a rottie with or without a tail. Rottncop HATES the tails. So the battle rages on....i hope this helps.

Oh and BTW i band tails, which is exactly the same way extra human fingers are removed. When they figure out a new way to do this, i may consider changing how i remove tails. Newborn pups experience pain completely differently than older dogs, due to their immature nervous systems. They can't even shivver if they're cold. It causes no lasting effect what so ever aside from no longer having the tail.

You could also go to a back yard breeder. I'm sure if you pay for a puppy up front they'll keep one on for you. Or you could go for a rottie mix.

Last edited:

SoftballCrazy

ViX said:
can anyone help?
my husband & i are looking for an UNCLIPPED (with a TAIL) Rottweiler or rottie pup. does anyone know where i can get one? or would any of you breeders be willing to leave one female pup unclipped????????

someone please help.....

sincerely- vix
Try the shelter on Rt 231, there are TONS of good adoptable dogs there, Rottweilers come thru there alot, as well as other purebreds. Right now there is a male rottie at the shelter who is on death row, he needs a home ASAP, if you rottie folks know of anyone looking...There are also quite a few labs at the shelter.

BrassieChic

I don't know if this dog is unclipped or not but there is a Rottie at Tri-County that's "time is almost up" and is in dire need of a home! It makes me sad when they say that. I adopted my little Rattie a few months ago and her "time" was almost up, I got her just 3 days before and she is an absolute blessing!

Good luck!

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
jeneisen said:
I couldn't agree with you more. I think its cruel. Mine already had it done since we got her as an adult. I would never do it either. I am a huge animal rights person and I would outlaw it if I could.

We have a Jack Russell and a Weimeraner(sp) and they both have docked tails. I could not imagine either with a long tail and would not of considered purchasing these dogs from a breeder who did not know to have their tails docked. In my opinion dogs that do not resemble their breeds characterics look more like a mix breed, whether that be tail docking, ear clipping, etc.

And as for pain.......have you ever heard the scream of a new born baby boy who is being circumcised? I have 2 sons and I know:bawl:it has to be painful ....but if I had another son would I have him circumcised? Of course I would. And do you think my sons recall the pain? No! And I am sure if given the choice...........to be or not to be :whistle: they would BE!