Cougars in Brandeywine md...

T

TwilightImaging

Apparently there have been a number of Cougars spotted in this area among other areas for the past few years, anyone have any luck tracking or spotting any...woohoo. 16 miles from the cuz'!

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Don't hold your breath.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/naturalresource/fall2007/lions.pdf

In Maryland, we receive a dozen to two dozen reports a year from citizens who see, hear or find signs of cougars. Or so they think!
On rare occasion, someone video tapes or gets a photo of a “cougar.” I have seen five such videos in the past 15 years. In two, it was relatively easy to determine that the animal in question was not a cougar. However, one video taken by a landowner in Garrett County cannot be ruled
out completely.

Could there be a mountain lion or two roaming the wilds of Maryland? Sure there could be. It is not hard to find mountain lions for sale on the internet, though it is illegal to possess one in Maryland. We have trapped alligators, caimans, and wallabies from the wild in Maryland, so it is not inconceivable that a former pet cougar could be out there.

In the case of mountain lions, it will be hard to distinguish between a former captive animal and true native cat. Before we tackle that question, one must be documented with conclusive evidence in Maryland. Keep your
eyes open!

That said, there is a farm in Brandywine that used to have a license to keep exotic/wild animals. When we were kids,we would occasionally hear about something getting loose. I once saw a stray buffalo they'd lost. They also had an African Lion, that once got out of it's enclosure, although I don't think it actually got off the farm. I think they had so much trouble with security that they lost their license and had to get rid of those animals, but it wouldn't be impossible for them to have misplaced a cougar or two over the years.

T

TwilightImaging

bunch of bull

Further research and a call...your right...these were never proven...although they found the leg hair of a cougar in scat in the area. The last 100% confirmation of Cougars were in Delaware...and they deducted both of them had escaped...oh well.

I'll put the Cougars to bed.