Look What We Found...

belvak

Happy Camper
Our Son found this guy in the road yesterday on the way home from taking the trash to the convenience center in Charlotte Hall. He re-located him to Gilbert Run Park.

Attachments

• Snapper 1.jpg
    Snapper 1.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 269
  • Snapper 2.jpg
    Snapper 2.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 235

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Is it the angle or is he/she really that big?? I see little turtles crossing the road all the time and worry that they will end up as speed bumps.:frown: When I can, I stop and pick them up and move them somewhere safer, but nearby because I'm always worried that they are a mommy turtle out looking for food and they have babies somewhere nearby who are waiting for their return.

belvak

Happy Camper
Is it the angle or is he/she really that big?? I see little turtles crossing the road all the time and worry that they will end up as speed bumps.:frown: When I can, I stop and pick them up and move them somewhere safer, but nearby because I'm always worried that they are a mommy turtle out looking for food and they have babies somewhere nearby who are waiting for their return.

He was really that big! My Son had to use his welding gloves to pick him up and he was snapping all over the place. After I took the hot dog pic, the turtle snapped at it. He made a very loud snapping noise as his mouth closed! Hubby and I have a habit of picking turtles up off the road too, but we have never come across one this big!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
He was really that big! My Son had to use his welding gloves to pick him up and he was snapping all over the place. After I took the hot dog pic, the turtle snapped at it. He made a very loud snapping noise as his mouth closed! Hubby and I have a habit of picking turtles up off the road too, but we have never come across one this big!

:faint:

jenbengen

Watch it
Our Son found this guy in the road yesterday on the way home from taking the trash to the convenience center in Charlotte Hall. He re-located him to Gilbert Run Park.

Holy crap, that IS a big turtle. Kudos for moving it somewhere safe.

belvak

Happy Camper
That's a snapping turtle. They get bigger than that.

Yeah, we knew he was a snapper. He was really feisty too! He was throwing his head back trying to get around his shell to bite my Son. Here's a better (bigger) pic. Check out his claws.

Outdoors012.jpg

Cowgirl

My dad found one crossing our driveway once. If you hold your arms in front of you to make a circle, he was that big!

T

toppick08

Yeah, we knew he was a snapper. He was really feisty too! He was throwing his head back trying to get around his shell to bite my Son. Here's a better (bigger) pic. Check out his claws.

Outdoors012.jpg

Turtle soup goes great with longnecks.............:lol:

I

Inkpen

1. Turtles lay the eggs and split..no "mommy"..babies are on their own.
No "daddy" either..he just mounts, mates and leaves....

2.Always put the turtle in a safe place in the direction it was headed.

3. Many turtles are "dirt" specific and need to get back to the "dirt" of their birth to lay eggs.

4. Only maternial reptiles: crocks and gators.

5. Please leave turtles in thier own world and not take them hostige for life into yours.
(ie: Maryland turtles are not pets....Thanks!!!:howdy:)

And that snapper is fantastic!!! Nice rescue and relocation!!!!:buddies: