paintint bottom of boat ?

jenbengen

Watch it
painting bottom of boat ?

We need to get the bottom of our boat painted to start keeping it in a wet slip. We've never done this before. Anybody have any recommendations on who to use? Can they do it at our home? Average price? Oh, we live in Great Mills.

I figured some of the boaters on the forum could help a girl out. :howdy:

Last edited:
We need to get the bottom of our boat painted to start keeping it in a wet slip. We've never done this before. Anybody have any recommendations on who to use? Can they do it at our home? Average price? Oh, we live in Great Mills.

I doubt anyone would do it at your house. I had mine done at Cedar Cove Marina, but that was years ago and I don't know who owns it now. They sanded off the gel coat and then painted it. I guess the paint does not stick to gel coat too well. After that I did it myself every year. Call around to the different marinas and those in Solomons are most likely the most expensive.

jenbengen

Watch it
I doubt anyone would do it at your house. I had mine done at Cedar Cove Marina, but that was years ago and I don't know who owns it now. They sanded off the gel coat and then painted it. I guess the paint does not stick to gel coat too well. After that I did it myself every year. Call around to the different marinas and those in Solomons are most likely the most expensive.

Thanks for the info. I'll call over to Cedar Cove since they are right near my home. :yay:

I was always told that it was best to paint the boat and get it into the water before the paint dried hard. Not sure why.. I did that tho, I'd ground my sailboat at high tide, paint it, and when the tide came back in, float away. always did it myself. Toughest part was the prep work, scraping and sanding.

Do it yourself. Buy the paint at Boater's World or West marine or True Value (yes, I've seen name brand bottom paint at the one in Charlotte Hall and L'town). Very easy to do.

jenbengen

Watch it
Do it yourself. Buy the paint at Boater's World or West marine or True Value (yes, I've seen name brand bottom paint at the one in Charlotte Hall and L'town). Very easy to do.

:lmao: Not happening- hubby is working long hours on the carrier and I can't see myself sanding and painting the bottom of this boat. My cheap self would love to find the time, but I think I'll have to pay somebody to do it at least the first time. But thanks for the info for in the future! :yay:

Oh, and hubby would need a change of underwear if he saw me heading towards the boat with a sander in my hand. :lmao:

LordStanley

I know nothing

Washburns

bohman

Might want to check Back Creek boatyard, behind Boomerangs in Solomons. They have relatively low prices for simple jobs.

:lmao: Not happening- hubby is working long hours on the carrier and I can't see myself sanding and painting the bottom of this boat. My cheap self would love to find the time, but I think I'll have to pay somebody to do it at least the first time. But thanks for the info for in the future! :yay:

Oh, and hubby would need a change of underwear if he saw me heading towards the boat with a sander in my hand. :lmao:

Even repainting is not a lot of fun. You either have to get it up off the trailor or move it back and forth on the trailor to get all the spots. By the way, that's something one local marina didn't think was very important the LAST time I used them.

bohman

Even repainting is not a lot of fun. You either have to get it up off the trailor or move it back and forth on the trailor to get all the spots. By the way, that's something one local marina didn't think was very important the LAST time I used them.

Care to name names, for the benefit of the class? That sounds like straight laziness to me. I hope you didn't pay too much for that.

Care to name names, for the benefit of the class? That sounds like straight laziness to me. I hope you didn't pay too much for that.

No, and it's not really a marina, just marine repairs and supplies and they are way down Rte. 5 nearly to Point Lookout on the left. At the time they were the cheaper by the foot.