Was thinking about getting cable modem (GMP)

crazy_devil

After reading some of this, I am wondering should I get the cable modem or not. I'm still on dial-up no probs with them. But would like to have my phone line free while using the puter. I live in Wicomico Shores and they have 2way cable modem, although I hear some of country lakes have DSL. I know in Mechancisville across from the new Wawa where the half way house use to be they have DSL, so hopefully DSL will make it soon to my area. I hear DSL is pricy as well...anyone know of that? In addition, with using cable modem through GMP I hear you can choose between 2 different connection speeds, lower of course is cheaper (500,000 bps) the other is one million bps

crazy_devil, welcome to the forums.

Here's my two cents on GMP's cable modem service. I've been using it since April '02. I've been very satisfied with the service. With few exceptions, I've been online 24/7. I'm in Hollywood, within a couple mile of the GMP Office.

Within the past few weeks GMP has started a major upgrade to improve the system, and yes, I have had a few periods of extended outages recently. In in my last monthly bill I was notified this might happen during the upgrade.

In case you didn't know, GMP requires you to have the extended basic TV cable service in order to receive cable modem service. I pay $81.92 for TV and cable modem each month.

Since DSL isn't available for my area, I haven't compared that service. You can check Verizon's web site to see if DSL is available to you.

Y

yornoc

... If you do not have at least expanded basic, you will have to upgrade. If you already have at least that, then they will just add the internet access charges... at least that is the way it is with Comcast in Calvert.

Good luck! You'll love it! :banana: :banana: :banana:

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
I have Verizon DSL in Lexington Park. $29.95/MO for 768kbps/128kbps. The price was supposed to go up after the first few months, but I got a letter from them that it will stay the same $29.95.

A few years ago when HSAnet(now Western Shore Express) first came out with their cable modem service, it was fast. Then after about 6 months, it became popular in my neighborhood and became very slow and unreliable. Another 6 months, it was offline every Sunday for most of the day. After dealing with this for about a year and a half, we switched to Verizon DSL right when it was available in out part of town. We've had DSL for a little more than a year now and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

This is just my story, your milage may vary. Alot of the problems with cable modem is how old the cable is in your neighborhood. In my case, old.