Valium

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Do doctors prescribe it frequently? Can you just go to your regular doctor to get them?

No, doctors do not frequently prescribe valium. There needs to be a legitimate underlaying cause and then they will consider it. There are many other drugs available that doctors are more willing to prescribe that aren't as addictive or detrimental. However, many physicians will send or suggest that you go to a mental health professional for treament and proper diagnosis. "Shrinks" are the best course of action, not only can they properly prescribe medication, but they can also treat the underlying cause.

camily

Peace
No, doctors do not frequently prescribe valium. There needs to be a legitimate underlaying cause and then they will consider it. There are many other drugs available that doctors are more willing to prescribe that aren't as addictive or detrimental. However, many physicians will send or suggest that you go to a mental health professional for treament and proper diagnosis. "Shrinks" are the best course of action, not only can they properly prescribe medication, but they can also treat the underlying cause.

I just need it now to get through the next few weeks. Can you believe my sisters doctor wouldn't write her a prescription for anything without being seen? I mean come on, she just wanted to get through the funeral. Needless to say, she is no longer her patient. How did she expect her to come in when she was planning a viewing, a funeral and just managing to get up.

camily

Peace
Be very careful with benzodiazepines. They are very addictive.

You might try one of the non-benzos like Alpidem.

Whatever it takes. I don't plan on taking it long. Anyone have a doctor to recommend in the waldorf area that will do this? I really don't have a primary doctor.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I just need it now to get through the next few weeks. Can you believe my sisters doctor wouldn't write her a prescription for anything without being seen? I mean come on, she just wanted to get through the funeral. Needless to say, she is no longer her patient. How did she expect her to come in when she was planning a viewing, a funeral and just managing to get up.

I am not trying to sound non-sensitive to you or your sister, but can you imagine your doctor not checking her out and just prescribing something for her over the phone that causes her to get sick, suffer worse mentally (it is possible), or even kill her?! Again regular care doctors do not just prescribe anything. If they do, then they shouldn't be practicing medicine. Also primary care physicians are not the best versed in mental medications.

Call your insurance plan and immediately seek the consulation of a psychiatrist. They can order a mild dose sedative and schedule an appointment with treatment. However, if you just go around demanding drugs, nobody will prescribe them - because they worry you may be a junkie of some sort. :shrug: It's a valid medical concern.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
One possibility - Knowing the situation may be one reason the doctor did not want to prescribe something over the phone. They may be concerned as to the depths of your sister's grief and whether its wise to give her a medication that can be easily used to overdose. Your sister would never do that, she still has two children to raise, but the doctor has no way of knowing her state of mind. Just a thought.

camily

Peace
One possibility - Knowing the situation may be one reason the doctor did not want to prescribe something over the phone. They may be concerned as to the depths of your sister's grief and whether its wise to give her a medication that can be easily used to overdose. Your sister would never do that, she still has two children to raise, but the doctor has no way of knowing her state of mind. Just a thought.

That's true. We didn't think of that. Still, she could have just prescribed a couple pills. Nothing that she could OD on, just enough to get by.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
That's true. We didn't think of that. Still, she could have just prescribed a couple pills. Nothing that she could OD on, just enough to get by.

Benzos are all controlled, so it could be that the doc's hands were tied by regulations.

Is your sis and her family seeking out grief counseling? Many counselors (non-MDSs) work in offices along with Pscyhs who can prescribe meds if needed.

camily

Peace
Benzos are all controlled, so it could be that the doc's hands were tied by regulations.

Is your sis and her family seeking out grief counseling? Many counselors (non-MDSs) work in offices along with Pscyhs who can prescribe meds if needed.

Yes. Compassionate Friends is contacting her today.

SoMDGirl42

Do doctors prescribe it frequently? Can you just go to your regular doctor to get them?

William Boyd in Leonardtown prescribes these like they were vitamins. He's not my doctor, but I know someone who sees him. He'll go in for a cold and come back with a script for valium. WTF?:jameo:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Again regular care doctors do not just prescribe anything. If they do, then they shouldn't be practicing medicine. Also primary care physicians are not the best versed in mental medications.
I understand your point, but general practitioners can and do prescribe benzos all the time. For mild anxiety, it's kind of overkill to involve a shrink. The doctor should have the knowledge to recognize what they can and can't treat.

sux2b44

I heart CLeValley

Klonopin Rocks!!!!! Its a total chiller!!!!! :drool:

I take it when ever I am around my mother. It makes her visit a little less painful. :stabbingknifeineyes"

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
All of the previously given reasons for not prescribing xanax on the spot feel like they are all good and valid. Additionally, there is that part of grief where you need to be in touch with reality. As hard as it may be (and I can't think of much harder), a mother has to go through those stages of grief of the death of her child. On her own time and in her own way, yes. But we all try to avoid dealing with that which is most difficult to us. Some call is self-preservation, some call it doing what they have to to get by. Benzos and other meds can help, I suppose, but it simply masks the hurt - and you begin again right where you left off, sometimes with terrible side affects from the meds. And not having the comfort of those close to you around.

I feel it is very important to take a few minutes and have someone give you a check over, at least for the purpose of crisis incidence. Physicially, you have to be up to par to be presribed the meds as well, so give it a go. Don't take any chances. Follow Dr's orders.

I wish the best for your sister! :huggy:

sockgirl77

All of the previously given reasons for not prescribing xanax on the spot feel like they are all good and valid. Additionally, there is that part of grief where you need to be in touch with reality. As hard as it may be (and I can't think of much harder), a mother has to go through those stages of grief of the death of her child. On her own time and in her own way, yes. But we all try to avoid dealing with that which is most difficult to us. Some call is self-preservation, some call it doing what they have to to get by. Benzos and other meds can help, I suppose, but it simply masks the hurt - and you begin again right where you left off, sometimes with terrible side affects from the meds. And not having the comfort of those close to you around.

I feel it is very important to take a few minutes and have someone give you a check over, at least for the purpose of crisis incidence. Physicially, you have to be up to par to be presribed the meds as well, so give it a go. Don't take any chances. Follow Dr's orders.

I wish the best for your sister! :huggy:

I totally agree. All I wanted to do after losing my babies was take a chill pill and curl up in a ball. But, my family convinced me to go talk to someone. The counselor told me to go through the motions then discuss alternatives. I cried, threw things, hated God, snapped at everyone, locked myself in my room and then one day, I just woke up and felt better. It still hurts all of these years later but I gave myself the time to heal. If you get all drugged up to mask the pain without going through the motions, it'll be worse when it finally hits you. And it will!

R

Roxy1104

William Boyd in Leonardtown prescribes these like they were vitamins. He's not my doctor, but I know someone who sees him. He'll go in for a cold and come back with a script for valium. WTF?:jameo:

I disagree, totally. Perhaps your friend has a "condition" you are not aware of and Doc is. Dr. Boyd is a very good and reputable doctor. Last time I saw him when I was sick, he gave me sample antibiotics so I didn't have to dish out over $100 for 5 pills. In addition, I suffer from panic attacks and asked him for an RX for xanax, and he wouldn't write it.

Pandora

Yes. Compassionate Friends is contacting her today.

One of the ladies that works closely with that program is a close friend of our family, fine lady, just love her so much.

I cannot imagine your sister's pain, and my heart aches for her so much when I think about it. Even as I type this, I have tears in my eyes. She needs to be with those who can relate to her pain, who have been there and can help her get through this.