Liquor store recommendation?

Doc

Can anyone recommend a good liquor store in the Lexington Park area? I needed some brandy for a recipe, and made the mistake of stopping at the ABC Liquor store in Hickory Hills shopping center. There's a performance I won't soon repeat. I don't know which was more offensive: the clientelle (there were several other patrons in there, but when I walked in I think the total number of teeth doubled), the overpowering stench of cigarette smoke billowing in thick clouds, or the fact that it features a <i>drive-up</i> window. A drive-through liquor store??? When did that ever seem like a good idea???

Snow Shovel

Hickory Hills? Is that across from Sheetz on Chancellor's Run and 235?

I have tried the liquor store in the strip mall with KMart and Food Lion and the smell of cigarettes was nasty.:barf:

Use the base package store if you can, otherwise I don't know where. I think some of these liquor store owners use "rugged individualism" to disguise bad manners and a discusting habit.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
I like the one in that cheap gas station just north of Huntingtown, on Rte 4 heading north. I can find anything I want there very quickly.

watercolor

yeah yeah
I will have to agree with both Cari and Frank. The one in wildewood is nice. :)
Also, the one in huningtown is nice too, they have EVERYTHING!

Christy

b*tch rocket
Doesn't every establishment in St. Mary's have lottery tickets? :lmao:

Anyways, I can't believe so many people are so offended by the local liquor stores. It's a liquor store, not a Maceys for heavens sake! I actually prefer the rinky dink little dive liquor stores in the area, I've always been treated very nicely, and on more than one occasion (at different stores) they've carried my booze out to my car for me.

As for drive through liquor stores, I LOVE THEM! :yay: Talk about convenience, and they always have doggie biscuits to give my pooch when we drive through. I mean what the hell makes a difference if you drive in or walk in, you're still buying booze.

Lighten up, you all are acting like a bunch of snobs! :moon: :razz: ;)

watercolor

yeah yeah
I tend to agree christy. I know it sounded like I was a snob...but actually I am like you and absolutly LOVE the ABC drivethru!

And they have been very nice when helping me take it out to my car. :cheesy:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
It might not be in Lexington Park but the Leonardtown Sunoco has an excellent package store as part of their business, very reasonable prices, used to use them a lot when I was still drinking.

Doc,

You should have been here a few years ago when you could pull up to any one of several locations and get a drink to go through the drive up window (that has been stopped nowadays). Ahh, the good old days.

Snow Shovel

Don't get me wrong, the drive through doesn't bother me one way or the other. Kind of like the Brew Threws they have in the Outer Banks. Feature I don't use, but the fact that it is there doesn't impact me.

The remark about customers that look like they're out of a Fellinni movie; well I could have been one of those people.

It is a different matter if I have to hold my breath to go inside the store. If the whole place smells like an old used ashtray, then I won't be going in there often, and when I do, I probably won't stay long enough to buy anything.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Where's the pool tables?

Originally posted by joeyinlexpark

The smoke comes from the bar in the back, you should of stopped in and said HI to the regulars in there. :D
You know, I've lived in SoMD 20 years and until 2 years ago I never knew there was a bar in the back of that place. I saw someone go in there one day as I was parking and when I got in the store I was alone, so I asked the cashier, and she told me about the back. Any pool tables back there?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Doc
A drive-through liquor store??? When did that ever seem like a good idea???

Hey, until about 25 years ago, you used to be able to get mixed drinks ("go-cups") from the drive-through liquor stores!

A friend who used to live in Lexington Park complained that she had three or four liquor stores in her neighborhood but not one grocery store. (This was before McKay's moved to Great Mills Road). Do business owners believe that poor people buy more liquor and fewer groceries than wealthier people?

mercury_m

Do not go here!!!

My roomate wanted to get some Crown. He went to that liquor store on Great Mills Rd, the one in between Trick Trucks and Street Trendz. That dicounted tobacco/ liquor place. I was blown away. That guy is a little bit cheaper for a reason. My roomate bought the crown, came home, had a glass. He said it tastes funny. We all tried it and we all agreed. It was not crown. The guy must refill the bottles with the cheap stuff because whatever he gave us was horrible. We all know Crown, that wasn't Crown. I wish I had gone with him, it wasn't even as dark as crown. I think I may have to start something out of this. I'm boycotting that place, and everyone else should too.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
mercury_m said:
My roomate wanted to get some Crown. He went to that liquor store on Great Mills Rd, the one in between Trick Trucks and Street Trendz. That dicounted tobacco/ liquor place. I was blown away. That guy is a little bit cheaper for a reason. My roomate bought the crown, came home, had a glass. He said it tastes funny. We all tried it and we all agreed. It was not crown. The guy must refill the bottles with the cheap stuff because whatever he gave us was horrible. We all know Crown, that wasn't Crown. I wish I had gone with him, it wasn't even as dark as crown. I think I may have to start something out of this. I'm boycotting that place, and everyone else should too.

Isn't there a safety seal?

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
Doc said:
Can anyone recommend a good liquor store in the Lexington Park area? I needed some brandy for a recipe, and made the mistake of stopping at the ABC Liquor store in Hickory Hills shopping center. There's a performance I won't soon repeat. I don't know which was more offensive: the clientelle (there were several other patrons in there, but when I walked in I think the total number of teeth doubled), the overpowering stench of cigarette smoke billowing in thick clouds, or the fact that it features a <i>drive-up</i> window. A drive-through liquor store??? When did that ever seem like a good idea???

How long have you lived in SMC? We made the Guiness Book of World records for the most liquor stores per square mile! :lmao: I'm sure you'll find at least one store you like!

bcp

In My Opinion
Christy said:
Lighten up, you all are acting like a bunch of snobs! :moon: :razz: ;)

Yep, seen it before, right around my parts.

thats what happens when the city folk move into the rural areas.

first they get tired of the city and its crowds,
then they move to a better less congested place,
they they discover they have to actually drive to the nearest store
so they fight to get a store put in closer
then all their friends want to move there too, so a big community is built
then comes the beer store with all those fancy wines and high priced beer that are shipped in from other states (imports they call them) next thing you know people working in stores have uniforms and teeth.
before you know it, this just keeps on going until the rural area looks just like the city they ran from in the first place.

then they decide to move to a less congested area.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Hey everyone, someone used the "SEARCH" function before they posted! :yay: Mercury M should considered for poster of the day.

Crow Bait

Highest Average #of Teeth is probably Blue Wind... But I Patronize any of the local establishments that haven't been selling to minors.