Personal Trainer

Khurley

I was curious about the rate personal trainers charge when they work in a gym. I was thinking about using one, but wasn't sure of the cost. Also, for those of you that have used them - how long do you usually use their services until you are up and running.

I have been taking classes at the gym, but haven't really seen the results I want.

lovinmaryland

I was curious about the rate personal trainers charge when they work in a gym. I was thinking about using one, but wasn't sure of the cost. Also, for those of you that have used them - how long do you usually use their services until you are up and running.

I have been taking classes at the gym, but haven't really seen the results I want.

At my gym it is 10 sessions for $250. I am not sure how much it is for one session at a time.

I have worked w/ one off and on for a little over a year now and love it. It is nice to get some new techniques and moves to add t my routine. I normally meet w/ him right when I hit a platue (sp?)

Last edited:
C

CalvertNewbie

$250 sounds like a pretty good price for 10 sessions - I'm not sure if that's the going rate around here, but I've paid more. I've worked with trainers in the past (out of state) and loved it. It's a lot harder to skip the gym when you have an appointment to keep and it takes the "boredom" out of always doing the same routine. I found that working with a trainer kept me motivated to get to the gym. I worked with him 2x a week, off and on as needed.

I would recommend buying the 10 sessions and see how you feel after that. You may feel like you're ready to go on your own or you may find that you still need the help. You'll know when you're ready, everyone is different. Good luck!

KMPaddy2255

I take classes when I want to do cardio only! Cause man.....spin class....
wooooo! My other half used to be a personal trainer, so when I got
started on my routine he helped me out A-L-O-T! If it wasn't for
his routines, I do not think I would have seen the results I wanted
to achieve. I would check into it, and make sure your trainer is
certified. It is a great way to get you motivated! :yahoo: Good Luck!

GetFitBeHealthy

Really its not the trainers that set the rates, its the gym that they work at. Usually sessions are about $30 per session. It really depends on the gym they work at. If you are looking for a trainer to come to your house, that would be a bit more and up to the trainer.

It depends on your fitness level as goals as to how long you want to keep the trainer. Most gyms have you buy packages (5 sessions, 10 sessions, etc). But some also let you pay by the session (Maximum does this). You want to figure out how many times a week you want to meet with the trainer (once a week, some twice a week, some three times a week).

You could get the basics down and work with a few routines until they get old and then go back for more. I find that a lot of people like to stick with trainers. its really a motivator type thing. You cant talk yourself out of going to the gym when someone is there waiting for you, pushing you to get there which is nice! =)

I used to be a trainer, so if you have any questions feel free to ask!:howdy:

warneckutz

I've seen rates vary from $30-$100/hr (certain gyms in certain areas help dictate the cost).
Some people will use a trainer for a few sessions as a "refresher" or to totally re-invent their workout strategy.
How long to stay with a trainer is dependent on your goals (minor tweaks and changes won't require as much time as a complete overhaul, obviously) and the trainer's ability to present the information (some of the higher certs aren't worth much to a trainer if they can't break down the information to their clients, however a gym that employs trainers who answer five questions on an internet website to attain their certification wouldn't be advisable either).

If *I* were looking for a trainer, I'd observe all of the training staff in action to see how they interact with their clients and see who I'd mesh with. Some are very little talk, little personality but may obliterate you in the gym. Others may be a bit too wishy-washy and talk your ear off rather than stick to a training regimen.

Good Luck!

D

doubt_me

$250 sounds like a pretty good price for 10 sessions - I'm not sure if that's the going rate around here, but I've paid more. I've worked with trainers in the past (out of state) and loved it. It's a lot harder to skip the gym when you have an appointment to keep and it takes the "boredom" out of always doing the same routine. I found that working with a trainer kept me motivated to get to the gym. I worked with him 2x a week, off and on as needed.

I would recommend buying the 10 sessions and see how you feel after that. You may feel like you're ready to go on your own or you may find that you still need the help. You'll know when you're ready, everyone is different. Good luck!

you lack discipline!!

Khurley

Thanks for all of the advice!

I think I am going to talk to my gym about a trainer. I'm sure I need to add more weight training. I am doing 3-4 days of cardio classes with some weight now, but I don't think that is enough.

C

CalvertNewbie

you lack discipline!!

No, actually I don't. That's why I don't need a personal trainer to get to the gym 5 nights a week, even though I'm pregnant and exhausted every night. I have the discipline and self motivation I need. Thanks for your concern though. Your posts are always so motivational to all. :rolleyes:

When I started working out 10 years ago, I felt having that appointment with my trainer 2x a week helped me get to the gym instead of going to the happy hour which took place every night. Hey, I hung out with a bunch of lushes, what can I say?! :lol: Once I got in the routine of going to the gym, it was easy to keep going. Every so often, I would buy another set of sessions to change up the routine.

lovinmaryland

Thanks for all of the advice!

I think I am going to talk to my gym about a trainer. I'm sure I need to add more weight training. I am doing 3-4 days of cardio classes with some weight now, but I don't think that is enough.

Good Luck... When I first started w/ my trainer it was to have him show me how to incorperate weight training into my routine (cardio alone wasnt cutting it) I personally noticed a huge difference when I started weight training.