plyometrics

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Want some input on plyometrics. Any of you incorporate it in your workouts? If so what plyo exercises do you do for upper body? And how often do you do plyo in any given week?

Right now I do hand clap pushups and some medicine ball work once maybe twice a week. Looking for more.

B

Big Fatty

Lugnut

Why are you incorporating plyos? What are your goals in relation to having upper body plyos in your routine?

You might want to research Dynamic Effort(DE) modalities. For example, doing speed work on barbell flat bench presses. There are a ton of variations when using DE work.

If your goal is to build explosive pressing/pushing power, then what you are currently doing and DE work is the trick. Just have to play with proper loading/intensity, volume, rest/recovery, etc.

Let me know if I can be of any help. I use DE modalities in my training for upper and lower days.

:buddies:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Lugnut

Why are you incorporating plyos? What are your goals in relation to having upper body plyos in your routine?

You might want to research Dynamic Effort(DE) modalities. For example, doing speed work on barbell flat bench presses. There are a ton of variations when using DE work.

If your goal is to build explosive pressing/pushing power, then what you are currently doing and DE work is the trick. Just have to play with proper loading/intensity, volume, rest/recovery, etc.

Let me know if I can be of any help. I use DE modalities in my training for upper and lower days.

Thanks fatty, yes, looking for more explosive power/speed in pushing AND pulling movements. Not familiar with DE I'll start googling later, preciate it.

On the pulling side, a friend has begun doing chinups with a clap at the top. Didn't realize that was even possible! So I've started doing my chinups a little faster. I'd like to be able to duplicate what he's doing but we'll see.

I'm hesitant to work on a flat bench. I would like to be able to push through the entire motion and not have to decelerate or control a weight at the end of the movement. Plus I've seen some people hurt themselves that way. :lol:

Still stumbling over intensity/load/recup time.

B

Big Fatty

Thanks fatty, yes, looking for more explosive power/speed in pushing AND pulling movements. Not familiar with DE I'll start googling later, preciate it.

On the pulling side, a friend has begun doing chinups with a clap at the top. Didn't realize that was even possible! So I've started doing my chinups a little faster. I'd like to be able to duplicate what he's doing but we'll see.

I'm hesitant to work on a flat bench. I would like to be able to push through the entire motion and not have to decelerate or control a weight at the end of the movement. Plus I've seen some people hurt themselves that way. :lol:

Still stumbling over intensity/load/recup time.

When I was lighter (lol, 6 years ago I weighed a puny 195) I was able to do a few clap pullups. Now I weigh 230 and I struggle doing 15 regular! :lmao:

Injuries always dictate programming. Shoulder problems need to be addressed before applying DE methods to your routine. I see a lot of people get hurt due to poor technique on the bench press. Form should be addressed too.

Dynamic Effort is basically taking a submaximal load and applying maximal force. It can be done with almost anything. Should be noted on movements like the bench press, you do have to decelerate at the end of the movement. You could throw it similar to med ball throws but you know the risk. lol

Prilipen's Chart is worth your researching time too. It has helped my training dramatically. It takes some of the guesswork out of trying to figure out intensity/load/sets/reps.

lovinmaryland

A guy at my gym does those and he also does this thing w/ his legs (very hard to describe w/out actually seeing it) when he does pull ups its like he spreads them like the splits while doing a pull up... what ever it is he does.. it is amazing I just watch him in awww (plus he is smokin :hot:)

thurley42

HY;FR
A guy at my gym does those and he also does this thing w/ his legs (very hard to describe w/out actually seeing it) when he does pull ups its like he spreads them like the splits while doing a pull up... what ever it is he does.. it is amazing I just watch him in awww (plus he is smokin :hot:)

do you work out in the square? i saw a dude in there last tuesday doing that nonsense...

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
When I was lighter (lol, 6 years ago I weighed a puny 195) I was able to do a few clap pullups. Now I weigh 230 and I struggle doing 15 regular! :lmao:

Injuries always dictate programming. Shoulder problems need to be addressed before applying DE methods to your routine. I see a lot of people get hurt due to poor technique on the bench press. Form should be addressed too.

Dynamic Effort is basically taking a submaximal load and applying maximal force. It can be done with almost anything. Should be noted on movements like the bench press, you do have to decelerate at the end of the movement. You could throw it similar to med ball throws but you know the risk. lol

Prilipen's Chart is worth your researching time too. It has helped my training dramatically. It takes some of the guesswork out of trying to figure out intensity/load/sets/reps.

I've had shoulder probs in the past, DEFINITELY want to avoid them again. I do a lot of extra crap for the cuff/stabilizers.

In addition to continuing with the pullups, I'm going to try to rig something up with a rope and a sled or something for pulling movements at max effort. Figure out more once I've made a little progress. Thanks I'll go find the chart tonight.

i saw a dude in there last tuesday doing that nonsense...

"Nonsense?" :lol:

B

Big Fatty

I've had shoulder probs in the past, DEFINITELY want to avoid them again. I do a lot of extra crap for the cuff/stabilizers.

In addition to continuing with the pullups, I'm going to try to rig something up with a rope and a sled or something for pulling movements at max effort. Figure out more once I've made a little progress. Thanks I'll go find the chart tonight.

No problem dude. It's putting our heads together like this that helps us make progress. Where one door closes another opens. Or something like that.....

You starting this thread made me realize that I need to revisit and focus on this area of my own training program.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
No problem dude. It's putting our heads together like this that helps us make progress. Where one door closes another opens. Or something like that.....

You starting this thread made me realize that I need to revisit and focus on this area of my own training program.

You power lifters are kinda freaky. I was talking to a friend last night and he said one of the "fatties" at his gym does standing jumps to the top of a 44" box AFTER doing sets of heavy squats. :shocking:

thurley42

HY;FR
:killingme i did a set of heavy squats the other day....then immedately went into dumbell lunges....on the first one i didn't make it back to the starting position...:killingme

as far as your shoulder/s go...have you asked about surgery? I've had the same issue with both of mine and they keep trying to shove PT down my throat...I told them to just cut me but they aren't having it...i guess insurance reasons or something...

You power lifters are kinda freaky. I was talking to a friend last night and he said one of the "fatties" at his gym does standing jumps to the top of a 44" box AFTER doing sets of heavy squats. :shocking:

B

Big Fatty

LOL. That is one of the nicest compliments I have ever gotten on these forums. :lmao:

I have never measured my box jump height or my vertical. I can touch the rim on a basketball goal though. I am 5'8" and 230lbs. :pete:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
:killingme i did a set of heavy squats the other day....then immedately went into dumbell lunges....on the first one i didn't make it back to the starting position...:killingme

as far as your shoulder/s go...have you asked about surgery? I've had the same issue with both of mine and they keep trying to shove PT down my throat...I told them to just cut me but they aren't having it...i guess insurance reasons or something...

:lol: I know the feeling. Leg days are a love/hate thing for me.

NO SURGERY FOR ME!!! I stretch my shoulders every night and do PT exercises targeting the small muscles evey other day or so. It's helped significantly.

thurley42

HY;FR
:lmao:
:lol: I know the feeling. Leg days are a love/hate thing for me.

NO SURGERY FOR ME!!! I stretch my shoulders every night and do PT exercises targeting the small muscles evey other day or so. It's helped significantly.

i stretch them relentlessly but it doesn't seem to help. Mind you this has been going on for two years now...it hurts when i reach back to hold the bar during squats...presses don't hurt but any side or front raise kills me with anything over 15-20 pounds....and my bench suffers because the whole way down and at the initial raise I have pain shooting through my shoulders...it sucks...

I'm glad it helped. I'm not patient and couldn't stomach wasting my lunch break going to PT for the same moves over and over with no results...My solution to everything is surgery....

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
I'm glad it helped. I'm not patient and couldn't stomach wasting my lunch break going to PT for the same moves over and over with no results...My solution to everything is surgery....

I got fed up and finally gave in. I stopped ALL movements that caused pain or discomfort for several months. Started stretching slowly, and doing the repetitive crap every night. Strength dropped dramatically (to be expected) but it's coming back now and my range of motion without discomfort has improved a LOT.

Might want to get checked out by a sports doctor (hint, there are NONE in southern maryland) and see what he recommends. Around here, people are so lazy that if you can scratch your balls the doctors give you the :yay: clean bill of health! :lol:

thurley42

HY;FR
I got fed up and finally gave in. I stopped ALL movements that caused pain or discomfort for several months. Started stretching slowly, and doing the repetitive crap every night. Strength dropped dramatically (to be expected) but it's coming back now and my range of motion without discomfort has improved a LOT.

Might want to get checked out by a sports doctor (hint, there are NONE in southern maryland) and see what he recommends. Around here, people are so lazy that if you can scratch your balls the doctors give you the :yay: clean bill of health! :lol:

oh hell man..come on.. i wouldn't go to someone down here and call it a day...I went up to White Marsh to Johns Hopkins Ortho...then when they gave me the load of bull i went to PT in Leonardtown...but I definately went up the road for a second opinion...it's the same ol line of crap...I didn't do enough to keep my stabilizers strong, spent way too much time working the other muscles and the stablilizers didn't have to work as hard...i took some time off and then they were too weak to hold my rotator in place and it floats around in the socket...

Like i said..i'm just not patient..which means i need to quit whining....

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
oh hell man..come on.. i wouldn't go to someone down here and call it a day...I went up to White Marsh to Johns Hopkins Ortho...then when they gave me the load of bull i went to PT in Leonardtown...but I definately went up the road for a second opinion...it's the same ol line of crap...I didn't do enough to keep my stabilizers strong, spent way too much time working the other muscles and the stablilizers didn't have to work as hard...i took some time off and then they were too weak to hold my rotator in place and it floats around in the socket...

Like i said..i'm just not patient..which means i need to quit whining....

:lol: didn't mean to preach, jut hate the docs down here :lol:

:yay: