Second batch of chicks

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
After the horrible massacre of chicks earlier this summer on my farm, I've incubated another batch with four hatching out. This is a picture of them about 2 1/2 weeks old in their new cage after they outgrew the box I started them in. Going to keep them safe in the farmhouse for another month or so before I put them in the chicken coop with their mom and dad. I love waking up in the morning to the sound of chirping in the kitchen. They will be beautiful black and white chickens with spots when they get all their feathers in. I love spots, even on chickens.

Attachments

• chicks 3 weeks old.jpg
    chicks 3 weeks old.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 144

Cowgirl

After the horrible massacre of chicks earlier this summer on my farm, I've incubated another batch with four hatching out. This is a picture of them about 2 1/2 weeks old in their new cage after they outgrew the box I started them in. Going to keep them safe in the farmhouse for another month or so before I put them in the chicken coop with their mom and dad. I love waking up in the morning to the sound of chirping in the kitchen. They will be beautiful black and white chickens with spots when they get all their feathers in. I love spots, even on chickens.

They're cute! Just curious, why did you incubate them instead of letting mom raise them?

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
They're cute! Just curious, why did you incubate them instead of letting mom raise them?

I tried earlier this summer and a snake kept getting in the coop and eating the eggs so I started collecting them to incubate. I collect her one egg a day to use for cooking now. Hoping that a few of the chicks are hens so I can get a few more eggs each day. I'm looking for an alabaster egg to put in the nest. When the snake eats that, it won't be able to digest it and that will be the end of that snake. There are many wild things lurking in the shadows wanting their piece of pie...

Cowgirl

I tried earlier this summer and a snake kept getting in the coop and eating the eggs so I started collecting them to incubate. I collect her one egg a day to use for cooking now. Hoping that a few of the chicks are hens so I can get a few more eggs each day. I'm looking for an alabaster egg to put in the nest. When the snake eats that, it won't be able to digest it and that will be the end of that snake. There are many wild things lurking in the shadows wanting their piece of pie...

:ohwell: That's so frustrating, isn't it? Hopefully these chicks will do well!