Prayers?

Erin

Okay, I wasn't sure where to put this thread, but I guess asking for prayers might be the best route.
Here is the situation, a family member went to the doctors for an annual physical. The doctor called him back in the afternoon and said she didn't like his blood test, please come in to see me. He went in & was informed his white blood cell count was 97.9. The normal is between 11 - 14. Also he was told his hemoglobin was down (anemic) as was his red blood cells. So he had an appointment at Bethesda yesterday where they did a bone marrow test. We're waiting on the results, but the doctor said it was probably one of the following: Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia, small lyphocytic lymphoma, or low grade lymphoma. I've done research on all 3 and none sound like they are life threatening (at least for 20 years unless a turn for the worse came). They are going to give him chemo for 6 months, once a month.
Anyone know anything about any of these diseases? Good news or bad.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Ok- This is what I have found so far

low grade lymphoma- The commonest type of low grade lymphoma is called follicular lymphoma. About
40 out of every 100 (40%) low grade lymphomas diagnosed. It is also known as a type non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Every type is treated different.

Low grade = slow growing

The doctor will find out which type of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma you have by taking a lymph node out and looking at the cells under a microscope. This is a simple biopsy.

Non-Hodgkin's lymphomas can be classified in several different ways according to:
*The type of cell affected (B cell or T cell
*How fast they tend to grow or their 'grade'
*What the cells look like under a microscope
*How they behave clinically

To read more....Click Here

---------------------

CLL also known as Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia

Leukaemia is a cancer of the white blood cells, which are produced by the bone marrow. The four main types of leukaemia are acute myeloid (AML), acute lymphoblastic (ALL), chronic myeloid (CML) and chronic lymphocytic (CLL). Each type has its own characteristics and treatment.

Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia is a cancer of the white blood cells called lymphocytes. It is the commonest type of leukaemia. Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia mainly affects older people and is rare in people under age 40

Blood cells are normally produced in a controlled way, but in leukaemia, the process gets out of control. The lymphocytes multiply too quickly and live too long, so there are too many of them circulating in the blood. These leukaemic lymphocytes look normal, but they are not fully developed and do not work properly. Over a period of time these abnormal cells replace the normal white cells, red cells and platelets in the bone marrow.

The disease usually develops slowly and many people with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia do not need treatment for months or years. Some people need treatment straight away.

here is the site for
This One

-----------------------------
small lyphocytic lymphoma

10% to 20% of cases of small lymphocytic lymphoma progress to chronic lymphocytic leukemia.

Small lymphocytic lymphoma (SLL), which accounts for approximately 5% of non-Hodgkin's lymphomas in adults, is almost identical to chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) both morphologically and clinically. A somewhat arbitrary distinction is drawn between them based on the relative degree of marrow and nodal involvement and the numbers of circulating lymphoma cells.
As a lymphoma, SLL accounts for about 4% of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. As a leukemia, CLL accounts for about 30% of adult leukemias in Western countries. In SLL the patients are elderly (median age 60 years) and usually present with diffuse lymphadenopathy and some degree of marrow and peripheral blood involvement (Stage IV disease)

This lymphoma is very indolent but relentless, with median survivals of almost a decade. Although the slowly proliferating cells are sensitive to chemotherapeutic agents, chemotherapy is almost never curative and relapse inevitably follows. Most studies find no benefit in treating patients until they develop symptoms. Therapy tends to be low-intensity: single alkylator therapy such as chlorambucil or combination therapy with
cyclophosphamide/vincristine/prednisone. A new and promising drug is fludarabine, but it has not been shown to prolong survival. About 30% of cases of SLL progress to a higher grade process such as prolymphocytic lymphoma or diffuse large cell lymphoma (Richter's syndrome). Over time, 10% to 20% of cases of small lymphocytic lymphoma progress to chronic lymphocytic leukemia.

This is the site for
This one

Erin

Thank you

thank you WC! Good information, especially the last one - the source I used didn't give the same straight-forth details as that. When I first started researching, I thought he might have CLL because he had zero symptoms. We were shocked that anything was wrong, this was suppose to be a routine blood test. At any rate, the CLL and low grade lymphoma sound a lot better than the small lymphocytic lymphoma. We want him for a couple more decades, not just one! I really appreciate you investigating. I posted this thread because I figured someone knew another person with one of these diseases and might have some insight. Oh well, guess I'm putting the cart before the horse trying to figure out what it is before the doctors know. Just knowing the "what if's" has helped reduce the stress of the situation.

Last edited:

watercolor

yeah yeah
Re: Thank you

Originally posted by Erin
thank you WC! Good information, especially the last one - the source I used didn't give the same straight-forth details as that. When I first started researching, I thought he might have CLL because he had zero symptoms. We were shocked that anything was wrong, this was suppose to be a routine blood test. At any rate, the CLL and low grade lymphoma sound a lot better than the small lymphocytic lymphoma. We want him for a couple more decades, not just one! I really appreciate you investigating. I posted this thread because I figured someone knew another person with one of these diseases and might have some insight. Oh well, guess I'm putting the cart before the horse trying to figure out what it is before the doctors know. Just knowing the "what if's" has helped reduce the stress of the situation.

No problem what-so-ever! I know how scarey it can be. The "zero symptoms" issue is one of the worst too. Because you are not sure what the heck is happening- because you are supposively "fine".

Of course you want him for all eternity. I know that feeling all to well, I went through the same with my father. He passed almost 8 years ago december...Never ever do we want them to leave.I had the common kid problem of the whole bit of they are to be invincible- that is what we want in our lives and minds is common and understandable. Even though we all know better- but nevermind that right now...:huggy:

But just keep faith and know they are coming with new developments EVERYDAY and EVERY MINUTE! So- I got ya in my prayers and have my fingers and toes and whatever else I can cross for him. :huggy:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
What is his name? I will pray, but I like to be specific. Just a first name will do.

May God give you faith and comfort through the power of the Holy Spirit and the Love of Jesus Christ. May He heal your loved one. God is the same God, now and forever. He healed before; He can heal now.

Erin

His name is John. Thank you all so much. I didn't want to post too much info on here because we haven't told my brother yet, at least until we have more info. But I do appreciate the way people reach out, it is comforting, and it's like another little family I've got, without even seeing another's face.

Erin

CLL an SLL. Caught it early, he'll have chemo once a month for 5 months. When he goes in (to Bethesda) they will admit him for 5 days - and then he'll go back 4 weeks later for the next appointment. Everything else looked really good, so they're hoping he responds well to treatment and this will knock it out. Thanks for asking, we just got the diagnosis yesterday.

watercolor

yeah yeah
WTG For him, Erin. That is great news that they have determined what it is. :clap: I am very happy now that the "not knowing" part is over.

Got my prayers going for him- and my fingers crossed. :smile:

Erin

Good news

Talk about dragging out an old thread, but for good news I couldn't help it. My Dad had his evaluation after all the chemo and it looks like he is normal (red and white blood cell counts). The disease can return, but for now he is in good shape. The doctors are all amazed, we think it was a miracle. Thank you all for the prayers - they seemed to have worked. He goes back in April for routine blood work, but we can handle that.

Erin

Hey chickies

I've been busy with the baby, but I should have more time next week when I go back to work. Thanks PFG, I've missed ya'all as well. I remember fondly the days when I hadtime & could play on the forums.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: Hey chickies

I've been busy with the baby, but I should have more time next week when I go back to work. Thanks PFG, I've missed ya'all as well. I remember fondly the days when I hadtime & could play on the forums.

Good - I look forward to seeing more of you!! I'd love to go to lunch sometime...of course ONLY if you bring baby pics! :wink:

Z

zuchick

Okay, I wasn't sure where to put this thread, but I guess asking for prayers might be the best route.
Here is the situation, a family member went to the doctors for an annual physical. The doctor called him back in the afternoon and said she didn't like his blood test, please come in to see me. He went in & was informed his white blood cell count was 97.9. The normal is between 11 - 14. Also he was told his hemoglobin was down (anemic) as was his red blood cells. So he had an appointment at Bethesda yesterday where they did a bone marrow test. We're waiting on the results, but the doctor said it was probably one of the following: Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia, small lyphocytic lymphoma, or low grade lymphoma. I've done research on all 3 and none sound like they are life threatening (at least for 20 years unless a turn for the worse came). They are going to give him chemo for 6 months, once a month.
Anyone know anything about any of these diseases? Good news or bad.

Erin I am deeply sorrowed on reading this.. Can you give me the first name of the person who is sick so I could pray for him. Please PM his name to me.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Re: Re: Prayers?

Originally posted by zuchick
Erin I am deeply sorrowed on reading this.. Can you give me the first name of the person who is sick so I could pray for him. Please PM his name to me.

Not that you can't still pray for him, but didn't you read the update
Talk about dragging out an old thread, but for good news I couldn't help it. My Dad had his evaluation after all the chemo and it looks like he is normal (red and white blood cell counts). The disease can return, but for now he is in good shape. The doctors are all amazed, we think it was a miracle. Thank you all for the prayers - they seemed to have worked. He goes back in April for routine blood work, but we can handle that.