Pizza delivery man killed by strapped on bomb

K

Kain99

ERIE, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A pizza delivery man told police he had been forced to rob a bank and asked authorities to help him minutes before a bomb strapped to his chest exploded and killed him.

On Saturday, federal agents and police in northwestern Pennsylvania were trying to solve the bizarre case of 46-year-old Brian Douglas Wells, who left to deliver a pizza to a mysterious address in a remote area about an hour before he turned up at the bank with a bomb strapped to his body.

No one else was hurt in Thursday's explosion, which happened in front of law enforcement officers as they waited for a bomb squad to arrive.

WJET-TV of Erie captured audio and video from Wells as he sat handcuffed in front of a state police cruiser. "Why is nobody trying to come get this thing off me?" he asked.

Full Story

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I'll admit it's pretty strange. If he wasn't a real victim, he was an idiot.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:razz2: Might it have been something he ate?

Sad story to be sure, but remember he was living alone with three cats.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by penncam
remember he was living alone with three cats.
:lmao:

Penn, he wasn't old enough, female, nor did he have enough cats to be one of those crazy old cat people. :silly:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Bertha Venation
[BCan you imagine his terror? [/B]
You can't be serious. Why didn't he just take the bomb off? Think about this: you get hijacked by bad guys, who strap a bomb around your neck and tell you to go rob a bank. I can tell you that, the minute they "released" me, I'd be finding a way to get the bomb off.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:biggrin: Geez, I don't know Sharon; maybe he had female tendencies?
But, not that I'm a cat hater, but guys living with cats is downright
persnickity and goofy. It ain't natural! Now living with 3 dogs is altogether a different matter.

Those critters could have been posessed and gotten into his head like you see on the tube.:rolleyes:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by mainman
Can I add this to the list of words I don't like? :rolleyes: No offense penn...
:razz2: What's wrong with "persnickity"?

It's one of those old words you don't hear much of anymore, and besides, I always associated it in a comical or humerous-type situational use.

Kind of like "onry", which is Southern Maryland for mean, nasty and low-down, good for nothin......

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by vraiblonde
You can't be serious. Why didn't he just take the bomb off? Think about this: you get hijacked by bad guys, who strap a bomb around your neck and tell you to go rob a bank. I can tell you that, the minute they "released" me, I'd be finding a way to get the bomb off.
Yep. Me too. But I'd damn sure be doing it in terror.

And perhaps he had tried to get it off. Or perhaps he was paralyzed by fear. Or perhaps, if some assh*le had done this to the guy he'd offered psychological terror too, as in "try to take it off and it'll explode." Or, perhaps he was stupid, literally, not perjoratively stupid, as in low-IQ stupid.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:cool: I did not get enough information from the article regarding how the device was attached to the poor guy, other than it was strapped to his body.
Was there an electrical connection or circuit, which if disrupted might trigger it if he tried to get rid of it, or take it off?

We don't know that. Yeah, there was a timer on it, but that's about all they revealed(that's how it detonated).

Sure as heck it was not motion sensitive, or it would have detonated itself when he got in or out of the vehicle, or really anytime he moved.

I find the whole scenario incredible: your boss sends you out to deliver a pizza to some remote location, you get kidnapped, some lunatics strap a bomb on you and order you to go rob a bank for them.

I wonder if this is based on a true-life story......

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:biggrin: Now if the (repeat) lunatics had sent the guy out to a stranger's house to try to extort money for an unordered pizza - if that was the plan, well, I could follow along.

That would have been one "killer pizza", no?!?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How did he get handcuffed? Did the cops do that or did he show up cuffed? Plus that, he was only gone an hour between the time he left to deliver the pizza and when he turned up at the bank. No way, says I.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
How did he get handcuffed?
The cops pulled him over shortly after the bank heist and handcuffed him.

IMO that wasn't much of a bomb either. It left most of his body intact from what I could see in the pics. I'm beginning to think he did this to himself. It was just explosive enough to kill him and did little or no damage to his surroundings. When he was sitting near the police car he seemed to be too calm for just having robbed a bank and being strapped with explosives. I'm leaning towards nutjob. Everyone always says how nice and friendly someone is after they do something totally freaky. :lol:

If he'd have gotten away with the money maybe he would've taken the bomb off. When the cops got a hold of him, it was a whole new ballgame. Maybe he'd decided early on that if he was caught he was going to die. :shrug:

Surely they can trace the call from whomever ordered the pizza. What happened to the money, was it still in the car?